Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  technology in the galleries, ipads?

Posted 12-11-2015 10:22 AM
    Our museum is looking to add tech components to temporary and permanent exhibits. We are considering using ipads to enhance the exhibits. Most of the research I have found dates back to 2011-2012. I'm looking for newer information.

We started looking into simple kiosk apps, OnCell, Intuilab, and MyOrpheo. We have also been drooling over the Cleveland Museum of Art's ArtLens program! 

Questions: 
    What programs/apps does your museum use? Did you create them in-house or hire out? 
    Pros and Cons of the programs you use?
    What would you recommend? 
    How have your visitors responded? 
    Do you use ipads or another device? How do visitors check them out/return them? 
    Does the program/device you use require a lot of maintenance? 
    What is your ratio of device to visitor? 

Also, does anyone have digital scrapbooks in their galleries? 

Thanks! 
    Melanie Wier
    Assistant Curator
    Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
    210 Parkside Drive
    P.O. Box 488
    West Branch, IA 52358

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: technology in the galleries, ipads?

Posted 12-14-2015 07:19 AM
    Hi Melanie,
    there are many ways to use iPads in a gallery, some cheap and easy, others more complicated and expensive. I would begin by asking what content or experience will the iPad deliver to your audience that is not already being addressed by your objects, labels, videos, and exhibition design. Then you'll have a more specific set of questions to ask.

That being said, The Museum at FIT uses iPads frequently. Most often we use KioskPro and Apple's own Guided Access to "lock-down" the iPads that display pdfs that we've made in house. The iPads need to be locked into a special stand that prevents visitors from touching the "home" button. If you load the pdf to the iPad itself, it won't go down and VERY little maintenance is needed.. If you point to it on a server, you need wifi/internet. Our wifi sometimes goes down and the iPads need to be reset.

More expensive options include designing a custom app, an interactive experience, or a game.

I suggest starting with what you want to do and why.

Have fun!
    --
    Tamsen Young

Museum Digital Media and Strategic Initiatives Manager
    The Museum at FIT
    New York City
    www.fitnyc.edu/museum

Visit our collections online | Find us on Facebook |  Twitter |  Instagram

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: technology in the galleries, ipads?

Posted 12-14-2015 10:30 AM

Hello Melanie,

Although I have not been involved with this sort of tech in the galleries, there is a museum here in Newport that used it from the beginning -- The Audrain Automobile Museum. They have been tuning up the system since their opening a year ago, and it seems to work pretty well, from a visitor's standpoint. One of the staff folks told me they can make additions and corrections to any iPad (there is one for each car on view) from their desktop computers. You can reach the staff at: http://audrainautomuseum.org/contacts/

Good luck with your project,

Bruce

------------------------------
    Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI

• 4.  RE: technology in the galleries, ipads?

Posted 12-16-2015 09:21 AM

There in use in our exhibits and temporary setups. As I'm the only person within my department, one of the issues for me is ensuring that there is an always on power source, as I don't have time to collect, charge and re-install the unit for each exhibit installation. People enjoy them, but I see them engage more heavily with the non-tech objects versus the iPads. KioskPro Plus is what I use to script the units. Personally, I'm encouraging our organization to invest in museum specific apps that can be used on patrons personal smart device. I see it as a way to reduce the impact of down time, equipment replacement and constant maintenance.

------------------------------
    Rochelle Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA