Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The use of Dartek

Posted 07-27-2015 10:42 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the use of Dartek?  My company has been using it; however we are no longer doing so as there is some debate as to the quality of the material.   On one side it does not stick to many materials but on the other it carries a static charge and was not designed for art storage.  Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience/opinions on the matter.

Thank you

------------------------------
    David Us
    Seton Hall University Museum Professions Department
    Union NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: The use of Dartek

Posted 07-28-2015 09:23 AM

Dear David,

There is information about Dartek on the Museum of Fine Arts' (Boston) Cameo website: Dartek - CAMEO
     and on PACCIN's: http://www.paccin.org/content.php?72-Dartek.  That post discusses its stickiness.
    Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    New York State Office Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation
    Waterford NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: The use of Dartek

Posted 07-28-2015 02:17 PM

Thank you,

I've read the discussion and there are some concerns as to whether or not Dartek is actually archival.  It can, when heated to a high temperature, melt and act as a bonding agent; further the fact that it has a lot of static the material tends to attract dust and other particles.  So as far as art storage goes there are knew concerns being raised and I was wondering if anyone else had heard any thing to the contrary.

David Us
    Seton Hall University Museum Professions Department
    Kearny NJ