Open Forum

View Only

Looking for artifacts to loan for Texans in WWII exhibit

• 1.  Looking for artifacts to loan for Texans in WWII exhibit

Posted 05-28-2015 01:15 PM

Hello, my name is Kate McCloud, I am the Curator ofCollections at the Institute of Texan Cultures in San Antonio. The Institute iscurrently preparing for a new exhibit, Our Part of Victory: Texans in WWII,about the contributions of Texans to the war effort. The exhibit is scheduledto open on September 2 nd of this year and will run through December7 th of 2016.

We are currently looking for uniforms, equipment, and othermilitary service related items to loan for the exhibit that have a knownconnection to individual Texans. Obviously we would love to get items thatbelonged to well-known Texans, but would also be interested in items fromlesser known individuals provided they had a documented connection to Texas.

We are particularly interested in items related to thefollowing individuals:

Doris Miller

Samuel Dealey

Ovita Hobby

Leonard Roy Harmon

Harlon Block

Ira C. Eaker

Calvin Graham

William H. Simpson

Father Marcus Valenta

Otto P. Weyland

Horace S. Carswell, Jr.

Aubry Lee Moore

John Morris Sheppard

Katherine Luna

Lila Laverne Farquhar

We have already reached out to a number of national museumsfor the better known individuals (Bush, Eisenhower, Nimitz, Johnson, Murphy)but are still hoping to track down sources for more materials. If you have anyitems like this, that your organization(s) might be willing to loan for theexhibit, I'd greatly appreciate any assistance you might be able to offer.Also, please feel free to pass along my information to any other individual ororganization you think might be interested in participating in this project.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Kathryn"Kate" S. McCloud
    Curator of Collections
    Institute of Texan Cultures
    Office: (210) 458-2297
    ITC.Curator@utsa.edu
    Kathryn.mccloud@utsa.edu

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more