Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Collection Inventory

• 1.  Collection Inventory

Posted 10-21-2015 06:01 PM

Hello everyone!

The museum I currently work at has a collection of over 50,000 objects, and most of the collection was accessioned, cataloged, and stored by volunteers, and though overall, they did a good job, there are still some discrepancies and we have had trouble locating items in the past. Because of this, I have been put in charge of starting an inventory of the collection.

Our collection is divided into groups and subgroups, as I'm sure most collections are, to help with better organizing, so my initial idea was the simple approach; go through the accession records one by one and simply make sure everything is there. Of course, I would need to make an inventory record of some sort so I thought of creating a spreadsheet that would indicate the collection number, accession number, description, and possibly an option to deaccession the object if necessary.

I know no matter what that this will be a long, arduous task. I was wondering if anyone who has done a similar project would have any better ideas on how to start, or just tips in general. Any ideas would be great!

------------------------------
    Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 09:00 AM

Brandon,

We are about mid way through the inventory of our history collections at the state museum of Pennsylvania.    They number of 550,000 artifacts and like your collection many were accesssioned decades ago by well intended volunteers.  We have been at this now for more than 3 years and presently have a total of 14 curators working virtually fulll time on the project.  I will ask Brad Smith out chief curator and the project director of the Collections Advancement Project to contact you.  It may be a week or so before you hear from him because we have two major exhibits opening this weekend.

In the meantime good luck with your collections inventory. Doing an inventory isboth  time consuming and expensive, but nowing what we have, where it is and maintiaining good collection records are among the most fundamental resposibilities of a museum.    

Jim Vaughan

Executive Director

Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission

James Vaughan
    Executive Director
    Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
    Harrisburg PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:44 PM

Thank you for the help. There's no rush for them to contact, I'm still really in the preliminary stages of getting this started so it might be a couple of weeks before I even get started! I would appreciate their insight though. I can only imagine doing an inventory on a collection that big!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 4.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 09:45 AM

How about adding a field for current location? That information can help you keep track of the objects once you've located them -- Best, Mary LaGue

Mary LaGue
    Registrar
    Taubman Museum of Art
    Roanoke VA

• 5.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:45 PM

We do actually do that, I should have clarified that! The only problem is that either the location is vague, or just plain wrong, so being more precise in that regard will be on my to do list!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 6.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 10:10 AM

My first job out of school was working as temp on an inventory project at a museum.  The collection we inventoried had about 20,000 items if I remember right and the cataloging had been inconsistent or non-existent through the years. 

You may come across the same situation we did. Many of our database records had bare bones information about artifacts--just a basic description (sometimes it would literally be "chair"), no photo, and no location information. Many of the objects were not marked with accession numbers, which was done at the request of one of the museum founders, so most of the time we didn't have that reference. As we were going through the inventory, we'd come across items that we couldn't match with records in the database, so we assigned found in collection numbers that were easy to distinguish from regular records in the database.  It'd be something like FC2012.1.1.  It allowed us to register them in the database and move on with the inventory.  At the end of the project, we had fewer unmatched database files so it was easier to match objects.  We had 3,000 FC numbers at the end of the project and matched up over 2,000 of them, or something like that anyway.  When you have a few hundred unmatched files versus 17,000, it becomes a bit easier. 

The ones that were never matched up went through the accession process and if we decided to keep them, they were then assigned a regular accession number.  If we decided not to keep them, they were deaccessioned and disposed of according to the policies in place at the time.  As you're going through, assigning those FC numbers would be a good idea for anything you're not able to match to a file.

Best of luck with your project!

Geoff

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 7.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:48 PM

I'm afraid the same thing may happen when I begin this project. I have already found instances where items were either marked in a different format, or as you said, have the bare bones of information on there! The FC numbers do sound like a good idea, and I am glad they worked for you!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 8.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 10:33 AM

Hi!

While I haven't taken on this task myself I was involved in planning for it at the last museum I worked with. We started inventory by location because we had several different collection storage spaces and we were doing things very manually. After applying and going through the Conservation Assessment Program The Conservation Assessment Program Homepage

the two assessors gave us some really good ideas. They felt that a mobile unit with laptop, camera (if you need to take inventory images), and using a spreadsheet was best for us because we could move cabinet to cabinet without taking every object out. They thought it would work best if two people worked on it at a time (data entry and object handler/person who reads off numbers). The most important part of their advice was to make a notes column so if there are issues with an object (needs a tag, is mis-numbered, broken, etc). This way you have all that information but you're not pulled away from your original project of inventory to take care of these issues. I found when I tried to do inventory prior to that our staff would often get side-tracked taking care of these other issues and the project would drag on. 

I can't wait to hear what other tips you receive!

Sara Arnas
    Grants Manager
    Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    Chicago IL

• 9.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:52 PM

Being mobile is a great idea! Unfortunately we only have one tablet and it doesn't have the Microsoft Office suite on there. But I can definitely get a clipboard and print out the spreadsheets and do it that way. And thank you for mentioning the notes column, it would probably be something I would have overlooked!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 10.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 11:39 AM
    If this was my project, I'd start by going through the storage area, section-by-section/drawer-by-drawer/shelf-by-shelf and write on the spreadsheet the precise inventory findings, leaving blanks where necessary when you don't know titles or numbers, etc.  You can cross-reference to your existing master list once the full hands-on inventory process is completed.

If the shelves/drawers/whatever are not yet numbered and legibly labeled, while doing inventory is the time to do so, and make sure you identify that shelf/drawer/room location on your written piece inventory.

Later, go line-by-line with your inventory and cross-reference that to master list, and fine-tune groupings there, the items of which you can later physically re-locate later if necessary.

I have done such a project with a collection larger than what you cite, located in multiple buildings and multiple locations within those buildings.  I didn't do the project alone, and hope the same for you.  It is satisfying work, and soooo satisfying when it is completed and the records are "clean".

• 11.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:56 PM

That is my initial plan! Unfortunately, I may be on my own during a lot of it, so I would start with the smaller collections, but that is my goal. I am also thankful that I will have a chance to reorganize once I am over there because the building desperately needs it, and I can't wait to feel that satisfying feeling!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 12.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 12:58 PM
    I would sugget putting your inventory into a data base software (e.g. Microsoft Access) rather than a spreadsheet. There are lots of features that you will find useful (can put things into sub-catagories, sort by types etc.), and you can always download the into to a spreadsheet if you need to.

Rich

--

Richard A. Paselk, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus, Chemistry Dept.
    Humboldt State University
    http://users.humboldt.edu/rpaselk/
    1 Harpst Street
    Arcata, CA  95521
    (707) 826-5719
    rap1@humboldt.edu

Curator and Webmaster,
    Robert A. Paselk Scientific Instrument Museum
    Humboldt State University
    http://humboldt.edu/scimus/

Curator and Exhibits Webmaster
    HSU Natural History Museum
    http://www.humboldt.edu/natmus/

• 13.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:57 PM

Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of using Access. Right now we are using PastPerfect 4, which can be a bit difficult but we're making it work!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 14.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-24-2015 07:21 PM

Hi, I feel your pain.  I'm a trained collections manager and have worked on survey and inventory projects from National Parks collections to those for tiny historical societies, so have some practical thoughts about what you're working on.  Generally for a collection that size, I'd recommend doing a survey before inventory, but if you are already started here are some thoughts about doing an inventory.

First thing, get familiar with your software.  If you have PastPerfect 4, there is a function for doing inventory.  Get the manual out/ off the internet and read how to use this feature.  Make sure the most recent updates to the software have been put on your computer (they're free if you already have the software). 

Next, are your collections on or off-site?  Is there WiFi capability wherever they are?  If so, try using a remote connection program so you can access the computer PP4 is on from your tablet when you are in your collections area.  I have used a free single user version of Team Viewer very successfully for this, but there are also other free and inexpensive versions that are easy for non-tech people to get going.

If no WiFi, print off the inventory list from PP4 and use it as a checklist as you go through each "unit" in your collections area.  Make a second piece of paper your spreadsheet for adding things that aren't already listed in PP4.  If you find something listed, make a note if the location needs to be updated.  If you find something that isn't, write a brief description (accession or catalog # if written on it; five word verbal if not), and write the location.  Use the PP4 location format so it's easy to add the info into the database when you are at the computer (Building-Room-Unit-Shelf-Drawer-Container).  On a daily or weekly basis, update the location information for physical unit you've just completed into PP4 so you don't risk losing your work.

You'll probably find that somethings are difficult to write locations for beyond Building-Room.  If it's a pile of stuff, put it in a box and give the box a unique number starting at a very high number if you don't know how many boxes already have numbers ("Box 500").  It is way easier to change or eliminate box numbers later on than accession or catalog numbers.  It does not matter at this point what order the boxes are in on the shelves; trying to put them in order as you go will only distract from the task at hand.  Be very disciplined about not going down any tangents beyond putting items in a box and giving the box a #.  If something isn't catalogged, don't do it now.  Note the location under the accession record's "notes" section.  If something isn't even accession, give it the same accession number.   I'd recommend staying away from accession numbers that start with letters or have a weird format because it will screw up searches in your database. Just start every first accession for a new year as the FIC accession for weird stuff you run across that year.  So the FIC for 2015 would be 2015.1 and the FIC file for 2016 would be 2016.1.  Don't add placeholder numbers (i.e. 2015.001 or 2016.001) because it is NOT a decimal number in the sense that is a fraction of a larger number.  This would cause problems if you had a giant accession of something like photos and negatives from one source, or scientific material in a lot (such as insect or fish eggs) where an accession is very large.  

Too big of an answer for a forum, shoot me a message if you need/ want more.

Lissa Kramer
    Museum Manager, Log House Museum
    Southwest Seattle Historical Society
    Seattle WA

• 15.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-22-2015 01:44 PM

While there are a lot of great museum professionals who read this list, you will get the most experienced collections management advice from the members of the Registrars Committee listserv.   To join (and you don't need to be an RC member) just go to: http://www.rcaam.org/Listserv.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

• 16.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-23-2015 09:55 AM

I agree you should ask the registrars list serve as they will be able to possibly give you a form to work from.  Also I would have spaces to write down basic measurements, materials and any distinguishing marks.  This will help when you are matching to a mast list as you might have 7 unnumbered wooden chairs but only one that is 47" tall or have blue flowers painted on it. Or the one I find hardest a large collection of unmarked natural history items such as a drawer of 50 bird skulls.  The length of the beak might be that bit of info you need!  

I work at a house museum that all of the items were in place when it changed from a home to a museums so the collection was organized by room rather than type of item or material.  Though this is frustrating at times I can now tell from the number what room the item was in originally in, in case it has moved.  Having a way of listing current and original locations can also be helpful.

Good Luck!  

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA

• 17.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-23-2015 12:35 PM
    Edited by Brandon Young 10-23-2015 12:36 PM

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out!
    A notes section is something that a lot of people have suggested and honestly something I would have overlooked. But it will definitely come in handy! We have a lot of furniture and clothing, a lot of which is very similar so being able differentiate between them will be crucial.

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 18.  RE: Collection Inventory

Posted 10-23-2015 01:17 PM

If you do not currently have a collections management system I highly recommend building a database instead of a spreadsheet.

Both spreadsheets and databases are used to store and manage sets of data. The basic content in a spreadsheet or a database is a set of data values. Where spreadsheets and databases vary is in how they store and manipulate the data. A spreadsheet stores data values in cells, with multiple cells represented in a system of rows and columns. Cells can refer to other cells, and the spreadsheet can include cells that carry out processing on other cell values. A database typically stores data values in tables. Each table has a name and one or more columns and rows. A row in a table is called a record. A single record includes a value for each column in a table. Databases can enforce relationships between records in different tables.

Access to a spreadsheet is sometimes limited to one person at a time. With database management systems, however, several people can access the same data set. Such systems manage editing of data so that two people cannot alter the same data values at the same time. This preserves data integrity, which is harder to manage when using spreadsheets.

Take a look at FilemakerPro. It is very user friendly.

Also, I would highly encourage you to investigate some open source collections management options like Collection Space / Resource Space.

HQ

Heidi Quicksilver
    Digital Asset Management Specialist
    Cleveland OH