Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online Teacher Resources

Posted 05-27-2015 08:36 AM

I am working on fleshing out and expanding the resources (lesson plans and projects for the most part) that the Penn Museum makes available online for teachers and am wondering if folks could point me to exemplary museum offerings as well as share their own experiences creating teacher resources, particularly how involved teachers were in the process.

My best,

Thomas

------------------------------
    Thomas Leischner
    Museum Educator
    Penn Museum University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Online Teacher Resources

Posted 05-28-2015 09:40 AM

Hi Thomas,

I've done a few evaluation projects where museums wanted to know how/if teachers were using their on-line resources.  Both times - with an art museum and a history/outdoor site - responses were similar:

- make it easy for us to find the lessons on the website (put links on multiple pages to them)

- don't expect us to do them exactly as you write them

- don't give me a ton of detail on how to do them, since I will teach them the way I want to and adapt for my class (i.e. not a step-by-step lesson plan, more of an outline/suggestion/bulleted ideas)

- provide a link to a separate page on the website that shows how lessons align to content standards

- provide PDFs of any images/documents you want me to use in the lesson - don't make me search for them on your website or on line

- include suggested grade level, time frame (i.e. is it a class period or a week-long set of connected lessons), and materials needed towards the beginning of what you write

- on the first page, give a sentence or two on what the lesson will cover and what the students will do/walk away understanding

- Many teachers use Essential Questions (per Wiggins and McTigue's Backwards Design process) to frame their lessons - including one in the lesson you design is a bonus

Personally I have not had much success in having teachers CREATE the lessons, as they are not as familiar with how to teach with objects as museum educators are. and on background of the objects.  However, I have had good results with teachers reviewing what the museum has drafted and making really good suggestions on how to improve the lessons both in their content and format.   

If you wanted to talk more about this you can contact me off-list at claudia (a) museumpartnersconsulting.com

Best,

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Online Teacher Resources

Posted 05-28-2015 11:03 AM

5-28-15

Hi--

Here's a good site to explore: http://www.getty.edu/education/

Gregory Dobie
    Editor/Educator/Writer
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 4.  RE: Online Teacher Resources

Posted 05-29-2015 10:02 AM

Thomas,

We have made educational resources a part of the core mission of the Falls of the Ohio Foundation's website from its inception. Certainly input from teachers is beneficial, be it from individual conversations, roundtable discussion, or advisory committees. As you are know doubt aware, it is important to understand your state's educational standards as they align with your museum's mission because it is also reflected in your web-based resources.

Our first document was an Educator's Resource Handbook, created in partnership with a university professor of elementary education. It is multidisciplinary with classroom activities and background information tied to learning standards. At 60 pages, it was one of the first documents put on our website in 1998 - and is there today.

Since 2009 (when a website maintenance program was loaded on my computer), our educator's page has expanded substantially. It is frequently used (as evidenced by web stats, emails and PD participation from educators around the country and reservations through the request form). We get input and suggestions from time to time and add resources. Here is a link to our page: educator. Our "Teacher Resources" page includes links to other websites related to our mission.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 5.  RE: Online Teacher Resources

Posted 05-29-2015 12:13 PM

Hi Thomas,

I recently finished an online arts integrated curriculum developed in collaboration with a group of teacher fellows. It pairs with a series of PD but also stands on its own. Its a work in progress, so new works/content are being added to keep it fresh and a growing resource.

"Lessons" look more like suggestions based on teachers' own experience. Content and questions for discussion were a key component for each work of art. The work was developed collaboratively over several years, both museum staff and teachers working hand in hand. We then asked a different group of teachers to test the content to make sure it would work for most. Further, we found in our collaboration that teachers are nervous about teaching with works of art so we developed a series of videos that will help model tips and tricks for using works of art. Here's some information about the collaboration:

Welcome to Teaching and Learning Through Art | The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

Mfah remove preview
    Welcome to Teaching and Learning Through Art | The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
    Learning Through Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston connects the Museum's collections of world art into classroom curriculum for art, language arts, math, science, and social studies. LTA/MFAH bridges disciplines and curriculums to enable students to explore key concepts in the real world context of the art museum while teaching literacy and writing skills, math, science, and social studies.
    View this on Mfah >

http://www.mfah.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-01-30/14_398_LTA_Research_Report_Design_rd5.pdf

http://www.mfah.org/research/kinder-foundation-education-center/learning-through-art-videos/

I would be happy to chat if you want to know more specifics!

Best,

Jennifer Beradino
    Object Based Learning Manager
    Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
    Houston TX