Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Barcode systems

Posted 02-10-2016 05:29 PM

My museum is considering implementing a barcoding system for our boxes, and hopefully for students and faculty to bring out with them in the field during field season ("Curation begins in the field!" is our new power mantra). I don't even know where to start when looking for equipment (or even deciding what we actually need to get going.)

Anyone else going through this/gone through this/ have advice??

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jenna Domeischel
    Blackwater Draw Museum Curator
    Eastern New Mexico University
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Barcode systems

Posted 02-11-2016 07:59 AM

Jenna,

I think the Autry Museum uses a barcode system for their collections.

Margaret Koch
    Deputy Director, Director of Exhibits
    Bullock Texas State History Museum
    Austin TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Barcode systems

Posted 02-11-2016 09:09 AM

I've used barcodes in the past with a good deal of success.  Each bag, box, and shelf location had a unique ID which was tied to a barcode.  The relationship between the barcodes was established through a Microsoft Access database.  This meant that one could simply scan a bag and see which box it belonged in.  It also made it easy to update locations of boxes (and thus all of their contents).

The barcodes can be printed on label paper (for shelf locations) or even HDPE tags (for artifact bags).  I've purchased through a local company (Electronic Imaging Materials), but the barcode printer is more widely available, model TSC TTP-247.

We used standard barcode scanners, like you'd see at a grocery store, but these days I bet there is something clever you could do with a smart phone or tablet instead.

Jennifer Poulsen

• 4.  RE: Barcode systems

Posted 02-11-2016 09:27 AM

Jenna--

I don't have any answers for you, but someone with the Alabama Historical Commission might be able to help you. They use barcodes to inventory the property at all of their historic sites.

Jonathan Plant
    Museum Director
    John E Conner Museum
    Texas A&M University-Kingsville

• 5.  RE: Barcode systems

Posted 11-02-2016 11:38 AM

Hi -

I'm new to AAM; so the issue was posted earlier this year, but I'm sure the barcode question still lingers for some people.

An alternative to a barcode is the QR code - those square images you see lots of places.  Advantages:  QR code readers are free - it's an app for any smartphone. Generating a QR code is free via several web apps. QR codes contain duplicate information - i.e., they can incur some damage but still work.  QR codes are connected to a web page - so added information and links can be included in the data. QR codes can be restricted to internal access or shared with the public, depending on your use - e.g., The Henry Ford Museum offers tours via QR code.

Regards,

Greg Moss

International Society of Antique Scale Collectors

ISASC - International Society of Antique Scale Collectors

Isasc remove preview
    ISASC - International Society of Antique Scale Collectors
    the collection, study and preservation of antique scales, weights and measures. The society's purpose is to bring together collectors to encourage friendships and promote the exchange of information thereby significantly enhancing the overall experience and pleasure of collecting. Founded in 1976, there are two chapters located in North America and Europe with members throughout the world.
    View this on Isasc >

Greg Moss
    Waterford MI

• 6.  RE: Barcode systems

Posted 11-03-2016 06:14 AM

Hi all,

a few thoughts in regards to barcodes vs. QR. We have looked into both (in fact, also into RFID) and finally chose barcode.

The advantages of QR are wonderfully described by Greg.

However, when it comes to object tracking like we do it at our museum they couldn't play out their full ability. Here's the reason why we chose barcode in favour of QR:

• While it's true that QR reader apps for smartphones are free, this doesn't really help if you haven't a smartphone version of your database to operate directly with it. In addition, the QR code reading apps use the camera of the smartphone, so it takes some time to snap the code. No significant delay when it comes to scanning for getting a text or pictures for a tour, but very cumbersome in logistics.
    • Professional QR scanners do a great job scanning fast, but as they need two lasers instead of just one they are more expensive than barcode scaners
    • True that you can read QR even when they are considerably mingled because of redundancy, but that's also true for barcode who only fail if one complete bar is missing, which is rare.

As the only information we needed to transport with the code are our accession numbers, box numbers and locations there was no need for the ability to store large amounts of information on our website.

I think QR is great for guiding tours and having different options like different languages on labels or even to provide access to an online database. When it comes to object tracking, however, you have to look close on your workflow and logistics and then decide which is the best way to go.

Whatever system you chose: make sure that you can still act if technology fails (i.e. have a human readable version of numbers in addition to the code).

We researched coding collections in 2014 and implemented it in 2015. Wouldn't want to go back, no matter what!

Best wishes

Angela

Angela Kipp
    Depotleiterin / Collections Manager
    TECHNOSEUM
    Mannheim, Germany
    angela.kipp@museumsprojekte.de

Join the Regisrar Trek at
    http://world.museumsprojekte.de