Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collecting visitors' demographic info -- solutions?

Posted 07-14-2015 08:48 AM

I've been tasked with devising a system to collect more demographic information from our visitors. The challenge seems to be obtaining these details (particularly age-ranges, as we already collect zip codes) in the most unobtrusive way possible, without ruining the visitor's experience.

I'd love to hear from your experience -- what worked, and what did not?

I'm considering creating a short survey in or near the ticketing area, with a possible incentive ("Win a Membership or Gift of Membership!"). The survey would include standard age-range & income range questions, a request for email, and then an opportunity for feedback on the exhibitions and building. Not sure if we should set up an ipad, or laptop computer, or some sort of completely separate kiosk type thing.

Thanks so much for any feedback you may have.

------------------------------
    Jeff Stewart
    Membership Manager
    Tampa Museum of Art

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collecting visitors' demographic info -- solutions?

Posted 07-15-2015 10:33 AM

Hi Jeff,

We're doing something similar to what you describe. We have an iPad tethered to a shelf in one of our galleries with an open survey loaded. We ask basic satisfaction questions as well as age, education, and gender. These questions are not required, although many people answer them. The incentive is to be entered into a weekly drawing for a $20 gift card to a local restaurant or specialty shop. We've found it very easy to get gift card donations from restaurants we do business with as well as restaurants near our museum.

Amanda Martin, Deputy Director
    Fort Wayne Museum of Art

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collecting visitors' demographic info -- solutions?

Posted 07-16-2015 09:18 AM

We know most of the visitors' ages because of ticketing- different prices for adults, seniors, & children. But I struggle when grants and foundations want more-  things like race. Most "check a box" systems are offensive or problematic, and definitions are fluid. Our solution was  to collect zip codes then download census data and take income and race estimates by zip code to extrapolate our numbers. 

Emma Allen
    Visitor Services and Museum Store Manager
    Bell Museum of Natural History - University of Minnesota

Minneapolis

------