Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digital Signage Guidance

Posted 08-25-2015 03:25 PM

Hello Everyone! 

Ford's Theatre is looking to overhaul our signage and go digital. We are thinking of potentially changing our internal and external posters, A-Frame for visitors, Box Office signage, lobby monitors, upgrade theatre video feed and so on. 

If you have gone through a digital process, what did you learn that you can share with me? Also if there are any systems you are using that you have been successful with that would be great to be able to explore. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

------------------------------

Allison Alonzy
    Associate Director of Visitor Services
    Ford's Theatre 
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Digital Signage Guidance

Posted 08-25-2015 04:10 PM

Hi Allison - If you use the search feature, you will find a thread from last year about digital signage.  There may be more to learn, but it's a place to start.

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Digital Signage Guidance

Posted 08-26-2015 04:18 PM

Hi Allison,

I worked at the Natural History Museum, London for many years and understand the challenges of good signage to move visitors throughout the galleries and provide up-to-the-minute information,,to mention just a couple of good reasons to get it right.

I am spending some of my time now introducing people to Edwards Technologies (ETI) out of L.A. (El Segundo) who have developed a really great software platform which delivers content on a lot of different fronts - simply and smoothly.  They have just announced a partnership with Panasonic who will be embedding this software (Videro) into all of their new screens.  Up until now, most of their work has been with visitor attractions and the retail and hotel industries - who as you know, are really moving forward with their use of digital signage.

The Videro system could present a great opportunity for museums to combine digital storage and asset management with the ability to change and deliver content in a lot of different ways. 

You can take a look at their website to learn more about ETI and feel free to get in touch with me if you would like to receive more relevant information.  Here is the link:   http://www.edwardstechnologies.com

We will also be attending the ASTC Conference in Montreal.

Best of luck with your research,

Audrey

Audrey O'Connell
    President, Audrey O'Connell + Associates

• 4.  RE: Digital Signage Guidance

Posted 08-27-2015 11:23 AM

Hello!

MediaInfo

Mediaarea remove preview
    MediaInfo
    MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files
    View this on Mediaarea >

Video File Format!  I would suggest you go and/or make a standard.  Please note that not all *.mp4's are not the same!  And it could be a complex, convoluted mess to stay the least.  There are a couple of video file information programs that I use one is MediaInfo MediaInfo  because something as 'simple' as "Format profile : Main@Main" to those in the know can cause you problems; this is more important when obtaining new files.

Mediaarea remove preview
    MediaInfo
    MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files
    View this on Mediaarea >

Randolph Tirazona
    Exhibit Electronics Technician since Dec 1st, 2005
    California Science Center
    Los Angeles CA