Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Free Pictures

Posted 06-25-2015 01:21 PM

Hello my name is Nick and I am a healthy educator at the Boston Children Museum and  one of the struggles that I face is finding pictures that I can use legally for my activities. Does anyone have any website that they use that could help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Nick

------------------------------
    Nicholas Ventura
    Boston Children's Museum
    Boston MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-26-2015 09:33 AM

Hi Nick,

You didn't specify if you're looking for photos or clip art, but here are two sites I use to find images.  For clipart, there's openclipart.org.   If you need audio, video, and photos that are royalty-free, try pond5.com - for some of the stuff on the website there is a charge but for images and footage you can also filter by public domain (Free).

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-26-2015 10:39 AM

Try Archive.org. They have a wealth of material that is largely public domain. I use it all the time to mine old WWII videos and manuals (TMs)for our museum. Searching is cumbersome but worthwhile. It is easy to get distracted by something interesting that is totally unrelated to what you are looking for.

Lawrence Starr
    Museum Manager
    American Airpower Museum
    Farmingdale NY

• 4.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-26-2015 11:58 AM

HI Nick,

There are a lot of great resources available out there. Read up a little on copyright issues on these and other forums.

If you use google, and search for images, there is a menu for "More Tools" and one of the options is "usage rights" so you can filter search images for ones that can be reused non-commercially, etc

Also, check out Flickr's "Creative Commons"

Barton Hays
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA

• 5.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-29-2015 10:45 AM
    Edited by Elizabeth Bazan 06-29-2015 10:48 AM

This is something I have struggled with for a long time as well. Here are the sites I have bookmarked for images. Usage on each of these differs as far as how you need to credit the work and how you can use it, so spend some time with the fine print. Most images taken by Federal employees in the course of their duties are in the public domain, so government sites are good places to look. The last link will take you to some good resources on those.

USFWS National Digital Library

Flickr: Creative Commons

Welcome to the PLANTS Database | USDA PLANTS

Free Vector graphic art, free photos, free icons, free website templates, psd graphic, photoshop brush, font, footage free download

Morguefile.com free stock photos

Ottawa County Parks's albums | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

U.S. Government Photos and Images | USA.gov

Another thing I have found helpful is to make sure I save the copyright information with each file after download. Just right click and pull up the properties window. This helps me remember where the image came from and who/how to credit later.

-Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Assistant Curator of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 6.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-29-2015 03:14 PM
    Edited by Kathleen McNeece 06-29-2015 03:14 PM

Definitely read up on Creative Commons & copyright rules.  Here are some sources we've used:

WellcomeImages.org

Flickr.com

www.usa.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml

Good luck!

Kathleen McNeece
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH

• 7.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 06-30-2015 01:03 PM

All great suggestions!

Also, check out:

Wikimedia Creative Commons 

United Nations Multimedia -- They're surprisingly quick at emailing high-res files.

Emily Mohney
    Collections Manager
    Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center
    Skokie, IL

• 8.  RE: Free Pictures

Posted 07-01-2015 11:21 AM

Try these sites for royalty free images, vectors & illustrations. Best of luck!

The Leading Source Of Free Stock Photos - freeimages

Freeimages remove preview
    The Leading Source Of Free Stock Photos - freeimages
    stock photography community - browse our huge gallery for high quality stock photos or share yours with others.
    View this on Freeimages >

Pixabay - Free Images

Pixabay remove preview
    Pixabay - Free Images
    Over 410,000 high quality photos, illustrations, and vector graphics. Free for commercial use. No attribution required.
    View this on Pixabay >

No Cost Royalty Free Stock Photography, Vectors and VIdeo | Unrestrictedstock.com

Unrestrictedstock remove preview
    No Cost Royalty Free Stock Photography, Vectors and VIdeo | Unrestrictedstock.com
    We provide high quality stock photos, videos and vectors for free and with no usage restrictions.
    View this on Unrestrictedstock >

Free Vector Art & Graphics

Freevector remove preview
    Free Vector Art & Graphics
    Welcome to FreeVector.com, a website dedicated to free vector art. Sign up here and start downloading the Illustrator EPS, AI, JPG, PDF & SVG files from our huge vector collection. On the Free Vector website you will find thousands of quality vector graphics created by talented illustrators, free wallpapers, logos, icons and templates.
    View this on Freevector >

Freya Liggett
    Museum Manager
    Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
    Moses Lake WA