Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Should museums take on tough issues?

Posted 07-13-2015 08:44 AM
    Good morning colleagues:

Tough issues abound and history museums have the opportunity to become places where thoughtful discussions happen.  You might be interested in the latest post at the Uncataloged Museum, where a drive through upstate New York prompts some reflection--and a call to action.

Best,

Linda

--
    linda@lindabnorris.com
    lindabnorris.com
    607-829-3501     Treadwell, NY  13846

New from Left Coast Press  Creativity in Museum Practice
    Like museums?  Check out the Uncataloged Museum
    Like food?  Take a look at the Pickle Project
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Should museums take on tough issues?

Posted 07-13-2015 09:57 AM

Hi Linda,

Similar post from over the weekend at time.com: Museums Are Changing. Thank Goodness

TIME remove preview
    Museums Are Changing. Thank Goodness
    This post is in partnership with the History News Network, the website that puts the news into historical perspective. A version of the article below was originally published at HNN. 2015 is shaping up to be an important year in American identity.
    View this on TIME >

Reflecting on these conversations, I think the question for most museum workers now is not "should" but "how"...

------------------------------
    Alexander Tronolone
    Senior Educator
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Should museums take on tough issues?

Posted 07-13-2015 12:12 PM
    Hi Linda,

Thank you for the question. I am not sure if you have heard of the Nakba Museum Project www.nakbamuseumproject.com
    We had our first exhibit in Washington DC last month and it attracted a lot of discussions and conversations among visitors. Check recent articles here http://mondoweiss.net/2015/06/untold-stories-washington

Best,

Bshara
    Project Director 

• 4.  RE: Should museums take on tough issues?

Posted 07-14-2015 06:34 AM

There was  lively discussion about this a couple weeks ago in "Behind the Scenes at the 21st Century Museum" - a MOOC taught by the University of Leicester.  There were a lot of pro and con voices.  I would be happy to share the comments if you are interested.  Here are a couple of the comments:

I think the most interesting point from this week was the idea that a 'neutral' museum does not exist, and that a museum pretending to be neutral is actually adopting the narrative of the dominant group in society. For me this casts the net a lot wider and makes me think that museums have a broader role than I would have thought at the start of the week. In the poll, fewer people thought that museums have a role in tackling unemployment and helping youth offenders. But if the statement about neutrality is correct then surely it is problematic for a museum NOT to address these areas. Because in doing so it is adopting the narrative of power held by people in jobs without criminal records. I'm sure life is hard enough for people who are unemployed or need rehabilitation without them also being implicitly excluded from our cultural institutions.

The case studies over the last few weeks have forced me to rethink my idea about the role of museums in society. In one of my earlier posts I said that I thought it was the responsibility of museum professionals not to use their displays to generate emotions for political or cultural reasons. I now see that this is not possible. Museums are about culture and the human experience, and these are not objective things. They can only be understood through interpretation, so it’s not possible to be completely neutral. David Fleming sums this up perfectly when he says that ‘Museum neutrality is not merely the avoidance of a position; it is the covert adoption of a position, disguised as neutrality’. If museums can reach out to all members of a community, they are in a brilliant position to be able to tackle issues of social justice, and I now think it’s important that they do.

Donia Conn MLS
    Ballston Spa NY