Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-14-2014 05:13 PM
    Looking for thoughts and suggestions:

The museum is working to expand it's adult education program to appeal to a younger, local crowd. What are ways that your organization has drawn in this group? Perhaps through programming or incentives? How do you communicate that the museum is theirs and to build ownership and investment?

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------------
    Grace Davis
    Assistant Curator of Education and Exhibits
    National Museum of Wildlife Art
    Jackson Hole WY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-15-2014 09:04 AM
    My museum (the Science Museum of Western Virginia) has an after-hours program several times a year called Butterflies @ 5.  It's technically not just for adults but the audience is mostly adults, and from what I've observed we have a lot of people in their 20s and 30s who come.  Attendees get to explore the museum, they get one free drink, and we have a short program of usually music or dance.  The event culminates with a release of some of our newly-emerged butterflies into our butterfly garden - that's the real draw for the event.

We don't get huge crowds, but we consistently have around 30-40 people attend, including many who are new faces.  It's pretty reasonably priced ($25) for a Friday evening event, and I think the experience of releasing butterflies is unique enough to draw people in.

Miriam Musco
    Director of Education
    Science Museum of Western Virginia
    Roanoke VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-16-2014 03:53 PM
    We did a series of four "Breakfast with the Raptors" where a raptor rehab center brought in different birds - bald eagle, hawks, owls, etc. each time. There was a catered breakfast with the birds in the background (great photo-ops) in our lobby and a special program afterwards in the auditorium. Was it successful? Yes. Was it an event we'd keep doing? No.

I think offering a variety of programs connected to your interpretive themes is a good idea over the long-term. Experiment!

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 4.  RE: After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-16-2014 11:32 AM

Hi there--

At The Phillips Collection we've built a very robust series of after hours programs. One of the most lively events, our monthly Phillips after 5, tends to draw between 600-800 visitors between 5 and 8:30 pm. Most of our constituents are 21-35--though the event attracts all ages. 

Some of the lessons I've learned along the way (we debuted the program in 2008):

Keep the programming fresh--we change our focus every month and use the collection and special exhibitions as a point of departure. 

Don't be afraid to play or experiment. This audience loves being surprised at what you CAN do at a museum. 

Work with your colleagues. At our museum their is a cross departmental team that provides input and helps shape the programming.

Keep the calendar consistent. Our program occurs the first Thursday of every month. The audience knows if they miss one month they can always come the next one.

Leverage your community. We frequently partner with area cultural organizations to help shape the programming. This allows us to diversify our approach and has the added benefit of being able to cross-promote to their constituents. 

Food/drink/music is a must. We vary our menu, have special punches or tastings...and this keeps the audience coming back.

Hope this helps and happy to discuss further if you'd like! Just let me know.

Brooke Rosenblatt
    Head of Public Engagement
    The Phillips Collection
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-16-2014 12:06 PM
    Our museum has written an entire report on initiatives in the area of young adult programming, especially our final Friday of the month Untitled. Find it online at

denverartmuseum.org --> research & reports --> creativity, community & a dash of the unexpected

Laura Caruso
    Sr. Editor & Manager of Museum Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: After Hours Programming for Adults

Posted 10-17-2014 10:36 AM
    Thanks, Laura, for the link to the report. I started reading it and it is very inspiring. I had a lot of success reaching the 18-35 demographic at the Chemical Heritage Foundation here in Philadelphia, particularly with the monthly First Friday programs. Over the course of five years, we were thrilled to develop a lot of repeat visitors, and even more thrilled when those people started showing up at other types of programs. I'm now at a new position and very eager to engage this audience again, but I'm getting a lot of resistance from above to creating the relaxed, fun programming that most appeals to this group. 

Gigi Naglak
    Curator of Museum Education
    American Philosophical Society Museum
    Philadelphia PA