Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-09-2015 08:34 AM

Hello Tracey,

We have also faced this issue. As someone who has had many years in HR (with experience in compensation work), but is new to museums, I was very surprised at how many positions were not benchmarked in the national surveys that are out there.  Our museum used only the AAMD survey for years, so one of my first challenges in this position was to look for additional resources.  (The rule of thumb in compensation is to have 3 data sources when benchmarking positions.)  

I was able to find another source, specifically to benchmark front line positions such as the retail associates in the shop and Visitor Services, as well as positions in Finance and Facilities.  I contacted our Connecticut Association of Non-Profits, to obtain their most recent non-profit salary survey.  I learned,though, that they had actually stopped doing the survey due to a lack of participation (too bad!), but they did offer an alternative. They had an agreement with PayScale (a national salary survey company), and for the same price as the Association's former salary survey, I could benchmark up to 25 positions, and they would pull the data through PayScale.  This turned out to be a bargain, because I only paid for the positions I needed. So if you have a local non-profit association, that may be a good place to start.

I just recently participated in a "National Museum & Cultural Institution Compensation Survey", sponsored by 4 large museums, and the museums which participated were varied in size and location.  The submission window has closed, but they haven't published the data as of yet.  It did include various levels of Visitor Services positions, such as Lead, Associate, and Assistant.  It did not include shop associates, but overall I was delighted that there was more than just the top couple of positions for each department surveyed.  Development, for example, had 16 different job titles.

I am very interested in establishing an HR group of AAM members, starting small with a regularly scheduled conference call, as I am sure we have many of the same issues.  Having discussions and sharing information I think is one of the best ways to help each other, and to grow the HR function in museums.  If you like, I would be happy to schedule a call with you if you would like to talk about compensation benchmarking further (or any other HR topic)!  Please feel free to reach out.

Hope you find this helpful, and Happy Holidays!

------------------------------
    Christine A. Engel, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
    Chief Human Resources Officer
    Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art
    Hartford CT
    christine.engel@wadsworthatheneum.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-10-2015 09:27 AM

Hello,

We have also used PayScale but found that their benchmarks were way off base for our metropolitan area, I wish I had known about the National Museum & Cultural Institution Compensation Survey as we would have gladly participated!

I would also be interested in participating in a group of HR leaders in museums as we have many of the same challenges.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Roslyn Schaffer, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
    Director of Human Resources
    The Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia, PA
    rschaffer@barnesfoundation.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-11-2015 11:37 PM

Hi Christine

Interestingly enough--Event Networks-who contracts with the three museums I worked at--pays significantly better. You may want to contact them. I'm not sure what they pay now--My memory is our guest relations and Event Networks staff were paid around $12/hr and $17/hr, respectively- quite a few years ago. I believe the California Association of Museums conducts a salary survey--they might be of help.

Traci

Traci Takahara Slacum
    Educator
    Griffith Observatory
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-10-2015 10:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I love this discussion and would be very interested in sharing data about Frontline Positions.  I am fairly new to the museum field but, have over 20 years of experience in non-profits and understand the unique challenges we face in staying competitive for top talent, especially in these crucial positions that are often among the lower paid.

I would be very interested in an AAM HR Group and would gladly participate!

Kimberly Bountress
    Baltimore Museum of Art
    Baltimore MD
    kbountress@artbma.org

• 5.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 02-04-2016 12:08 PM
    Edited by Jessica Strom 02-07-2016 12:55 PM

I agree, despite these positions are some of the lowest paid. It varies from state to state and even in the same cities. I am of the belief in general that a higher pay grade prevents excessive turnover and also brings in a higher caliber of employee when they are being properly compensated for their time and effort. But depending on the museums fiscal stability,higher pay is not always possible. In some cases it is not a paid position at all, there are many institutions that have those spots run by volunteers. There really isn't a wrong or right way, just what works best for that organization. 

Jessica Strom
    Briscoe Western Art Museum
    San Antonio, TX

• 6.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-11-2015 08:17 AM

I would also be interested  in participating in a users group on HR topics

Sue Kuck CPA
    Controller
    Saginaw Art Museum
    Saginaw MI

• 7.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 12-11-2015 08:40 AM

I would love to be a part of this discussion.

Renee Falbo
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 01-28-2016 09:55 AM

Good morning,

I just found this discussion as I am looking for additional salary survey data and ideas on how to benchmark some of our positions.  I would also be very interested in being a part of an HR group of AAM members.

Thank you!

Meredith

Meredith Clayton
    Benefits and Compensation Manager
    Philadelphia Museum of Art
    Philadelphia PA

• 9.  RE: Salary Survey - Front Line Positions

Posted 01-29-2016 01:46 PM

Salaries are a topic we've devoted some blog postings to recently. Last week's post which you can find here: Museums and the Salary Conundrum drew almost 7,000 responses. Not definitive, nor scientific, but clearly an indication that salaries at a multitude of levels--front of the house, back of the house-- in the museum world are an issue. 

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT