developed a course about twenty years ago, and it was well received, but
    eventually gave it up as other needs pressed, and gave away my library on
    the subject. Can anyone recommend a good entry-level textbook or two to
    give my director a better idea of what a modern museology course would
    entail? Can anyone share a syllabus?
    Thanks for any help and additional ideas from your experience, for
    example, if you started from scratch at a university and succeeded in
    developing a successful program.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museology course

Posted 10-11-2015 11:20 AM
    Dr. Kiersten Latham and I wrote an introductory textbook called "Foundations of Museum Studies: Evolving Systems of Knowledge," based on an introductory course in museum studies that we teach. Our book was written to be the textbook that we both wish we had had when we were beginning museum studies graduate students. The book is designed to be used with other readings (we use it along with "Museums in Motion," 2008, by Alexander and Alexander and an ever-changing variety of journal articles). You can find out more about the book here:
    http://www.abc-clio.com/ABC-CLIOCorporate/product.aspx?pc=A3975P

It is available from the publisher, from Amazon.com, and other book sellers, both as a print book an an ebook.

--John

John E. Simmons
    Museologica
    128 E. Burnside Street
    Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
    simmons.johne@gmail.com
    303-681-5708
    www.museologica.com
    and
    Adjunct Curator of Collections
    Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
    Penn State University
    University Park, Pennsylvania
    and
    Instructor, Museum Studies
    School of Library and Information Science
    Kent State University
    and
    Lecturer in Art
    Juniata College
    Huntingdon, Pennsylvania

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museology course

Posted 10-11-2015 01:57 PM

Hi Judith -

I did a Masters program in Museum studies a few years ago and while I don't think I have any course syllabi still, one of the best books I used - which I still have and reference - is called Reinventing the Museum edited by Gail Anderson. It's a collection of essays and scholarly writings that explore most, if not all, facets of museums, where they've come from, current challenges, and where they could be headed. Lots of different perspectives as well.

A used copy will run you $20 from Amazon: 

http://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Museum-Historical-Contemporary-Perspectives/dp/0759101701/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444585987&sr=8-2&keywords=reinventing+the+museum

I would also recommend perusing Elaine Heumann Gurian's website. She's a well known thinker, writer and scholar on museums and she has recently made a good chunk of her work available for free on her website. Here's a link to the Museums/Museology section:

Museum Studies/Museology | Elaine Heumann Gurian

Best,

Jackie

------------------------------
    Jacquelyne Peterson
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Museology course

Posted 10-12-2015 11:02 AM

Hi Judith,

I am currently teaching an Introduction to Museum Studies at UT-El Paso. I am using John and Kiersten's new book, Foundation of Museum Studies. It is a quick read and comes from a Library Science approach that examines museums as systems. It has been eye opening for me and accessible to my students. I also supplement with articles, such as excerpts from Reinventing the Museum and others. Email me directly if you are interested in my syllabus. djcareywhalen@utep.edu

All the best,

Daniel

Daniel Carey-Whalen
    University of Texas at El Paso
    El Paso TX

• 5.  RE: Museology course

Posted 10-14-2015 10:29 AM

Judith:

Will this be graduate or undergraduate level?

Dan

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

• 6.  RE: Museology course

Posted 10-14-2015 11:56 AM

Judith:  I teach Museum Studies:  History and Philosophy, an interdiciplinary graduate level course, and use Museums in Motion (2nd ed) and John and Kristen's books, supplemented with articles (several by Stephen Weil), class activities, and field trips. Please let me know if you would like a copy of the syllabus.

Lin Nelson-Mayson
    Director
    Goldstein Museum of Design - University of Minnesota
    Saint Paul MN