Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-05-2015 08:30 AM

Does anyone have a written policy about service dogs? A few months ago I read a great article (I think the NYTimes) about the misuse of service dog privileges and what the proper definition of a service dog should be. People go on line and purchase fake service dog tag so that they can bring their dog places they are not allowed. Recently a lady with a Shih tzu came to our  museum and said it was a service dog. She had a tag. I haven't been able to find the article.

Susanne Pandich , Manager Public Programs

The Pocantico Center

200 Lake Road, Pocantico Hills | Tarrytown, NY 10591
    direct 914-524-6545 | fax 914-524-6550 |  spandich@rbf.org

Rockefeller Brothers Fund  | Philanthropy for an Interdependent World

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-06-2015 08:06 AM

HI Susanne - See: 

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
    Jul 12, 2011 ... A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform ... Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly ...

In my trainings I have suggested writing in a paragraph on you website and in your policy brochure that you follow the ADA guidelines that stipulates exactly what the Dept of Justice outlines, but I also suggest that you check out if you local State or city laws have added/changed anything that might affect your museum.  There are only two questions you might ask to user "(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."

Good luck,

------------------------------
    Shirley Confino-Rehder
    Docent

Muscarelle Museum

College of William & Mary

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-07-2015 10:50 AM

Hello Susanne,

Shirley is absolutely correct. We recently had training workshop for all staff who regularly interface with the public at our museum. The speaker was from the Florida Division of Blind Services and provided some informative resources. One of the most straighforward places to go for information is this FAQ from U.S. Department of Justice Disability Rights Section Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

The important things I took away from the workshop were the two allowable questions:

1. Is this a service animal required due to a disability?
    2. What service/action is this animal trained to perform?

The other thing to remember is that if the animal is a service animal, it will be extremely well-behaved. If any service animal poses a direct threat to the health and safety of other, they can be excluded from your facility (asked to leave). 

I'm glad to hear that more people and institutions are thinking closely about these issues of access. 

Gabrielle Graham
    Museum Educator
    Museum of Florida History
    Tallahassee FL

• 4.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-08-2015 05:06 PM
    The following is the answer I received from the New England ADA Center. I
    hope it helps. - Ruth Super

Hi Ruth,

We recommend that organizations and businesses develop a policy from the
    Department of Justice?s guidance on service animals
    www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm particularly this section:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited
    inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions:

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

Staff cannot ask about the person?s disability, require medical
    documentation, require a special identification card or training
    documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to
    perform the work or task.

We strongly recommend that organizations and businesses train their
    security and other personnel who have frequent contact with the public to
    ask the questions when it is not obvious that the person has a disability
    and needs the dog because of a disability.

Emotional support and comfort animals are not considered to be service
    animals in title II or III of the ADA. Title II is the title that applies
    to state and local governments and title III is the title that applies to
    businesses and non-profit organization.

Businesses and organizations should find out if there?s a state law that
    is different from the ADA, i.e. includes emotional support animals. The
    ADA Centers either know that information or can direct people to their
    state affiliate. The centers have the same toll-free number 800-949-4232.

Kathy

Kathy Gips

New England ADA Center

200 Portland Street

Boston, MA 02114

800-949-4232 voice/tty New England only

617-695-0085 voice/tty

kgips@NewEnglandADA.org

A project of the Institute for Human Centered Design

The New England ADA Center is a non-profit organization that provides
    information, guidance and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
    The Center is part of the National Network of ADA Centers. The ten ADA
    Centers are funded by the National Institute on Disability Rehabilitation
    and Research.

• 5.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-07-2015 12:17 PM

Hi Susanne,

The article was in The New Yorker. Excellent. Here's the link.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

Mary Maher
    Editor and Graphic Designer
    Charlottesville VA

• 6.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-08-2015 10:37 PM

Excellent as in hilarious! Worth reading -- our graphic designer told me about it. I think I will wait until there is a problem before we come up with a policy, but I should offer the disclaimer that we have a docent dog! A service dog that we are testing as an aid to make the museum a friendlier place for those who are unsure about museums.

Cathy

Cathy Callaway
    Museum Educator
    Museum of Art & Archaeology, University of Missouri - Columbia
    Columbia MO

• 7.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-08-2015 07:42 AM

Hi Susanne! Great to see you here. I'll email you our policy, which was written after much research on both federal and state (PA) laws.

Sandra

Sandra Smith
    Director of Education and Visitor Services
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-08-2015 10:59 AM

I'm going to link back to a conversation on this topic from a few months ago, when this article first appeared

I'll repeat what I said then...I like to err on the side of access. I am extremely frustrated by these types of stunts and articles (and think that they're irresponsible journalism), because it makes it harder for those with unseen disabilities and invisible illnesses to get access to places, and to be taken seriously, and to have their medical needs taken seriously. 

A disruptive and ill behaved service animal and their handler may be asked to leave. Period. Vest, no vest, Labrador, mutt, or shih tsu. The damage done to barring someone to entry because they are not believed to be "sick enough" to "need" a service animal will be hard to undo, on an interpersonal and public relations front. 

I was really happy that my museum had a whole section of new employee training on people-first language, and proper etiquette when interacting with visitors with disabilities and special needs. I'm not explicitly front line staff, but I do tend to wander the museum periodically, and it has helped me to understand how so many different people experience our museums. 

Cheers,

Tracey 

Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

• 9.  RE: Service Dogs in Museums

Posted 06-10-2015 02:22 PM

Our biggest problem is with "Comfort" or "Emotional" support animals.  These are not service dogs.  Now believe it or not, there is an exemption to the service dog description for miniature horses.  Service dogs in training are not covered under ADA for mandatory entry.  That is up to the accommodation or business.  We allow them entry on a voluntary basis.  Also protection animals are not covered.  California state ADA law does not use a different definition for service dogs, just some added descriptors.  Also there is no federally recognized vest, patch, photo id, certificate or tag for service dogs.  In fact, you are not allowed to ask for such item.  Something else is that is you have to deny entry to a service animal, the person can return to your museum without the dog.

At least once a year we provide training to our staff and volunteers on this issue.  Additionally, a service animal handout is kept at our admissions desk so they have a reference item.  If I am on-site, they will call me with any problems.  Otherwise another available manager will handle any issues.  Welcome

California does have a criminal code violation for a person to fraudulently represent themselves as an owner or trainer of a service dog.  Up to 6 mths in county jail, $1,000 fine, or both.  in 2012 an arrest by a law enforcement officer for this charge was upheld by the federal district court, and the ADA discrimination law suit was summarily dismissed.

There is The ADA National Network.  It is divided into 9 regions I believe,  US DOJ had designated it to provide information, guidance and training on ADA for government, businesses and individuals at the local and regional level.  I have found them to be a good source of info.  You can find your specific region contact at www.adata.org

Raymond Meyer
    Safety & Security Manager
    Aerospace Museum of California
    McClellan CA