Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Family Programs

Posted 08-31-2015 09:35 AM

Hello! We are looking to expand family program offerings at Folger Shakespeare Library...a place not always associated with kids and families.

I would appreciate recommendations about any museums or libraries that offer interesting family programs. Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

Carol Ann

------------------------------
    Carol Ann Lloyd-Stanger
    Manager, Visitor Education Programs
    Folger Shakespeare Library
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 09-01-2015 07:31 AM

Hello.  My sister Erin Day is now the artistic director for Greenstage, a Seattle-based Shakespeare company with several different children's programmes.  When she was living in Northern Virginia, I know she spent time/was involved in different programmes at the Folger.  Since she knows your facility and is Shakespeare oriented, she may have some ideas. Her email is erin@greenstage.org

Good luck,

Sue

Susan Day
    Education and Communications Consultant
    Dar Al-Athar Al-Islamiyyah Museum
    Safat

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 09-01-2015 08:15 AM

Oh, I'm wishing you the best in developing family programs at the Folger.  I remember it quite fondly, having spent many seasons going to the theater.  It was a thrilling place for me (as a young adult).  Have you considered doing history programs that would give some context to Shakespear's writing?  Demonstrations of domestic crafts of the time, etc? 

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 4.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 09-01-2015 10:16 AM

I love the Denver Art Museum Family Backpacks.  Check their website, they've done a lot of studies on them and have great data and info on what works for families in museums.  We are using their info and model to create family packs for Prospect Park's Pop-Up Audubon Tents in Brooklyn. 

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 5.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 09-02-2015 09:39 AM

IMTAL - HOME

Imtal-us remove preview
    IMTAL - HOME
    Once More With Feeling, will be held in St. Louis, September 25-27.
    View this on Imtal-us >

Are you familiar with the International Museum Theatre Alliance (IMTAL)? We support and foster the use of theatre and theatrical technique in cultural institutions as an educational tool. You might find some inspiration or ideas there. We'll actually be holding a small conference at the end of the month in St. Louis if you're interested. Here's our website with more info: IMTAL - HOME

Imtal-us remove preview
    IMTAL - HOME
    Once More With Feeling, will be held in St. Louis, September 25-27.
    View this on Imtal-us >

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 09-02-2015 11:17 AM

We have just opened a new, permanent, ~6000 square foot family gallery and have a broad range of programming aimed at families and young children. I'd be happy to talk more about those - and yes, the IMTAL conference (hosted here) would be a great opportunity to check all of those things out:)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Pickard
    Director, Interpretive Programs
    Missouri Historical Society and Museum
    Saint Louis MO

• 7.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 04-07-2016 03:45 PM

I work at the Snite Museum of Art at the University of Notre Dame. Notre Dame has a community outreach center called Robinson Community Learning Center. They have had a successful Shakespeare program there for several years, both after school and summer camp - here is the link to their webpage with contact info.

http://rclc.nd.edu/youth-programs/shakespeare/robinson-shakespeare-company/

MARY RATTENBURY
    Program Coordinator
    Notre Dame IN

• 8.  RE: Family Programs

Posted 04-08-2016 09:23 AM

Hi there - check out the USS Constitution Museum's "Engage Families" project: Engage Families - Encouraging family learning in museums and libraries. Plenty of great ideas!

Engagefamilies remove preview
    Engage Families - Encouraging family learning in museums and libraries
    Encouraging family learning in museums and libraries
    View this on Engagefamilies >
    Laurie Lamarre
    Curator of Exhibitions
    Fairfield Museum
    Wolcott CT