Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Museum Education

• 1.  Museum Education

Posted 07-29-2015 08:31 AM

We are thinking of developing an undergraduate BA or BS degree in museum education, the goal of which would be to prepare graduates to secure entry level positions in the education departments of museums. There are quite a few graduate programs in museum studies and museum education, but only a few undergrad programs.  Perhaps there is a good reason for that or perhaps it is a good opportunity.  As we are thinking about it now, the program would be interdisciplinary in that students in the arts, history, social sciences, and sciences could double major or perhaps minor in museum education.  As we think about what the curriculum might look like, my question here, for now, is what knowledge or skills should graduates with a degree in museum education have to make them attractive to museum education departments?  Any other thoughts on this program would also be appreciated.  Bill

------------------------------
    William Mowder PhD
    Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts
    Kutztown University
    Kutztown PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 07:02 AM

Hi,

Museum study is only a decade long and finally being taken seriously as a discipline. I know that Kensington university in Great Britian offers an undergraduate in museum studies and Central Saint martins University of the Arts now also offers under grads in curation and criticism. As for your question, asides from studying an all encompassing understanding of education theories, I would suggest that museums would be interested in candidates who are well versed in aiding the department internally by being able to carry out and conduct formative and summative evaluations, audience research and focus groups to further enhance and test the museums existing and developing educational programmes.

Al Anoud Al Attiya
    Head of Internal Projects
    Mathaf - Arab Museum of Modern Art
    Doha
    UCL Masters Museum and Gallery Practice

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 09:40 AM

Hi William:

I would say one thing that would make graduates attractive for employers is an interdisciplinary approach not just in academic curriculum, but when it comes to the museum field itself.  Build in some classes that deal with subjects outside of education such as museum ethics and philosophy, collections management, exhibits, and grant writing.  I think skills like that would be useful to new professionals entering the field.  You could emphasize how education relates to those other areas.  For instance, our curator of education is a part of the collections committee at our museum, which is the group that decides what we do or do not accept into the collection.  The education division is also heavily involved with even the opening conversations on exhibit development, since they're the ones who will be interacting with visitors and working on educational programming.  Their input and their perspective is invaluable.  Having an understanding of those subjects and why they're important is a great thing for new graduates to have.

Best of luck with the new curriculum!

Geoff
    Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 10:00 AM

Bill:

We've considered turning our minor in museum studies into a major as well, perhaps with "tracks" for students with different areas of interest, including museum education and informal learning.

But, alas, given the fact that there are too damn many graduate programs turning out aspiring museum professionals, there's no real point in either of us going to the effort of developing such a program.

It doesn't require a master's degree engineer to design a bridge that won't fall down -- surely a bachelor's educated museum professional can manage a collection or develop and deliver a school program. And given the rather thin and exceptionally general list of courses many grad programs (especially the certificates) believe is adequate professional preparation, an undergraduate major would most certainly be better prepared.

I know that any of our minors is better qualified to be a collections manager or exhibit developer than many, many newly-minted holders of master's degrees. And yet, when a museum can post positions for part-time, front line education staff or collections assistants saying "bachelor's required masters preferred" and get dozens of masters level applicants, the mindset is "masters = better" what do you suppose happens to the bachelors-level applicants?

A local museum recently passed over one of our students (who worked extensively, hands-on, in our collections) for a part-time collections assistant position (mostly to do cataloging and data entry and assist with research requests, but also work on exhibits). This student lives in the same city as the museum and has roots there. She was interviewed but not offered the job mostly because, based on conversations I had with friends at the museum, while she was certainly qualified for the job, they could get a masters degree (12 of them applied) for the same compensation package, so why not?

This problem is the "elephant in the middle of the room" that no one wants to see. We have too many graduate programs turning out too many people for the few, poorly paying jobs that they all claw and fight for. AAMG and COMPT want to discuss and set standards for curriculum and skills, but what we need is a system that rates schools (undergraduate and graduate) on the cost and rigor of their programs, and especially their post-masters placement and compensation rates.

[Rant over.]

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

• 5.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 11:05 AM

Daniel,

Thank you for the courage to stand up and post that "rant'.  I nodded my head repeatedly as I read and then re-read your post.  i am from the j

Jurassic era of museum professionals, way back before museum studies existed and way before anyone thought to offer higher degrees.

I worked my way through undergrad with a History degree and spent my Junior year in England to learn more about archaeology and museum work.  I came back and spent my Senior year doing an internship I got myself at the State historical museum.  I walked into the Archaeology department and asked if i could help out.  Spent an amazing year doing all kinds of hands on things and learning to be a Registrar (I didn't know what that was but i liked to handle artifacts so it worked!).  i walked out of college with a newly minted BS (all that science stuff, only History major with a BS) in History and got a job as a Registrar in a natural history museum.  Never looked back and I love my work.  

That all said, I have worked with a handful of student interns who wanted to learn collections management and I have encouraged a lot of hands on work.  Skill and practice go a long way towards learning your craft and I am sad to see so many talented young students immediately head off to grad school, believing they will not be hired without a MA.  The tale of the tape seems to point to not being competitive without Grad school.

How can we slow or reverse this trend?  Young people are being saddled with school debt and coming out to compete in huge numbers against other MAs.  In my opinion some of this seems to be a trend towards making money.  A lot of programs have sprung up and it is a good money making idea.  I am not knocking MAs at all, but I do wish that more emphasis was put on a well round Bachelors with hands on experience.  Think a lot of good students who don't head for grad school are being lost to other fields.

My "rant" is over.  You got me thinking.  Interesting conversation.  

Linda

Linda Nelson
    Registrar
    Maryland Science Center
    Baltimore MD

• 6.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-31-2015 11:44 AM

So much to say on this topic, and I just had to add my own experience to the discussion.

I began school knowing I wanted to work with local history and the museums within my community, so obviously I started by getting a History degree.  I was very successful as an undergrad, earning many scholarships, awards, & other recognition - and my professors were very encouraging for my future as a Masters student.  

Not long into my BA program, I began working in a local museum as an intern, and thankfully, this allowed me to start on my "2-5 years experience" necessary that so many job opportunities require.  This internship experience, which was divided between a historic house museum and a city museum, lasted for 4 years and brought me the best insight into the museum world than any undergraduate class could.  I made a choice then and there to not pursue a Masters degree in the field of history (much to the chagrin of my professors), but rather to earn a Masters in Business Communication.

With this wide array of experience in and out of the classroom, not only do I have the analytical skills for research, writing, and interpretation, but I also have the skills to form community partnerships, develop new programming, manage projects, create educational programs, coordinate facility use, monitor revenue streams & budget concerns, write grants, handle artifacts & manuscripts appropriately, develop capital campaigns, handle personnel issues, train new interns & employees, encourage professional development, and on and on and on. 

I was lucky enough to witness the "everyday" practice of museums, which often run low on operating, and make many employees do "more with less."  If I had job candidates in here right now, for any position, my decision to hire would most certainly involve their overall skill set, rather than their education, Masters or Bachelors.  I think too many students are forced to specialize their skill set or even their body of knowledge, giving them unrealistic expectations of future job prospects.  In my opinion, the interdisciplinary, cross-departmental approach on the academic level is vital to the development of critical thinking skills useful in the workplace.  How do we expect students to truly be aware of multiple perspectives & biases when they've been on one track throughout their education? 

And what about those Bachelors students who are consistently overlooked at the hiring table?  Will they feel the pressure to take out tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to go back for an MA?  Will they feel as if their Bachelors degree no longer has value?  What about their sense of pride & accomplishment?  What about the knowledge they gained?  How do they see themselves?  All of that matters when going out into the work force, particularly in the interview process.

I was lucky - I was hired for my position specifically because of my depth of education & experience.  My choice paid off.  But I was also lucky in that as a student, I had museum professionals that did not sugarcoat the museum world.  They shared the hardships, never made me feel like I was "free labor," and taught me to be a wearer of many hats.  Those lessons are some of the most important in what we do.  I encourage all of us to remember that in academia and at the hiring table.

Jessica Stavros
    Director, Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site
    Indiana State Museum & Historic Sites
    New Albany IN

• 7.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 11:48 AM

Bill,

I am struggling with this situation right now. I have and AA and BA in history, did a very hands on internship at the Holocaust Memorial Museum of San Antonio, and will begin a mater's program in the fall. In all of the positions I seem to see, a masters is required. It seems you are right that in many places that a "master's degree = better".

I am currently working in the Visitor Services department at another museum in San Antonio which I do really enjoy; but working from the ground up seems to be the most realistic way to try to secure another position in the museum field, as I am already a part of the team, while still securing that master's title. 

Jessica Strom
    Boerne TX

• 8.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-31-2015 11:59 AM

I share Daniel's concerns regarding the ratio of degree holders to jobs.  As the market gets flooded with more newly minted museum studies degrees, I worry that those holding them will find that they're entering a "buyer's market" that puts downward pressure on salaries (which are already far from stratospheric).  Match those conditions up with the substantial debt most students take on to get their degrees and those who are fortunate enough to land jobs in a museum may find that they cannot afford to stay. 

As for the value of practical hands-on experience, I agree that often this is as or more useful than credentials.  I had a work-study job in a museum throughout my college years, and the skills developed and knowledge gained there - outside of the classroom - have proven to be most valuable to my career today. 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 9.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 08-01-2015 12:24 PM

August 1, 2015

Greetings:

The reality in today’s “Brave New World of Work,” and not just in the museum area, is that hiring requirements are more stringent and fields are increasingly professionalized, yet the number of available positions is down and their salaries, titles, benefits, and perks are reduced.

Gregory Dobie
    Editor/Educator/Writer
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 10.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 08-03-2015 04:03 PM

I concur with Gwen McCausland's comments. I entered the field the "old-fashioned" way - with degrees in fields that could be connected to a museum. I gained experience as a volunteer at the museum where I became employed - I knew the museum collections better than anyone else. My current position evolved from the previous museum job which morphed over my time there: I had experience that meshed with the requirements, and that's fundamental for every professional position.

With any inquiry, I urge them to get hands-on experience before applying: part-time paid or volunteering works. A few hours a month at a museum extended over one's college years is more beneficial than a semester-long internship. It shows long-term interest and persistence. I've worked with volunteers who got hired in the field (with real experience from working with us) on their resume. Research and theory can only go so far. There are too many experiences that must be worked / lived through. 

A university program in museum studies, whether for a museology degree or a single class, should include placement as a volunteer at an institution related to the student's career choice. For a reality check, learning the starting salary range and a review of job positions posted by the AAM is essential.

Let's face it - we have cool careers that others would be happy to take if the opportunity presented itself! It is natural to have far more people looking for work than positions available.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 11.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 10:06 AM

My husband, a high school chemistry teacher, and I have similar advice for students who want to go into education or museums. He recommends that they get a degree in what ever field of study, possibly dual major in education, and get a masters in instruction/education. You will be qualified for a higher pay grade as a teacher and your degree is able to transfer easier outside of academia if you choose not to teach. I would give the same advice for students wanting to go into museum education. I wouldn't narrow my focus that specific at the undergraduate level. I would suggest maybe a minor or a masters but not a major. The museum field is very competitive with few museum education jobs and many positions prefer graduate level degrees.

To answer your second question, we are hiring a education coordinator. I need someone who can create an exciting dynamic ecology of learning for the museum for all ages and backgrounds.  Unlike a traditional classroom setting, the sky is the limit on how you deliver the educational content and your time for the "lesson" varies with every group. So basically, I want someone who can think outside the box, be highly organized, create lessons rooted in the state curriculum standards and make things happen. They also have to do well in organized chaos of school tours.
    Gwen McCausland
    Director
    State Agricultural Heritage Museum

South Dakota State University
    Brookings, SD

• 12.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 10:10 AM

I know of one other university that offered a museum studies undergraduate program (note it was museum studies, not museum ed specifically) and it failed miserably.  The program was all theory and nothing practical, and the 5 graduates I met from it were very poorly prepared to enter the museum field.  It folded after about 3-4 years, I believe. They also had no one on staff who currently worked in museums, so they were not learning much about trends and issues that were happening at the time.

Personally I feel very strongly against undergraduate programs in Museum Education/Museum Studies, for several reasons.  The field is already crowded with programs (yes, mostly graduate, but still there are programs) and many recent graduates struggling to find work, especially full-time.  I also think that having a student be grounded in a discipline first - or even interdisciplinary studies such as English and History, or Science and Social Studies, better prepares them to be museum workers because they've found an area both in which they are interested and they have learned HOW to learn and how to study, and practice depth over breadth in a topic.  The idea of depth over breadth is part of museum studies, in my experience.

Full disclosure, I teach Museum Education as an adjunct in a Masters in Museum Professions Program at Seton Hall University. But I'm not just saying this to "protect" a job.  For the past 16 years I have seen many students, and in general (with notable exceptions) they are lacking in writing skills.  This includes analytical skills - the ability to synthesize and analyze and reflect, and answer the "so what."  These skills are vital to museum education - and I would argue, to functioning as a citizen in a democratic society.  I believe this stems from the K-12 education system more than higher ed, but that's a whole other conversation...

Kutztown has an excellent reputation for undergrad programs in Art Education (I once worked with a graduate of the program and learned so much from them).  As a person who once hired museum educators in a museum, seeing that degree on a resume would have been of great importance to me, because of the course of study that balanced theory and practice.  Perhaps Kutztown offering a certificate track in Museum Education could be an option within that major, allowing a student to explore the field more in-depth and clearly showing their interest in pursuing that career in grad school applications and future positions.

Respectfully,

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 13.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-30-2015 10:40 AM

You may want to contact Elizabeth Rodini at Johns Hopkins University. She is the founding director of the Museums and Societies undergraduate program and runs it in a similar way to what you are describing. Here's her page: http://krieger.jhu.edu/museums-society/directory/elizabeth-rodini/. 

Danielle Horetsky
    Curatorial Division Assistant
    The Walters Art Museum
    Baltimore MD

• 14.  RE: Museum Education

Posted 07-31-2015 09:28 AM

Also look at the Bank Street Leadership in Museum Education, http://www.bankstreet.edu/graduate-school/academics/programs/leadership-programs-overview/leadership-museum-education/

Jennifer Schmitt
    Head of Information Technology and Electronic Communications
    deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum
    Lincoln MA