Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-27-2015 05:56 PM
    Hi Colleagues--

I'm working on a project where we're contemplating using video as part of a tour, in a fully furnished period room and we're trying to puzzle out how visitors will react to it.  There are some challenges in prototyping, but we will give it a try in some way.  But to help inform our thinking, I'd love to hear from anyone who has used or seen a video installation (wall mounted, tablets, whatever) as something you encounter during a guided tour.  The only one that comes to mind is Lincoln's Cottage, so we're looking for other examples.

Thoughts on what worked, what didn't, what you would change if you could, greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Linda

--
    linda@lindabnorris.com
    lindabnorris.com
    607-829-3501     Treadwell, NY  13846

Want to up your creativity?  Check out Creativity in Museum Practice
    Like museums?  Check out the Uncataloged Museum
    Like food?  Take a look at the Pickle Project

Subscribe to Take 5, monthly e-news from 5 talented colleagues.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-28-2015 09:06 AM

Hi Linda,

We have some videos in our museum. But I think you might get the best feedback from the Historic Columbia Foundation here in South Carolina. They use video in the Woodrow Wilson House – which interprets Reconstruction in Columbia. They just opened it a year ago and it is simply amazing. They have done several studies of their videos and use them in their guided tours. I hope that helps.

http://www.historiccolumbia.org/woodrow-wilson-family-home

Good luck,

JoAnn Zeise

Curator of History

South Carolina State Museum

301 Gervais St.

Loading Zone D

Columbia, SC  29201

SouthCarolinaStateMuseum.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-28-2015 12:01 PM

We have used video to add to our Christmas program. Our site interprets the home of a family who were associated with the home for 5 generations – the last changes basically made in the 1960's. We talk about the different periods celebrated by the family while living in the house – shown on video are ads of toys from the 1960's – slinky / Barbie and ken – I have found that it brings back memories for our visitors. They always get a chuckle out of the video. I'm interested in hearing how others use it.

Cheers

Marilynn

• 4.  RE: Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-28-2015 01:35 PM
    I recently attended a docent tour at President Lincoln's Cottage in Washington D.C.  It was excellent use of iPad/ video - prompted through iPad  - projections on floor of images - A very revered,historic place -  a tour so well done with modern technology.  Here is their website http://lincolncottage.org/

Mina Shea
    Docent, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
    Vice President, National Docent Symposium Council

• 5.  RE: Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-29-2015 10:24 AM

Hello Linda!

We integrate short videos as appropriate. Oue educators and public tour guides will often show a short video on a tablet, or, if giving a stationary talk in the spaces, at a video screen. However, we have just installed some kiosks througout the ship that contain short video clips of former crew members' oral histories interwoven with historic images. (I am at the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum, and the aircraft carrier Intrepid is a National Historic Landmark. As men lived and worked on board, it functions in some ways like a historic building). It actually is a lovely way to enliven the spaces - hearing the voice of someone who actually slept there or ran that piece of equipment, etc. and seeing the images from the time. They should be short though!

------------------------------
    Lynda Kennedy PhD
    VP Education
    Intrepid Museum Foundation
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Video in historic spaces

Posted 10-29-2015 12:26 PM

Hi Linda,

Being in the content creation and integration business, I have seen many successes and pitfalls utilizing multi-media in historical places.  That being said, I understand the purpose of your inquiry in this forum; to get first hand feedback from colleagues and not a sales pitch from a "video guy!"  

We recently completed a large installation that has components that may be in line with the direction that you are going.  The Lincoln Heritage Museum, Lincoln, Illinois.  Home - Lincoln Heritage Museum    This exhibit is both a timed experience and an interpreter guided one.  When period costumed interpreters are enlisted, the multi-media responds to their direction.  When no interpreter is scheduled, then the exhibit is a timed experience, interpreted in first-person from Lincoln and important people in his life (voice actors and re-enactments). 

I'm sure that the folks at the Lincoln Heritage Museum would be happy to give feedback on how the visitor experience of their museum has been enhanced utilizing multi-media.  They are quite excited to share.  

And of course, if I can assist you further please don't hesitate to contact me personally.  

Best regards,

Alan Eidson

Eidson Studios

alan@eidsonstudios.com

------------------------------
    Alan Eidson
    Interpretive Filmmaker
    Benton AR