Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Braille, Large Print Materials

• 1.  Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-11-2015 11:55 AM

Hi everyone,

We had an Educator Appreciation Event last night and were giving away lessons, curriculum, materials etc... This morning I had one of the teachers who came write me to share her disappointment that we had not created versions of these materials in braille and large print. I am certainly sympathetic to her concerns (she teaches visually impaired students). However, this is the first such request we've had for this specific type of resource in my five years. We are exploring options for better serving this group, but I wonder if this is fairly standard practice to print materials in braille and/or large print? Do your museums typically develop this sort of resource? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------------------
    Anthony Pennay
    Director, Annenberg Learning Center
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-12-2015 09:10 AM

Grounds For Sculpture developed a touch tour of our sculpture specifically for visitors with vision impairments. When this program was designed in 2006, we did produce braille labels for the works of art featured on the tour. However, actual practice has shown that the braille labels were not very helpful. A partner organization of ours who works with the blind has indicated that only a small percentage of blind individuals use braille, and that it is actually decreasing as audio recordings are becoming more common and are easily accessible.  That said, we no longer offer braille labels.

We do create large print text of all our exhibition materials, including text panels and labels. More recently, we've moved to making sure the actual labels in the gallery are in large text, so that additional resources do not need to be created.  I believe it is part of the ADA law that any publicly viewable information (like labels) be made accessible. For lesson plans or other hands-outs, we generally do not product large print, although if someone requested it, we would accommodate. You may want to consider indicating that large print is available upon request only.

Cassandra Demski
    Curator of Education
    Grounds for Sculpture
    Hamilton NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-13-2015 09:23 AM

Like many museums, we design and produce large print versions of exhibition texts and educational material on office computers (PC or Mac).  It is so easy these days that visitors and teachers expect them.  

If you use an education text or curriculum package on a re-occurring basis for a permanent exhibit, you really should try to provide it in large print for free distribution and in Braille as a loaner for teachers.  As a presidential library or foundation, you may be able to request Braille transcriptions from Library of Congress or your state's library system.  If Braille is not available or is not used by your school system, create an audio version of the text on a CD.  

I have hopes for 3-D printing for easy-to-produce raised line versions of educational material that could be distributed freely.  

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    Curator of Exhibitions
    New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-12-2015 09:12 AM

Hi Anthony,

When I worked full time at museums, what we'd typically print on all our materials is something like "Available in Large Print upon request."  and include the graphic icon for Large Print that is part of the disability symbols.  If it was something like a brochure, we would run a smaller print quantity in large print and hand them out as requested; for lesson plans, if we did them in house we could just create a file in large print and email it to them; it became more complicated if it were something printed and designed, hence the "upon request."  I don't recall ever having to do it, but our plan was that we'd get copies printed and it would take an additional 2 weeks - which we would tell them when they requested it. The only materials we had in Braille were our directional signage for exiting and in the elevator, etc.

Regarding Braille - I just did an accessibility audit of a site with a person with a disability who works for a center for independent living.  He said that Braille is dying out - I'm not sure I agree - just repeating what he said.  I know our state has a commission for the blind and visually impaired, and I'm guessing all states do - I would suggest calling them and asking their opinion on what to do regarding the Braille materials.

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 5.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-12-2015 01:58 PM

Regarding Braille, it is my understanding that individuals who are blind at birth or a fairly young age will learn the language while those who develop visual impairments as a result of age, disease, or accident in adulthood will not.

As for printing materials, which are expensive, why not include in your invitation/rsvp an option for those attendees who will want these materials to indicate their interest?Then print maybe an additional 10 percent for your visitors/participants. When I was a Museum Access Coordinator, I would collect samples of printed material in different formats for persons with impairments whenever I visited another institution or presentation.

Maribeth Flynn
    Museum Education Consultant

• 6.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-12-2015 09:14 AM

The ADA, Title III covers (in part) effective communications in museums.  All printed material, videos, powerpoint programs have to be in formats that offer everyone the opportunity to experience and learn.  Braille would be one form of effective communication for visitors who are blind, large print for visitors with low vision, audio for both persons who are blind or have low vision.  Check out the ADA, Title III available on the web - through the Dept of Justice, Access Board or any local ADA organization in your area.

Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

Muscarelle Museum or Art

College of William & Mary

• 7.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-12-2015 10:03 AM

The answer to your question is that it should depend on the needs of the museum's "community": local, regional, national, international.  Ask the teacher about her students' preferences for large type or braille as well as the title of braille or large type pubications that have been most helpful to them. Ask the blind visitor him/herself the same questions.  A majority of sight impaired or blind people have some residual sight, and many people lose their sight slowly as they age and therefore have never had the opportunity to learn braille.  Still, there are many blind people who have had the opportunity to learn braille and do use it, as well as talking books. In considering  braille or large type  publications, it is important to uphold the aesthetic and content standards  of the museum. Too frequently, these "special" publications have the appearance of inexpensive knock-offs for which little aesthetic or curatorial thought has been given.  Years ago, the Grey Gallery (NYU) published a very handsome catalogue of contemporary sculpture in large type with high contrast photographs. The Smithsonian also has a record of attractive and effective publications in braille and large type.  Over the last 50 years, many of the large institutions such as the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, etc. have experimented with such publications; whether they continue to publish them, you would have to enquire.  The NEA Office for Special Constituencies should be able to give you referrals as well as suggest up to date model publications.

My real worry about your question and others on Museum Junction regarding service dogs and other disabled visitor service questions, is that our profession seems to have no memory on this subject and continues to reinvent the wheel.  Over 30 years ago, I dealt with these issues at the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Harold Snider and Jan Majewski did the same at the Smithsonian; there was someone charged with this responsibility at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the British Museum, and the Museum of Modern Art just to  name a few. Even then we were not the first museum professionals to explore the subject.  AAM, ASLH, and the NEA all have conducted "how to" workshops on the subject.  I grant you that it is difficult if not impossible for a small museum to charge a staff member with just this particular audience.  But this information is readily available; except for audience and medical research, the "basics" in this area of museum education are not new.

Now, a few decades later, as a profession it seems hat we are  struggling with the same issues when they should be "old hat" and integrated into our work ethic and job training.  Given the number of disabled people in the world and their potential museum visitorship, perhaps AAM should address the issue of why this challenge continues to be vexing to its membership and what can be done to help its members overcome memory loss on this particular issue.  

Charles Steiner
    Fort Smith AR

• 8.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-15-2015 10:13 AM

First addressing educational materials.  I would say offering them electronically is much better than offering them in large print.  This is cost-effective for the museum, and it allows the teachers to display them in a variety of ways that suit their students' visual needs.

Now, as for the rest of the museum - 

We have both blind and deafblind visitors at our museum regularly.  We have both Braille and large print versions of our permanent exhibit's labels as well as our rotating exhibits' labels.  Note that these also include visual descriptions of photos and other items, it's not just the text from the wall.

Unfortunately, booklets take away from the museum experience for many blind and deafblind visitors, as they can simply sit on a bench to read the materials, and don't get the integrative experience of wandering the museum, standing in front of objects to use their usable vision, etc.  Walking and reading Braille or large print is difficult, but audio tours are not yet an option for us, so visitors can only sit on the benches and read.  We are working on integrating our exhibit with electronic Braille readers like the Focus or Braille Sense U2, as several of our deafblind visitors have expressed an interest in this option.

-Meredith

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-15-2015 10:36 AM

The Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) has a nice guide, Clear Print Design Standard, available on their website (http://www.cnib.ca/en/services/resources/Clearprint/Pages/default.aspx).  Their Clear Print research report, published in 2006, is also available there.

Sue
    Susan Maltby
    Conservator
    Toronto ON

• 10.  RE: Braille, Large Print Materials

Posted 06-15-2015 05:39 PM

Thank you everyone for these helpful, thoughtful responses. It's always so amazing to see the fine work being done by so many out in the field. We'll definitely work with this particular request to find a solution that works for her needs. Thanks for all the ideas and examples.

Anthony Pennay
    Director, Annenberg Learning Center
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA