Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 09-25-2015 04:15 PM

Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

We have a fairly large number of display furniture pieces that can be difficult to keep track of as we have a few different storage locations.

In the past, we’ve created an Excel file that lists specifications (top deck size, height, label slant type, location, etc.) and assigns a unique code to each piece. For instance, a pedestal tagged P4 would also fit vitrine V4 (in our low ceiling storage area, matching sets can get separated or only a ped may be used separately for a given exhibition). In a pinch, a quick filtering via excel can find other pieces that may be able to fit together.

Our main problem with this system is that we tend to lose track of it over time . . . especially as we sometimes, in the rush to set up for the next show, neglect to put painters tape tags showing the id number for each piece.

Vitrines can be hard to tag permanently (we’ve discussed scribing the ID on a bottom edge of the plexi where it shouldn’t be to visible, or using “invisible” UV only markers to write the id number and even joked about using the pet tracker micro chips) but beyond using some type of removable/tape label/tag, we haven’t had any great solutions.

Similarly, pedestals can be hard to mark discreetly, but permanently. The best we’ve managed, albeit a totally last century solution, is to permanently mark the inside of our pedestal with the id number and then copy that to a temporary, but visible sticker when the piece goes into storage (our storage is tight so liberating a particular piece can be a bit of a Tetris game). Our peds have no hatch to the inside, so we have to tip them over to find the number.

I’d appreciate any suggestions for keeping track of our stock ; when we stay on top of it, it makes inventory, staging, installation and graphic design flow much smoother.

Regards,

Tim

------------------------------
    Timothy Wintemberg
    Director of Exhibition Design
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 09-29-2015 11:35 AM

Good afternoon,

This is an interesting problem.  Have you considered a bar code sticker on the plexi and the ped?  I know you can get the stickers in fairly small sizes and then each pedestal and plex could have a permanent number attached.  Even if it ended up on the back edge of both pieces, it should not stand out too much.

I saw an article somewhere that there are now apps for smartphones and tablets that can scan and read a bar code.  This seems like a potential solution for your problem.  I know exactly what you mean by a Tetris game, I've had that issue in the past.  The vitrine or pedestal you need is at the very back of the storage space.

Let me know how it works out.  Good luck.

Linda

Linda Nelson
    Registrar
    Maryland Science Center
    Baltimore MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 10-01-2015 06:31 PM

Thanks Linda,

Perhaps a bar code app could be particularly useful if it could link to-- or be--the database that keeps track of the various parameters.

Too bad our vitrines don't recess into their peds while on display to hide their open edges (and any labels that could then be right at the bottom). 

Regards,
    Tim

Timothy Wintemberg
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 4.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 10-02-2015 10:06 AM

Tim,

We've struggled with the same issue for many years, and as our inventory of audio visual equipment and exhibition furniture, both custom and standard, has grown, we've had to get more serious about tracking and labeling. Our tracking system started as an excel document with different tabs for different types of materials that we track. When this proved to be too unruly, we started exploring different tracking techniques.

We've explored FileMaker and Access - both are neither intuitive nor user friendly and there is a huge learning curve in figuring out how to build and maintain a database. We  worked with an Undergraduate Engineering class here at Yale to explore every step of the process - warehousing, transportation, tracking, and labeling. The students used an MIT app builder to design a very theoretical app that would scan RFID tags. RFID (Radio frequency identification) tags were preferable to barcodes because we would be able to scan them through a 1/2" of mdf medex. In the end, the students learned a bit about technology and we learned how to think pragmatically about how we may benefit from technology after many hard conversations with our museum IT director.

Taking all this into account, I started looking for a cloud based asset tracking subscription that wouldn't required upkeep by our IT department and could be used with the technology that we currently have. After a few 30 day trials, I settled on Asset Panda. I like it because it is customizable and geared toward tracking assets.  Each asset has a digital card with custom fields I've made: name, location, mauf. size, dimension width, dimension height, dimension base, build by, category (AV, Case, Pedestal, Frame, Platform, Crate, Exhibition Furniture Component), fabric color, hold for exhibition, serial #, status, area, color, notes, case type, case contents, model, reserved. You can also upload and link a photo to the record. This is huge for me. We've taken photos of all the casework in the gallery and linked them to the case record card. This is relatively easy because Asset Panda has an app for iphones and ipads.

This said, I understand that your question is about physically tagging or marking display furniture. I think if you are not able to permanently label material, you second best option is to have a tighter tracking system. Know what you have and have the ability to easily change locations and track material. One of the functions of this tracking system that has really saved me a few times has been the report function. If you mark an asset as reserved for a particular exhibition in it's record, later running a report can be a reminder for changing locations. The report function can also be used in several different ways. You can save report types that run different filters. For example, lets say you want to know how many pedestals you have in the warehouse that are white and 50"H. This is super easy to do with the report function.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Anna

Anna Russell
    Museum Assistant for Exhibitions and Collections
    Yale University Art Gallery
    New Haven CT

• 5.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 10-06-2015 01:05 PM

Thank you Anna.

I'll check out Asset Panda.  Would it be possible for you to send me a quick screen shot of your typical info view?

It sounds like you didn't implement the RFID tags.  If so, how do you mark your cataloged items?

Thanks again,

Tim

Timothy Wintemberg
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 6.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 10-13-2015 03:05 PM

Hi Tim,

I've attached a record view of one of our cases. We didn't implement RFID, but Asset Panda recently added to their capabilities the ability to generate and scan barcodes via your iPhone/iPad. I haven't begun to use this yet, but its my next big project with the program. Right now we just label excessively. We are lucky that our cases and pedestals have doors to access the interior, so we keep extra identifying signs inside and also place a sticker on the inside of the door with the identifying case number. The outside of the casework in storage is always labeled with an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper with the case number, enclosed in a sheet protector.

At this point I am officially tracking 1000 assets, I haven't yet entered platforms, vitrines or custom casework, etc.. Once I had everything fully inventoried it would be closer to 2000 pieces.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,

Anna

Anna Russell
    Museum Assistant for Exhibitions and Collections
    Yale University Art Gallery
    New Haven CT

• 7.  RE: Pedestal and Plexi Vitrine Cataloging Ideas?

Posted 10-14-2015 01:07 PM

Thanks again Anna!

Timothy Wintemberg
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ