Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Industry Standard on Interpretive Training

Posted 01-26-2016 11:02 AM

Hello,

I was recently told about an opportunity to attend National Association for Interpretation Certified Interpretive Guide (NAI CIG) training.  I have heard from multiple sources that this THE interpretive training to receive.  I have a few questions regarding the training and certification.

1. Is NAI CIG training considered a sort of industry standard for museum education planning staff?

2. Do organizations typically pay or do cost share for education staff or even volunteer tour guides to go through this training? Is it considered continuing education that the individual person should handle?

3. Are there scholarships or other funding sources available?

4. Any other helpful knowledge and advice?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

------------------------------
    Kristin Martin
    Education Director
    Museum of World Treasures
    Wichita KS

• 2.  RE: Industry Standard on Interpretive Training

Posted 02-01-2016 06:15 PM

Hi Kristin,

This is excellent training. We sent one of our staff members through the intepretive planning certification years ago. And a current staff member went through the one you mentioned. I think it is an industry standard for parks and nature centers. I haven't seen it as much in the museum realm, but wonder why not. The story drives everything and I've seen many museums that would have done a better job of telling their stories if they had used this approach.

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL