Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Display rotation

Posted 07-09-2015 12:47 PM

Is there a standard recommendation for how long objects should be on display?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rachel Marshall
    Intern
    American Jazz Museum
    Kansas City MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Display rotation

Posted 07-10-2015 10:13 AM

In my previous work in collections I used the National Park Service Handbook to inquire about care of specific pieces. There may be other publications that you could reference.

National Park Service - Museum Management Program

The answer or answers to your question is dependent on the type of object (material of the object) and the environment (lighting, temp, humidity, etc.) that the objects are being shown in. 

Sara Arnas
    Grants Manager
    Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    Chicago IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Display rotation

Posted 07-10-2015 01:03 PM

Sara, 

Thank you for this helpful response. I have learned that the entire collection has been on display for a long time, several years. There is a mixture of artifacts: sheet music, records, brass and wooden instruments, as well as radios and a couple of gramophones. 

The temp/humidity is not always consistent. These are all concerns we're trying to fix! I have had some trouble locating information on recommended display times in general but I will look at this source you have so helpfully provided!

Thank you! 

Rachel Marshall
    Intern
    American Jazz Museum
    Kansas City MO