Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summer Camp Check-in!

Posted 01-22-2016 12:46 PM

Looking for some basic benchmarking data on Summer Camps - particularly around capacity.

If you have summer camps, can you please tell me:

--What museum/science center?

--How many weeks do you offer them?

--How many kids (in total) attend your entire camp season?

--What is the average number of kids you can support for each of your camps?

--What age range do you serve?

Thank you!!

TMM

------------------------------
    Tonya Matthews
    Michigan Science Center, Detroit MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Summer Camp Check-in!

Posted 01-25-2016 08:14 AM

Hello!

I'm the program manager for Children and Family Programs at Carnegie Museum of Natural History, so summer camps are my realm.  Answers to your questions below!

--What museum/science center?

Carnegie Museum of Natural History (Pittsburgh, PA)

--How many weeks do you offer them?

We typically offer 10-11 weeks of camps.  The number of camps per week varies (with more offerings/week available in "peak summer"-- i.e. late July-Early August).

--How many kids (in total) attend your entire camp season?

Over 900

--What is the average number of kids you can support for each of your camps?

Capacity changes based on the age of the campers and the size of the room where we'll be hosting a particular camp group, but the typical range is between 15-24 as the maximum capacity. 

--What age range do you serve?

We offer half-day camps for 4-5 year olds (must be 4 by the start date of your camp).  We offer a unique, full-day camp for 5 year olds (must be 5 by May 1 of the camp year) that provides rest/quiet time and separate lunch and recess periods from our other campers.  We also run full-day camps for kids 6-13 (split into three age groups: 6-7s, 8-10s, 11-13s).

11 weeks of camp is A LOT of camp, but it serves us well, and we have a number of kiddos who spend upwards of 9 of those weeks with us.

Hope that information is useful,

Bethanie

Bethanie Thompson
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Summer Camp Check-in!

Posted 01-25-2016 10:07 AM

Great questions. I'd like to know as well. Additionally, how much do you charge per week of summer camp. Thanks'

Melissa Felder
    Chief Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA