Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-27-2016 07:08 PM
    We are updating our HR policies for vacation days and sick leave.  Employees accrue x days of vacation per month and y days of sick leave per month.  
    Some on the board are suggesting that the accrual of vacation and sick leave should begin 90 days after an employee starts.  Others argue that these benefits should start accruing immediately on Day 1  (though there could be a restriction on taking vacation or sick leave during the first 90 days).
    What is the practice in other museums?  Do the benefits begin accruing immediately or is it common to start the accrual 30, 60 or 90 days after an employees' first day?

Thanks,
    Arno Puskar

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-28-2016 09:24 AM

It is very common for accruals to not start right away. I have had one that was 60 days. Other times, you can accrue, but not use, leave during that period. I don't think they're wrong to suggest such. 

My museum's leave policy is kind of weird. We get all our leave for the year, based on the number of hours worked the year past, on January 1. Those who didn't start until late in the year sometimes only have one day of leave for the entire next 12 months...so they work 13 months, if they started in Dec, before receiving their standard benefit. I wouldn't suggest that to anyone!

------------------------------
    Jillian Becquet
    Collections Manager & Registrar
    Corpus Christi Museum of Science & History
    Corpus Christi TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-28-2016 09:32 AM
    Edited by Geoffrey Woodcox 01-28-2016 10:11 AM

Granted I work for state government and not a regular 501(c)3, but our leave starts accruing right from the first day and is available on our first paycheck.  As an employee I appreciate that because it can take a long time for a significant amount of leave to accrue, especially when you're just starting out at an organization and you're at the bottom tier as far as the amount of leave you earn per paycheck.  It took 3-4 months before I was done crossing my fingers and hoping I didn't come down with the flu, so the sooner that gets started, the better.

Those are my thoughts.  I hope you're able to find a solution that works for everyone!

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-28-2016 09:58 AM

We have just updated our policy.  We reviewed several policies shared with us by AAM based on budget/comparable museums.  We also have an HR professional on our board who allowed us to review her organization's policy.  She has also been on the board of another non-profit organization who allowed her to share their policy with us for review. With all of that information, our board approved the following for full time staff members.  Also, we have added graduated amounts based on years of service.  We felt a good vacation, sick leave and holiday package would be an important aspect for recruitment and maintaining good staff. 

Accrue monthly starting at first day of employment.
    Eligible to take starting at 6 month anniversary.
    If your employment ends prior to 6 months, no vacation time will be paid.

To determine how our organization compares to yours for feasibility, here is some information about our organization. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.  We just completed our 2nd year of operations.  Budget is approximately $400,000 per year.  Staff varies from 2-3 Full time staff, 2 part-time professional staff (bookeeper, guest services manager) and 2 part-time (guest services, administration).  We are located in a more rural community though we are bulls eye between Charlotte, NC, Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Warm regards,

Emily

Emily Epley
    Executive Director
    The Earl Scruggs Center
    Shelby NC

• 5.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-28-2016 01:12 PM
    Arno

Our new employees begin accruing on day one of employment.  This could also include annual leave brought from their previous Museum if they were Federal.  We have a combination of Federal and Donated staff which accrue the same to include sick leave.  All new employees are still in the "probation" phase, however, all benefits such as leave, sick leave etc begin to accrue immediately.

Dana

Dana Carroll United States Holocaust Memorial Museum 

Director  of Museum Services 

100 Raoul Wallenberg Place SW  Washington DC 20024-2126
    Office 
    202.488.6595 Cell 202.607.7222  Fax 202.488.6568       

NEVER AGAIN: WHAT YOU DO MATTERS

Support the Campaign for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

• 6.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-28-2016 01:12 PM

Accrual of PTO starts from day one and there are no restrictions on when the time can be used.  Additionally, sick and vacation time is not segregated.  We have PTO that can be used at the employee's discretion.  In every way, I appreciate the maximum flexibility that this policy affords the employees of our organization.  

Kristy Griffin
    Curator of Collections & Exhibits
    Sitka Historical Society
    Sitka AK

• 7.  RE: HR policy - vacation and sick days

Posted 01-29-2016 09:25 AM

Our time off policies begin to accrue immediately and employees do not have a waiting period before they can use them. We do not allow them to go negative.

That being said, be sure to consult with HR as there may be state and/or local laws that have specific requirements.

Roslyn Schaffer, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
    Director of Human Resources
    The Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia, PA
    rschaffer@barnesfoundation.org