Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Marketing Budget

Posted 06-23-2015 11:57 AM

Hi all, I am working on my marketing budget for fiscal year 2016 and wonder if anyone can share their wisdom? We are in the midst of a major renovation and my budget is tight. Even though we are closed, we still have programs, events, classes and memberships to promote and we will be reopening in spring 2016 (the very end of the fiscal year). My CFO is asking me to really look at ROI's and be thoughtful about where I spend my money. I would love input on best practices...

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------
    Amy Mercer
    Marketing and Communications Manager
    Gibbes Museum of Art
    Charleston SC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Marketing Budget

Posted 06-24-2015 08:49 AM

I'm going to answer counter to what you'd probably expect; I'm no longer convinced there are "overall best practices," but rather it depends on your particular market/city/region. You need to find out 1) what method(s) your city sees the most, and 2) what your members prefer as a method to stay updated on what you do.

Unfortunately, if you don't know already know this, it will take time and be a matter of trial-and-error. As an example, after a number of attempts on paid email blasts to specific local distribution lists, it turned-out to be an waste of money. They did not lead to any registrations for those particular programs. And, on the flip side, for my market, traditional old-school tv ads and billboards work, but radio does not. Ads/coupons in local magazines work, but coupons in the playbills of performances do not, and I don't have enough data yet to determine if newspapers help. Facebook works, but Twitter does not. 

The ones piece I'd recommend is to to start with something that you can code and monitor for 6+ months, i.e. coded discount coupons.

Here are a few ideas for low- or no-cost ads... send press releases for everything you do; trade admission tix for radio/tv ads or for radio/tv contests; every time a local non-profit/school PTA/church asks you for admission tix as a door prize or silent auction item in their fundraiser you should send a few; print discount coupons and have staff distribute them at community events/outreach programs/etc.  

Good luck.

Martin Fisher

Director

Science Central
    Fort Wayne IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Marketing Budget

Posted 06-24-2015 09:50 AM

Dear Amy,  my recommendation is to do as much on line as possible. Emails, newsletters, and any other methods that keep your print and design costs down.

also in terms of print work consider monthly/quarterly calenders rather than for each event.  Reduced frequency requires better planning and longer lead times but impact well on the budget. Success!

Barbara Krulik

Bureau Phi/Krulik Cultural Consulting Services