Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

• 1.  LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-24-2015 01:09 PM

Does your museum have LGBTQ communities on your radar? Have you mounted LGBTQ exhibitions or offered LGBTQ programming (or, do you plan to?)? If so, please let me know. We'd love to represent a variety of case studies and voices in the session. Many thanks--

------------------------------
    Angie Dodson
    Director of Learning & Engagement
    Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 09:41 AM

We hosted an LGBT Family Day that went really well, and I'm pretty sure we'll be hosting another one soon. We had a booth set up at Denver Pride. We've also had a couple of great staff trainings on inclusiveness, language, not making assumptions, and what it means to be an ally, among other topics. Let me know if you'd like me to connect you with one of the main people that's helped organize all of this. I'm at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, by the way. 

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 11:48 AM

Amber!

I'd love to connect with your colleagues and hear more...and to see if they are interested in this panel. Thanks much for forwarding my e-mail to them.

All best,

Angie

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 12:22 PM

I just sent you a personal message to contact Eric Godoy and let him know to look for an email from you.  Also, at the Boston Children's Museum they are getting ready to open an exhibit called Mimi's Family.  It's a photography show of a transgender grandmother’s family.  It would be another great case study! 

Amber Parham
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-27-2015 10:24 AM

P.S. I was able to find your contact info on your museum website and passed it along to folks at my museum as well as to my contact at Boston Children's. 

Amber Parham
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-27-2015 10:44 AM

thanks lots and lots!

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 09:52 AM

Hello,

In 2013, The Museum at FIT organized A Queer History of Fashion: From the Closet to the Catwalk. The exhibition, its publication and its digital presence all won awards.

A Queer History of Fashion: From the Closet to the Catwalk

Fitnyc remove preview
    A Queer History of Fashion: From the Closet to the Catwalk
    Special Exhibitions Gallery September 13, 2013 - January 4, 2014 A Queer History of Fashion: From the Closet to the Catwalk featured approximately 100 ensembles, from 18th-century menswear styles associated with an emerging gay subculture to 21st-century high fashion.
    View this on Fitnyc >

Feel free to reach out to me for any additional information.

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 11:54 AM

Tamsen!

Yes, I am very familiar with the symposium you presented in conjunction with this exhibition! Cannot believe I didn't think to reach-out to you directly--doh. Yes, let's talk about any interest you/your colleagues might have in being a part of the discussion at AAM 2016. Phone appt. sometime this week?

BTW: We have a fashion-centered exhibition on now and are having J. Katz here to talk about "Queer Self-Fashioning" this fall. That's how much we liked what you'd done. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, yes!

All best,

Angie

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 01:13 PM

As a children's museum that seeks to be inclusive and welcoming to all, we participate in Portland's Gay Pride festival and are looking for additional ways to support LGBTQ children and families. One specific initiative we've taken is to redefine our traditional "family" membership to be totally customized, based on number of people and not who those people are or their relationships.

I'd be happy to help represent the children's museum field in this important programming area, since LGBTQ children and families are an important audience and perspective for museums to embrace.

Ruth Shelly
    Executive Director
    Portland Children's Museum
    Portland OR

• 10.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 01:23 PM

Hi, Ruth.

I understand the Children's Museum of Manhattan has programmed for this audience...am waiting to hear from Megan Swanby. Let's see if/how they chime in and go from there.

I agree that children's museums are a big part of this conversation. After a decade+ of LGBT programming, we find ourselves beginning to develop LGBTQ adult programs that are hetero-friendly...but feel like we still need to carve out a  special space for the LGBTQ family community. To this end, we've merged our programming with that of the local chapter of Rainbow Families...it's been a big win-win. We really love our work with them.

More soon,

]Angie

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 11.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 02:16 PM

I work at the Missouri History Museum and we are doing a LGBTQ Collecting Initiative for objects, letters, photo and stories.  With having this initiative we have been at St. Louis's Pridefest for the last two years.

Nicole Smith
    Lead Public Service Rep.
    St. Louis

• 12.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 02:48 PM

Hi, Nicole.

I've started a list of institutions that play into the LGBTQ equation via collecting initiatives. Have you used your collections are a foundation for programming of any sort yet? As this panel takes shape, it's looking like it will be program-centered. I'll keep you in the loop as things continue to come clear. Many thanks.

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-25-2015 06:31 PM
    The LGBTQ communities have been, in some ways, our core audience.  Programming and, most importantly, collecting serves all of our communities. That said, there are exhibitions and programs that are recognized to connect to interest groups within the LGBTQ communities.

The LGBTQ Alliance is developing "Welcoming standards" for museums that will be presented at the upcoming AAM.   They are challenging but will be very informative for museum and allied institutions.

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Judy R. and Alfred A. Rosenberg Curator of Exhibitions
    Shelby Cullom Davis Museum, The New York Public Library for the Performing
    Arts
    40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023
    212-870-1830; barbaracohenstratyner@nypl.org

• 14.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 10:55 AM

Thanks so much for your response, Barbara.

I hear you about programming for all/programs that are LGBTQ-focused but hetero-friendly. My HR director and I were just talking about how that's one of the hallmarks of many of our LGBTQ doings and how much we like it that way! Would you be interested in talking about your programming and collecting as part of this panel?  Seems you may be uniquely positioned to talk about the nuances of this work, the think line between what is LGBTQ ans what just is. I'd love to hear more about how you serve interest groups within the larger community.

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 15.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 11:00 AM

Hi, Barbara.

I hear you about "in some ways." Some of what we do here has that quality about it as well. I'd love to hear more about what you're doing with segments within the communities. Sounds like you might be a great addition to the panel...

Thanks so much for your response,

Angie

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 16.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 11:54 AM

I'm really proud of The Warhol's LGBTQIA+ programing.  Although it's been in place in some form or another for a long time, right now there is a great combination of leadership and staff.  These programs have really blossomed.  We partner with various youth alliances, community centers and interest groups throughout the city for onetime outreaches, long term partnerships, and free tours/workshops.  We occasionally offer these partners transportation to these or other programs in the form of bus rentals or public transportation passes.  We have hosted special events around visiting exhibitions.  We offer a free Dandy Andy Tour monthly, Boyfriend Gallery Talks, participate in Coming-out day and Pride week as well as offering more inclusive programing around traditional holidays such as the Christmas season (Andy was a devout Byzantine Catholic) and Valentine's Day. We require all education staff to have an understanding of contemporary language, of course and offer them a dual time line of Andy's Life and the development of the LGBTQIA+ rights movement during the 20th Century.  We have also hosted the alternative prom for the last 4 years.  Because of all this a local youth groups now use our lobby as a downtown meet-up spot even because everyone know where we are and it is safe. 

I'm sure I've missed stuff.  This is a really exciting time for these programs.  In my eyes, we seem to be developing from a "Community" to a "Culture".

Paul O'Brien
    Studio Programs Coordinator

The Andy Warhol Museum

• 17.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 12:09 PM

Please say you'll tell your stories on our panel...! Would love to have your POV in the mix.

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 18.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-27-2015 11:42 AM

Hi Angela

I am happy to participate in any way I can. (if that message was for me)

Sandra

Sandra Bonnici-Hoecherl
    Associate Director of Education and Access Diversity and Inclusion
    Madison Children's Museum
    Madison WI

• 19.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-26-2015 02:48 PM

Hi Angela

I would like to connect you with some of my colleagues from Edventure and Boston Children's Museum. We presented at ACM on this topic and all of us had a unique perspective to engaging LGBTQ audiences. From collaborations,exhibits and overall strategic planning and investment in diversity and inclusion.

We put together many handouts and resources for our session and I know that my colleagues would have even more to say about the topic and would be happy to share.

I can tell you that yes, very much so, these audiences are on our radar and we define Access, Diversity and Inclusion as follows:

Access means I know where the door is and I can get to it and through it.

Diversity means that I see myself and my values reflected in the organization.

Inclusion means that I have voice in the organization in helping it to achieve it's mission. (Not about me without me)

If you would like to contact me offline I can further connect you with this conversation. I would also say that you may wish to check out the blog The Incluseum for more information, articles and resources.

Hope this is a good starting point,

Sincerely,

Sandra

Sandra Bonnici-Hoecherl
    Associate Director of Education and Access Diversity and Inclusion
    Madison Children's Museum
    Madison WI

• 20.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-27-2015 02:48 PM

Hi, Sandra.

All good stuff, this. Thanks so much for it. I'm spending the next hour or so getting caught-up on this conversation and seeing where it looks like our panel stands. I very much want to have the world of children's museums represented. The work you are doing is impressive...and vital. I want to use this platform to encourage others to do the same for ALL those in their communities.

More soon,

Angie

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC

• 21.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-28-2015 10:19 AM

Hi Angela,

Our GOHI (Gay Ohio History Initiative) may be of use to you.  The initiative is guided by a collections plan that illustrates a variety of contributions made by GLBTQ Ohioans, including material provided by such diverse organizations as the Columbus Gay Men's Chorus; the Ohio State University's Gay and Lesbian Alliance; Outlook Media; and Stonewall Union (Columbus).  The Ohio History Connection accessioned the collection, consisting of primarily archival material, and made it accessible to the public. This collection plan has opened up many partnerships and programming opportunities.  We are partnering with key organizations in the GLBTQ community to host film festivals, collect oral histories, and present this history to all Ohioans.  We are looking forward to doing much more.

Anthony Gibbs
    Community Engagement Coordinator
    Ohio History Center - Ohio History Connection
    Columbus OH

• 22.  RE: LGBTQ-centered Audience Development, Exhibitions & Programs

Posted 08-28-2015 03:12 PM

Hi, Anthony. You are the second person to bring the fine work of GOHI to my attention! Seems there's a lot of great work coming out of our history museums and societies. In fact, there's more that enough for an entire panel on this sector alone. In the end, I've determined that the best course for my panel is to focus on museums without LGBTQ content, ones that draw LGBTQ communities into the lives of our institutions. Having said that, my inquiry has unearthed enough content for 3-4 panels...and I want to keep that conversation alive. To this end, I intend to let all who have responded know what we are doing and encourage them to deepen the conversations among the various sectors. If you'd like to be a part of this ongoing convo, please just send me your e-mail. Many thanks, A.

Angela Dodson
    COO
    Washington DC