Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-21-2015 09:16 AM
    I seek help in identifying museum-based or similar collection-centered operations that include (of have retired) programs that connect kids at risk with their collections. Thanks. Susan Nichols
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-22-2015 01:11 PM
    Steve Davis teaches photography here at The Evergreen State College, and has done portraits of incarcerated youth.  He sent the info below.

Somewhat related to your question, Evergreen Gallery is showing an exhibition "Prison Obscura" curated by Pete Brook (SF-based) and touring via Haverford College, PA.

The Experimental Gallery, managed by Susan Warner SWARNER@museumofglass.org.  I had the opportunity to photograph and teach photography in juvenile facilities through this program several years ago.  Some of the work created by incarcerated juveniles toured Seattle high schools.

Steve

steve davis | coordinator of photography & media curator | 360.867.6263 | the evergreen state college | olympia, wa  98505 | photo.evergreen.edu | evergreen documented

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-23-2015 06:09 AM

Hello Susan,

I am Colette Frantz, president of Oracle Art & Museum Consulting Services. We provide several options for museum art education classes and visual literacy trainings which includes programming for incarcerated youth. I am myself uniquely qualified to teach art courses which compliment common core standards for the population you are working with. In addition to being a master level museum studies professional and art educator ( PA certified private school art and social studies teacher), I am also a former mental health and addictions counselor working with incarcerated youth and their families. I provide studio arts programming and special exhibits with Oracle Art & Museum Consulting, in addition to other services that may be of interest to your organization. Our website is down for maintenance at the present time but please feel free to contact me at 570.490.6322, or email Heim.frantz@gmail.com to learn more about current course offerings. I will be happy to email a brochure as well.

------------------------------
    Colette Frantz,M.A.,M.S.Ed
    Oracle Art & Museum Consulting
    185 AJK Boulevard #184
    Lewisburg, PA 17837-7491

• 4.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-24-2015 06:37 AM
    HI Susan,

The Muscarelle Museum of Art in Williamsburg, VA has a ongoing program for the incarcerated at our local jail. It started a couple of years ago. I will send the docent involved your inquiry.  Shirley Confino-Rehder cid

• 5.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-24-2015 11:06 AM

Wow--that is awesome!

Traci Takahara Slacum
    Educator
    Griffith Observatory
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-23-2015 09:30 AM

Hi Susan,

Next Practices in Art Museum Education includes two, from the Timken Museum of Art and the Clark Art Institute. If you'd like more information you can email me at awade at aamd dot org.

Alison Wade
    Chief Administrator
    Association of Art Museum Directors
    New York NY
    aamd.org

• 7.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-24-2015 06:44 AM

Susan, Beside this address, what is the best way to contact you?  

Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

• 8.  RE: programs for incarcerated and/or youth at risk?

Posted 12-24-2015 09:58 AM

Hi Susan,

The Museum of London has done some great work in this area.

You can access a descriptive publication at: 

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/files/9913/7242/9424/VolunteerInclusionProgramme.pdf

Best,

Robert Waller
    President and Senior Risk Analyst
    Protect Heritage Corp.
    The Protect Heritage Corp.