Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-19-2015 12:55 PM

Has anyone worked with a good, reasonably priced company to have a framed facsimile made of a work of art from a digital image?  Preferably the company would be in the DC area.

I am trying to get an idea of cost for a framed facsimile that would be around 24 x 20 inches.  

Many thanks.

------------------------------
    Elsa Mezvinsky Smithgall
    Curator
    The Phillips Collection
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-20-2015 08:09 AM

Dear Elsa:

We have had great experience with Cincinnati Terminal Station on historical documents.  I'm not positive if they recreate facsimiles of artwork, but it's a good start.

For your records, in Spain - an extraordinary artist and institution that has made the highest quality, quasi art-scientific projects on large scale to preserve national treasures is Factum-ARTE.  They have done art restorations & facsimiles, so I'm sure they know the leaders in the US as well.  

And the design department at National Gallery of Art would certainly be a good resource.

Good luck!

Amy

Amy Seitz
    President & CEO
    Exhibits Development Group
    Saint Paul MN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-20-2015 06:09 PM

Thanks for recommending us, Amy! It means a lot to get a kudos from EDG!

Elsa, we'd be glad to hear more about your project. Please contact me using the info below. 

Best, 

Sarah Lima

Exhibits Business Development Manager

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

513-287-7035

slima@cincymuseum.org

Sarah Lima
    Exhibits Business Development Managerent
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-20-2015 05:15 PM

A friend of mine is in the Wide Format business in that region. I have worked with them for a few years.  The company is called MEI. Here is the office number (301) 340-0000  ask for Judy.

Stephen Shooster
    CEO
    Margate FL

• 5.  RE: Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-21-2015 04:05 PM

Hi Elsa- there are several good sources in the DC area for printing, framing and digitizing works of art.  David Adamson Editions on 14th Street NW is very close to the Phillips and does scanning and prints.  Also, Archival Art Inc south of Baltimore  near BWI does excellent scanning and printing.  I also recommend Archival Art Services in Alexandria for framing.  All do museum quality work.           

Stephen Estrada
    Museum Consultant
    U.S. Diplomacy Center Department of State
    Silver Spring MD

• 6.  RE: Facsimile of work of art

Posted 10-22-2015 10:08 AM

Elsa.
    We use Old Town Editions in Alexandria, VA.  Excellent quality work and reasonable prices.  Usually use them for reproducing 18th and early 19th century prints, but have had them image capture an early American sampler for use and textile conservators were amazed that standing a foot away it was not immediately apparent that they were not looking at the original.  If you want to see their work, stop by… we are only a few block west of you.

Scott Scholz
    Deputy Director & Curator
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    2715 Q Street, NW
    Washington DC