Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

• 1.  Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 09-30-2014 11:11 AM

One benefit of participating in Museum Junction is it's a great opportunity to network with your colleagues.  Please take a few minutes to share with us some fun details about yourself so we can get to know one another. Reply to " Please Introduce Yourself Here" thread.  I'll get us started.

I'm Eileen Goldspiel and a recovering Washington lobbyist. I joined the AAM staff more than 13 years ago working in Government Relations. As Director of Member Engagement, I work with the leadership of the Alliance's 22 Professional Networks who provide members with resources to help them with their job and opportunities for peer-to-peer networking.  

Outside the office, you'll find me drinking tea with my nose in a book. I'm a fan of mysteries and can't wait until the release of Alan Bradley's next book featuring Flavia de Luce.

I look forward to "meeting" you online.

Best regards,

Eileen

-------------------------------------------
    Eileen Goldspiel
    Director, Member Engagement
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-02-2014 06:43 AM
    Hi, everyone. I hope this is the right thread... I teach for a living, but have always loved libraries and museums and non-profits. I have helped some community groups move toward digitizing their archives in the past few years.  Now I am creating a public collection of manuscripts on a site using MediaWiki. I'd like to work with others who are involved with manuscripts, as well as those trying to push material into databases and archives. But I am passionate about helping others and am happy to try to find time to work on other projects, too. Let me know how you think I can help.

David Kaminski
    Teacher / Independent Researcher

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-02-2014 11:34 AM
    Hello - I'm Sarah Jencks, Director of Education at Ford's Theatre in Washington, DC.  In addition to looking to stay connected to the pulse of the field, I'm generally interested in better understanding how field- or project-specific online networks can work, I'm so excited to see how the Junction grows.  It seems like it could be a field game-changer.

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-11-2014 10:08 AM
    Hello everyone! My name is Christine Clements. I am the Curatorial Assistant of the Fauquier History Museum in Warrenton, VA. I graduated from the University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA, this May with a degree in Historic Preservation and a minor in Museum Studies. The Fauquier History Museum is a small museum, 2 staff members, myself and the director. We are housed in the old jail, 1808 jail and the 1823 jail are our two buildings. I'm doing a bit of everything at the museum - reorganizing and cataloging the collection, building exhibits, planning and executing fundraisers, as well as front desk and tours. I also volunteer on my days off at the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center, where I did my senior internship. I love history and have a passion for museums and collection management! I've written the collection management plan for the Fauquier History Museum, the archaeology lab at Mary Washington, and the architectural fragments collection at Mary Washington. I'd love to talk to others in small museums, or those just starting out! ------------------------------------------- Christine Clements Curatorial Assistant Fauquier History Museum at the Old Jail Warrenton VA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 05-07-2015 06:51 AM

Hello,

I am Silvia Pugi, I live in Italy and I manage a company organizing traveling exhibitions around the world.

Our exhibitions focus on Italian art, but always hove some entertaining elements, such as wine tasting and so on.

We recently worked in Italy, Poland and China, but not in the US so far... maybe next year.

best,

Silvia

------------------------------
    Silvia Pugi
    ceo
    Milano

• 6.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-07-2015 02:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am returning to the museum world after eight years in academia (PhD in anthropology + teaching three years at a university in Latvia). I missed working in museums during my academic "break", that I ended up finding ways to work museums into my curriculum and life while in Latvia. I ended up partnering with kim? Contemporary Arts Center on a museum education symposium and ended up inspiring some of my students to go into museum education after graduation.

I am especially interested in learning more about how community-museum partnership programs have transformed over the years (I am the former Manager of School and Teacher Programs at Weeksville Heritage Center), as well as about transitioning to working in contemporary art museums - especially when one does not have a MFA.

I am especially knowledgeable of the art and museum world in the Baltic States, if anyone is interested in connecting with institutions in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. I can also be helpful in terms of museum-academia relationship building.

Lauren Rhodes
    Amherst MA

• 7.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 09-29-2015 03:52 PM

Hi All,

I'm the owner of Taylor Studios, Inc., an exhibit design and fabrication firm. I'm enjoying this forum and learning of the challenges museums face.

Cheers,

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

• 8.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-19-2015 10:44 PM

Hello from Sherman, Texas!

My name is Brandon and I have recently started my museum career and it has been everything I dreamed it would be so far. I got my Bachelors of Arts in History from the University of Texas at Arlington and my Masters of Science in Library Science and Information from the University of North Texas. I just got my first job as a Museum Assistant II at a small local museum in my hometown called The Sherman Museum. Because of it's small size I have a plethora of duties, including accessioning and cataloging new items, running the museum's social media accounts, docent duties, and administrative duties. It's not without its challenges but it has been enjoyable so far!

I'm excited to meet my fellow colleagues on here and if you want to say hi, please don't hesitate to send me a message (I feel a response on the forum might get lost!).

Have a great day!

Brandon Young MLS
    Museum Assistant II
    The Sherman Museum
    Sherman TX

• 9.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-02-2014 06:41 PM
    Howdy from Texas! I'm Elizabeth MacCrossan, and I am the Support Services Coordinator at the Sophienburg New Braunfels Archive and Museum of History. I have been here for a year and a half as I transition out of higher education and into the museum education field. I specialized in border studies in my academic life, and I find that not only is our museum part of the border region that is Texas, the border region that is a historically German town in a formerly Mexican/Spanish/Native American territory, but that museums are border spaces within communities where histories, perspectives, and ideas all come together--sometimes colliding in interesting ways.

I hope to connect with fellow professionals who can discuss the many issues we face as we continually try to meet our communities' needs and concerns. 

Elizabeth MacCrossan PhD
    Support Services
    Sophienburg Museum & Archives
    New Braunfels TX

--

• 10.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-30-2015 12:07 PM

Hello Elizabeth! 

Your museum has been on my list to see for a while now! It is nice to see someone from the San Antonio surrounding area on this forum! 

Jessica Strom
    Briscoe Western Art Museum
    Boerne TX

• 11.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-02-2014 06:41 PM
    I'm Elizabeth Bazan. I am the Public Programs Coordinator at the Illinois State Museum in Springfield, IL. I have been interested in the use of social networks for professional networking. AAM has an excellent presence on LinkedIn that I have found very helpful. I am interested to see what the buy-in from the AAM community is for this new network and what will be offered to distinguish it from LinkedIn.

-Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Mary Ann MacLean Educator
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 12.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-02-2014 06:42 PM

Greetings Museum Friends,

I'm excited to try out Museum Junction and delighted to be among those sneak preview participants! I started in the museum field back in college first as an interpreter and then an intern. Today I work at Shelburne Museum in beautiful Vermont (the fall colors right now are near their peak) as the Adult Programs Coordinator. My position involves managing the Museum's Visitor Guide Program and producing public educational programs for adult audiences. Prior to joining Shelburne Museum in 2012, I spent almost five years  at the Nantucket Historical Association and spent six years at the Smithsonian Institution's National Postal Museum.

When I'm not working, I love spending time with friends and family and in the summer I like to kayak on Lake Champlain. It's more recreational and social than serious--my family describes it as "yaking while yacking," as it is usually at a leisurely pace where you can talk and kayak at the same time. I'm also currently a doctoral student at Lesley University and working on my dissertation

Looking forward to engaging in conversation with you!

Sincerely,
    Kim

Kimberly McCray
    Adult Programs Coordinator
    Shelburne Museum
    Shelburne, Vermont

• 13.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 10:38 AM
    Hello!  I'm Dulcie Hause and I am a Museum Educator at the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens in Jacksonville, FL.  I began my career here at the Cummer and worked here for 6 years.  I left the Cummer to switch to a classroom teaching position for our school district.  I taught 1st grade for 5 years.  After having my sweet twins, Lucy & Jude, in 2013 I left my classroom and came back to the museum!  I was very fortunate for that!  I've been back here for a year now.

I am the program manager for one of the Cummer's largest education programs, the Weaver Academy.  We serve 9 urban core schools (2 of which I taught at during that spell in my career!).  Students come to the museum for 2 free field trips and I visit their art rooms for 2 outreach visits.  I am rarely in-house at the museum, most of my time in in the schools.  I love that I still get to teach, but I don't have to bring grading home or stress over Common Core!

As you can imagine, all of my time outside of work is spent with my sweet twins and my husband. 

Dulcie Hause
    Museum Educator
    Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

• 14.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

All,

My name is Joseph Scanlin, but I go by Sepp.  At night, I'm a second semester Museum Studies student and emerging museum professional, while during the day I serve as an active Army Officer in the Pentagon.  I'm planning to move into museum work following my retirement from the military, so I'm learning more and more about the field daily.  I'm extremely excited to participate in the museum junction and look forward to trying to contribute to this amazingly diverse profession.

Joseph Scanlin
    Museum Studies Student
    Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs
    Washington DC

• 15.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Hi, all,

I'm Tegan Kehoe, and like many of us in this field, I wear many hats. I'm currently the Museum Educator and Reservations Manager at Old South Meeting House in Boston and finishing up a collections and curatorial internship at the Sargent House Museum in Gloucester, as well as working towards my MA in History and Museum Studies at Tufts (where I am the editor of the museum students' blog).  Outside of my museum life, I'm a writer and I dabble in community theater, knitting and knitting design, and community organizations and nonprofit management (how does one dabble in nonprofit management, you ask? Well, at the moment I'm on the finance board of my UU church). 

I am excited about the new AAM online community because I get a lot out of some LinkedIn and listserv discussions, but also find that they have their limitations, and I am hopeful that this additional option will help to fill some gaps. I look forward to talking with you all.

-Tegan

PS I find that in online forums especially, and with unusual names like mine, it helps if as many people as possible volunteer what pronouns we prefer to be referred to by, for ease of conversation in comment threads. I prefer she/her/hers.

Tegan Kehoe
    Old South Meeting House
    Boston MA

• 16.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ashley Scotto and I am on the beginning side of my career in museum education. I went to Seton Hall University (Go Pirates!) for a dual degree program in history and museum studies. I knew that I wanted to work in museums for quite some time. I love teaching, but the classroom was just not my calling. I find the museum an alternative classroom and thus an excellent resource for teaching different audiences. I am also very interested in the ability to connect with fellow professionals and see how opportunities like Museum Junction can share ideas and experiences. 

When I am not working or exploring another museum, I do love to cook, bake, and read. I am also rediscovering my love for the outdoors and am trying for all sorts of survival runs and obstacle races!

I look forward to connecting with everyone!

Sincerely,

Ashley
    Ashley Scotto
    Education Assistant
    Historic Speedwell
    Morristown, NJ

• 17.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 11:58 AM
    Hi everyone!

My name is Miriam Musco and I'm the Director of Education at the Science Museum of Western Virginia in Roanoke, VA.  I'm relatively new to this position - I've been here just 7 months - but I've worked in science museums in Ithaca, NY, Philadelphia, and Bloomington, IN where I got my start by volunteering and then interning museums.  I was lucky to be taken to many museums as a child - even if I didn't always appreciate it! - and then I was accepted to a summer program at the American Museum of Natural History in high school, and that started me thinking of museums as a career.

I'm a graduate of the Museum Studies program at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, and I'm currently about halfway through my Ed.D. in Education Leadership.  My M.A. thesis was on how homeschoolers use museums, and my dissertation (which I'm in the middle of - wish me luck!) is about how income inequality affects access to museums.

I'm currently active in AAM, ASTC, the National Science Teachers Association, and the Virginia Association of Museums.  I'm really looking forward to this new forum and to learning from everyone else on here through great discussions!

Miriam Musco
    Director of Education
    Science Museum of Western Virginia
    Roanoke VA

• 18.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 12:13 PM
    Hello everyone!

My name is Heather Jaran, and I am a NJ native who is currently studying for my Master's Degree in Innovation and Organization of Culture and the Arts at the University of Bologna, Italy. I know, what a mouthful! Basically, I graduated with a B.A. in History and went on to pursue a degree in Art and Culture Management. Not your typical museum student but an enthusiastic one none the less. As part of this program, I need to complete an internship and plan to complete mine in the US in one of our many, incredible museums. Although originally I was drawn to the educational side of museum work, this program has opened my eyes to the wonderful world of project management, development, fundraising, and the registrar. I can't wait to further develop my knowledge and to hear what advice, suggestions, ideas, you all have concerning the Museum field!

It's a joy to make your acquaintances!

Heather Jaran
    hljaran@gmail.com
    Budd Lake NJ

• 19.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 03:49 PM
    Hello, I'm a volunteer at the New Bedford Whaling Museum in the Digital Initiatives department.  I also work full time at Best Buy - I was in Geek Squad for 6 years and recently became the Front End Lead (in charge of Operations).  I went to the University of Maine for my Digital Curation Graduate Certificate and completed the program in June of this year.

In my free time I love reading, snowboarding, listening to music, and traveling!

• 20.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 05:36 PM
    Hello everyone, My name is Grace Davis and I serve as one of the Assistant Curators of Education and Exhibits, specifically youth and adult education, at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming. Recently, I completed my Master of Art and Design Education from Rhode Island School of Design. Therefore, I have only been in this position for a few months and am very interested in what other museums are doing in the education programs and exhibit interpretation. When I am not dreaming of new programming, I am hiking mountains of the region with my dog or enjoying good food with friends. I look forward to discussion ideas and learning from all of you. ------------------------------------------- Grace Davis Assistant Curator of Education and Exhibits National Museum of Wildlife Art Jackson Hole WY -------------------------------------------

• 21.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 09:00 AM

Hello to everyone from the beautiful state of West Virginia!

I completed my MA in Public History at West Virginia University. During my last year of my MA, I completed a year of AmeriCorps service with the Preservation Alliance of West Virginia. I started this fall as the "program assistant" at the Watts Museum, which is a coal and petroleum museum affiliated with WVU. We are a small museum, and I am essentially the second of two. I'm a young museum professional, eager to learn and grow!

When I'm not working, I like to spend time with the people I love and walk in the woods. 
    Eliza Newland
    Program Assistant

• 22.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-06-2014 09:22 PM
    Kristin, I'm also interested in pursuing a certificate in digital curation. I'd be interested in your take on the field and utility of a certificate. My technical skills are Geek Squad worthy, so I'd definitely have a steeper learning curve on the technical side. Any insight/advice would abe appreciated. Sepp ------------------------------------------- Joseph Scanlin Museum Studies Student Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs Washington DC -------------------------------------------

• 23.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 10:02 AM
    Joseph - I'm currently utilizing my knowledge from the Digital Curation Graduate Certificate at the Whaling Museum as a volunteer, but have yet to find a paid job :-) I am still searching and applying though! I think knowing Digital Curation and being able to tell museums you know how to provide digital curation is incredibly helpful in our time and age where most things needs to go digital. The program I took worked great with my full time work schedule and only took two years to complete. I'd definitely recommend it. ------------------------------------------- Kristin Segura www.linkedin.com/in/kristinsegura/ <http://www.linkedin.com/in/kristinsegura/> -------------------------------------------

• 24.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 09:37 AM
    My name is Zach Mattheus, and although I do not work specifically at a museum I am very excited about Museum Junction and how I might come to work closer with museums and cultural institutions in the future. Currently I am the Creative Director at ITHAKA (JSTOR, Ithaka S+R, Portico) a non-profit organization that helps the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.

Zachariah Mattheus

Brooklyn NY

• 25.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 09:45 AM
    Good morning from Columbus, Ohio.  I'm Sarah Rogers, Executive Deputy Director at the Columbus Museum of Art.   I remember the days when the fax machine was a new technology...so I've been around the non-profit museum world for some time.  I've worked in museums, contemporary arts centers, a science museum and performing arts organization.  The Columbus Museum is the midst of the final phases of a renovation and expansion so it is very interesting around here. I look forward to connecting with everyone and learning and sharing.

I'm also a tea drinker! so time for another cup.

Best,

Sarah

Sarah Rogers
    Executive Deputy Director
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

• 26.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-09-2014 02:22 PM
    Hello from sunny Northwest Florida! I work in fundraising and development for the University of West Florida. I have recently been assigned to help with development efforts for the UWF Historic Trust. The Historic Trust is comprised of 29 museums, museum houses, historic sites, and home to several archives. It has been and interesting adventure so far. I would love to hear from other folks who work with university run museums. Please feel free to contact me at jyoung2@uwf.edu. ------------------------------------------- Julie Young Development Coordinator University of West Florida Pensacola FL -------------------------------------------

• 27.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 09:47 AM
    I'm Martha Sielman, and I'm the Executive Director of Studio Art Quilt Associates, a 3,300-member arts organization.  We sponsor 3-4 new exhibitions each year which travel the globe.  In 2014 we have 11 exhibitions traveling, which will visit 21 states and 6 countries other than the US.  They will be seen by over a quarter million visitors.  We also are trying to build our website (www.SAQA.com) to become the go-to resource on everything about art quilts.  We publish a Journal, an annual Portfolio and catalogs for all our exhibitions.

We have a somewhat unique structure in that we are completely virtual.  The staff live all over the US, and we have Board members in Australia and France, as well as both coasts and in between.  We communicate by email, phone calls and use GoToMeeting and Office 365.  Virtual office meetings are an interesting challenge but it works for us.

Martha Sielman
    Executive Director
    Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc. (www.SAQA.com)
    Storrs CT

• 28.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 10:17 AM

Greetings,

My name is Leslie Walfish. I am the Gallery and Collections Coordinator at the Wriston Art Galleries, an on-campus gallery/museum of Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. I have been at Lawrence for over six years now, teaching and caring for the collection as well as putting on exhibitions of contemporary artists. I grew up in Northern Virginia, and I believe that living so close to the wonderful museums in Washington, DC was the reason I have always wanted to work in this field. I studied Art History at James Madison University for my undergraduate and in graduate school at the University of Arizona. Last year I decided to return to school, going for a second Masters (because why not?) at John's Hopkins University online program for Museum Studies.  (Sepp, I am surprised we haven't had a class together!)

I am excited to "meet" you all here on this open forum and look forward to the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas in this online discussion.

Leslie Walfish
    Gallery & Collections Manager
    Wriston Art Center Galleries Lawrence University
    Appleton WI

• 29.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 11:46 AM
    Good morning from downtown Washington, DC!

I'm Teresa Martinez, the Manager at the Octagon Museum. I've only been at the Octagon for about 5 months, but that time has been a crash course in all things small museum and historic house management. I've done everything from staff the front desk and empty dehumidifiers to write grant proposals and begin the long process of updating the interpretation at the museum! I'm incredibly excited about all of the new opportunities and challenges that small museums are facing, and I hope to be able to try out all sorts of new ideas here at the Octagon in the coming years!

Teresa Martinez
    Manager
    The Octagon Museum
    Washington DC

• 30.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 12:49 PM
    Hi Everyone-

Great to "meet" you all!  I am an emerging museum professional, working these past four years as the Education and Volunteer Coordinator for the William S. Hart Museum, which is about 30 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.  I love my job because I get to wear so many hats - education, volunteer management, exhibit planning, collections management... I do them all since the Hart is a small historic house museum with 2 full time staff members. 

I also finished the professional certificate in Collections Management at George Washington University, and I highly, highly, highly recommend it!  Excellent program with the best resources for approaching real-life collections quandaries.  Prior to GWU, I obtained a Master's degree in Library and Information Science, with concentrations in archives and museum informatics, from UCLA.  I dream of going back for a second Master's one day, this time in education or public history.  Still trying to decide :)

I am excited about Museum Junction and the chance to network with my colleagues.  Being the small site that we are, it always helps to see what other museums are doing, and to share ideas.  I'm excited to get to know all of you!

Thanks,
    Rachel

Rachel Barnes
    Education and Volunteer Coordinator
    William S. Hart Ranch & Museum
    Newhall CA

• 31.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 01:11 PM
    Greetings from Pittsburgh, PA. 
    I'm Tracey Berg-Fulton, and I'm the Collections Database Associate at the Carnegie Museum of Art. My job is basically to be a data nerd, assist the database administrator in fixing the quirks that have found their way in to the database, and to help turn blob-shaped provenance data in to beautiful, structured, linked-open-data. My work and my interests sit in that delightfully uncharted territory of collections care and technology. 

My background is as a registrar- I spent several years as a contract registrar, working in the greater Pittsburgh region, before becoming the registrar of the August Wilson Center. I left AWC to stretch my technical brain by working at a software startup as a data manager, before landing in my position here at CMoA. 

I earned my MLitt from the University of Glasgow in Scotland, where I researched tenements and tenement tiling, and I studied at Otterbein College as an undergraduate in photography and journalism. 

To "relax", I run, and I'll be running my tenth marathon in Columbus, Ohio in just under two weeks. Apparently, I never learn my lesson. I also do advocacy work for Type 1 Diabetes (which I've had since the age of 9), primarily in education and working to broaden access to diabetes technology. My spare time is spent photographing with my Holga 120, and hanging out with with my Giant Schnauzer/Labrador mix, Walter, and my husband, Pat. 

I'm always up for a chat on the responsive web, collections databases, the semantic web, linked open data, and the future of the collections care profession, so reach out if you've got questions! 

Cheers,
    Tracey 

Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

• 32.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-07-2014 06:00 PM
    Hello everyone, I'm Ray (that's short for Rachel May) from the Corita Art Center in Los Angeles. Prior to joining the staff here I completed an MA in Arts Policy and Administration at Ohio State and a PhD in Art Education and Public Administration at Univ. of North Texas. I have always been interested in the visual arts and am thrilled to be in one of the biggest creative capitals in the US. The staff of my organization is pretty small so I'm really looking forward to connecting to others working in the museum field. ------------------------------------------- Ray Smith PhD Corita Art Center Los Angeles CA -------------------------------------------

• 33.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-10-2014 10:45 AM
    Hello!
    I'm Julie Carpenter a bit of a jack of all trades museum professional.
    I'm a buckeye by birth but I spent 11 years off and on in DC a bit of time in Hawaii and California in museums and cultural heritage tourism. I'm back in Ohio now doing freelance work for museums and arts organizations.

My degrees are in history - Wittenberg and George Mason universities. And I'm slightly obsessed with the built environment.

I've been working primarily in public relations/community engagement, grant writing, education, and program development but have dabbled in curation and facilities management too.

Glad AAM has put this forum together!

Julie
    T: @strawstickbrick
    FB: Straw, Sticks, & Bricks

• 34.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 10:52 AM
    Hi. Nice to meet everyone. I manage social media for the Wildlife Conservation Society at the Bronx Zoo in NYC. My most recent posts have been with for-profit companies (McGraw-Hill, Gorkana, American Lawyer), but before I moved to NYC in 2005, I worked in the non-profit/education space in San Diego, and I'm happy to be getting back to those roots! Since I'm working in social media, seeing a group like this take off is exciting, and I look forward to reading and joining in on these discussions. Thanks for setting it up! My background is in communications and marketing, but in 2007 I got involved in using social media for work and brought Facebook in to talk with McGraw-Hill about its advertising partnership opportunities. A year later, I worked with a few colleagues to create a Social Media Council, and I've been hooked since. As the assistant director of social media for WCS and its zoos and aquarium, I am working to grow audience reach and engagement and get more staff involved in social media here. I've also taught social media for PR at NYU, and outside of work, you'll find me playing with my 2 year old, Niko, my beagle Astra, and of course going to the zoo... If you have any ideas or questions for me, just reach out. ------------------------------------------- Lisa Jaycox Wildlife Conservation Society NYC -------------------------------------------

• 35.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-09-2014 08:55 AM
    Hi everyone, Nice to meet you all. I'm Deb Van Horn and I'm the Registrar at the Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort, KY. I have been at KHS for over 11 years now working as an Assistant Registrar and then Registrar. Before that I worked at The Museum of Texas Tech University (where I went to grad school), the Lubbock Lake Landmark and the Georgia Museum of Natural History. I'm currently the chair for the Southeastern Registrars Association (www.seregistrars.org <http://www.seregistrars.org>). SERA has a book coming out next year called Basic Condition Reporting that has been taking up a lot of my time lately. When I'm not working on that I can usually be found chasing my kids around different parks, museums, etc. Deb ------------------------------------------- Deborah Rose Van Horn Registrar Kentucky Historical Society Frankfort KY -------------------------------------------

• 36.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 12:51 PM
    Hello, everyone - I'm Michael Holland, principal/owner of Michael Holland Productions, a creative content studio specializing in natural history exhibit features. I've worked in the museum realm for about 25 years. Most of my work involves paleontology exhibits, which places me at an interesting intersection of science and art. Having worked as a staff member of and as a contractor to museums, I've learned a lot about the many challenges and rewards that are part of a living museum. Some career highlights so far include the assembly, reconstruction and mounting of the largest Tyrannosaurus rex skull known to science, reconstruction of the skull of the only confirmed female T. rex, reconstruction of the skull of the holotype (the original specimen for which the genus is named) T. rex, and the creation of an ontogenetic growth series of Triceratops skulls that goes from baby to large adult. Recently, I've begun to diversify into other realms of natural history, and am currently producing a traveling exhibition which so far has managed to not include any dinosaurs (although there are a few paleontological specimens). I find that the community of museum professionals offers an interesting mix of perspectives, abilities, and knowledge, and I enjoy "talking shop" with those who occupy this niche. Whether at our booth at the annual AAM meetings or here online, feel free to stop by and chat! I'd love to meet you. ------------------------------------------- Michael Holland Principal/Owner Michael Holland Productions Bozeman MT -------------------------------------------

• 37.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 02:14 PM
    Hello, I'm Kristie Couser, Curatorial Assistant for the Paul Mellon Collections at the Virginia Museum of Arts, which means that I help research, write about, and discuss with the public the museum's dedicated galleries of nineteenth-century French Art and British Sporting Art. Contributing to museum interpretation, whether more passive (didactics) or platform-giving (gallery discussions) sustains my interest in public service. I have served in education for most of my career, so as I grow into my current role, I am closely considering the ways in which curators and educators complement, bolster, or challenge each other in their pedagogical purposes. Beyond the museum, I'm a curious crafter (finishing my first quilt, then taking up rug hooking), a francophile affected by wanderlust (any fellow "military brats" also find that this field is perfect for us?), an avid letterboxer, and well, I guess my mind doesn't wander too far: I often read museum theory, particularly feminist writing, for the sheer pleasure of thought-play! I'm excited to see how this forum takes shape, I'm so glad it's up and running! See you in the galleries, Kristie ------------------------------------------- Kristie Couser Curatorial Assistant for the Paul Mellon Collections Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Richmond, VA -------------------------------------------

• 38.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 04:14 PM
    Dear Eileen, Thank you for the great idea ! Very interested to see how Museum Junction develops, wonderful way for people in the field to stay connected. Most of my background has been in Children's Museums and Science Centers as a Director of Exhibits, went out on my own in 1999 as Museum Planning, LLC. Launched Museum Planner as an online resource in 2008. Working on a book "Museums 101" to be published by AltaMira, continue to consult on museum "start ups" and teach "User Experience" at IBERO University. All the best, -Mark ------------------------------------------- Museum Planning, LLC Mark Walhimer http://museumplanning.com http://museumplanner.org 415-794-5252 -------------------------------------------

• 39.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 04:14 PM
    Hi everyone! My name is Margaret, and I'm an educator at the Milwaukee Public Museum. I'm fairly new to the museum world; I was a visitor assistant with the MPM before I made the transition to educator (my passion and true calling) about a year ago. I completed my BA in Archaeology at Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, and my MA in European Historical Archaeology at the University of Sheffield, England. While working on my MA I realized I enjoyed working with the artifacts and the history, but especially when I was using those artifacts to tell history to others. I'm excited to share and meet other museum professionals! When I'm not at work I spend time with my 11 year old rescue dog, Mabel. We enjoy watching PBS Masterpiece and Antiques Roadshow together. ------------------------------------------- Margaret James Educator Milwaukee Public Museum Milwaukee WI -------------------------------------------

• 40.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 05:02 PM
    Hello, I am Alan Goldstein, Interpretive Naturalist at the Falls of the Ohio State Park across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY. I have been in this position for 21 years and worked at the science center in Louisville for nearly 8 years before coming to the Falls. I have served as a curator and educator, but in my current position, developed geology programs for school groups (about 300,000 students in the last 20 years), created special public events, manage the Falls of the Ohio Foundation's website (fallsoftheohio.org) and our official state park Facebook page. I also developed (and redeveloped) our volunteer program. As the "designated" rock-ID man - identifying finds that people find, inherit, etc. Folks sometimes drive a hundred miles to get something identified, and I get email inquiries from all over the world. (Go figure...) My interests include fossil & mineral collecting / research, stargazing, writing (career-related, hobby and fiction), reading, gardening, photography, nature-watching, visiting museums, zoos, aquariums & botanical gardens. Sometimes my home and professional life blend together, but always in a positive way. I don't take the burdens of work home! I hope that this forum is useful to a wide variety of peers / professionals. I only hope to be able have the time to use it! ------------------------------------------- Alan Goldstein Interpretive Naturalist Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center Clarksville IN -------------------------------------------

• 41.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-08-2014 05:47 PM
    This is a great idea for all Museum and individual museum professionals to get connected with one goal of moving museum forward.. My name is Abayomi Adeyemi, and I'm an heritage manager. I work hard and very much enjoy my career in Museum as an Heritage Manager.Best job in the world to love; challenging, rewarding, physical, mental. Often long hours and my life and people/hobbies have to be flexible. I live a balanced life.I'm so excited to meet other museum professionals out there and share ideas together.. ------------------------------------------- Abayomi Adeyemi Heritage & site Manager National Commission For Museums and Monuments Nigeria. -------------------------------------------

• 42.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-09-2014 10:19 AM
    I'm Nancy Turner, Director of Community Relations at the Columbus Museum of Art. I should say Ohio because we are often confused with the other Columbus museum in Georgia. The good people of Columbus OH have something of a chip on our shoulders or at least an inferiority complex because even though we are the largest city in Ohio, we still have to follow our city name with our state. Not so in Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Toledo. See what I mean?

I actually moved to Columbus from Toledo about twenty years ago and began working at the Museum about a year later as the Volunteer Coordinator. I have landed in many departments since then including public relations, curatorial, and finally the director's office. In addition to seeking out great partnerships and collaborations for the Museum, I help staff the Board of Trustees and some of the Board committees, lead the government relations effort, and represent the Museum on community projects.

It's been exciting to see the transformation of the Museum since we began our renovation and expansion project. The new wing, the final phase of expansion, opens in about a year. I can't wait!
    Best wishes,
    Nancy

Nancy Turner
    Director of Community Relations
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH

• 43.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-09-2014 10:44 AM
    Hello from NYC!!! I am Tamsen Young, Digital Media and Strategic Initiatives Manager at The Museum at FIT --  a division of SUNY's Fashion Institute of Technology. It's exciting to be part of Museum Junction!!

The Museum at FIT has 30 full-time staff members and we produce four major exhibitions a year. Dance & Fashion and Exposed: A History of Lingerie are currently on view. If you're ever in NYC come visit....we're FREE!!!

Looking forward to conversations about digital projects, social media, and strategic planning for mid-size museums. There's so much to do!!!

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

• 44.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-09-2014 10:44 PM
    I look forward to connecting with other museum professionals through Museum Junction. I have been at Stanford University's Cantor Arts Center for more than a decade. Before that I worked at the San Jose Museum of Art and at Santa Clara University's art museum (all in California). My work has been mostly in public and media relations, communications, also marketing, and even nine years in collections management. I've had a life-long love affair with art and museums since visiting the Chicago Art Institute as a kid. I have been attending AAM's annual meeting for many years. I have even presented a few times. About my museum: Founded in 1891 with Stanford University, the historic museum was expanded and renamed for lead donors in 1999. The Cantor's comprehensive collection spans 5,000 years from ancient China to the 21st century, includes more than 40,000 artworks. With 24 galleries presenting selections from the collection and more than 20 special exhibitions each year, the Cantor serves Stanford's academic community and draws art lovers from the San Francisco Area and beyond. I've also begun teaching art again (outside my regular job), based in part on my experience working for Georgia O'Keeffe, at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico. At home, I am a vermiculturist and a bird watcher when the local hummingbird builds her nest at eye level in my "back patch" where I watch the chicks. ------------------------------------------- Anna Koster Head of Communications Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University Stanford, California Museum's official name listed with AAM: Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University -------------------------------------------

• 45.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-10-2014 12:44 PM
    Hello all!  I'm Kate McNeece and I'm a Facilitator in the Smead Discovery Center of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  The Smead Discovery Center is our hands-on room for kids and families, and I'm one of the designer/fixer/wranglers who works here.  We have a pretty good time down here.

Kathleen McNeece
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH

• 46.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-10-2014 04:42 PM

Hello to all and my apologies for joining this conversation so late!
    My name is Nicholas Griffith, and I'm a Collections Tech with the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.  I work within our Vertebrate Zoology and Invertebrate Zoology departments, with collections preservation and digital outreach.  Before this, I worked as an Aquarist for a marine park on O`ahu, where I handled sharks, stingrays and helped manage a sea turtle breeding colony.  At the moment, my focus is the digitization of natural history, and the many avenues in which born digital content can be utilized.  I've been helping our communications director with natural sciences material for our social media accounts as well, which has been a blast.  It's great to be able to connect with other professionals this way, as those of us at Bishop are very isolated out here in the middle of the Pacific.  I look forward to "meeting" you all and joining in on the discussions!

Nicholas Griffith
    Collections Technician
    Bishop Museum
    Honolulu

• 47.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-11-2014 08:09 AM
    Hello Museum Peeps! I am both the director of the University of Minnesota's Goldstein Museum of Design and head of the UMN museum studies program. I have been with GMD for nearly 10 years and in the "museum biz" since the early 80's - mostly in small to mid-sized museums. Along the way, I had several mentors who encourage me to become involved with museum professional organizations (like AAM!) to continue to learn and meet other museum folks. As a result, I am a big supporter of the (formal and informal) benefits of participating in state, regional, and national museum organizations. On the non-museum side, I ride an off-the-track thoroughbred mare in lower level dressage and play percussion in two community symphonies. ------------------------------------------- Lin Nelson-Mayson Director Goldstein Museum of Design University of Minnesota Saint Paul MN -------------------------------------------

• 48.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-11-2014 01:40 PM
    Dear All, I fell in love with art as an adolescent, then fell out of love once I became a practicing artist and teacher. Later I fell back in love, but with a clearer sense of boundaries. I have been a poet and writer, instructor and artist and now am moving towards being a scholar. For the past seven years I have been working on a PhD concerning how the museum visit is changing. My argument is that the museum experience is being/has been reshaped by particular social forces to make the visit being shaped by curators and museum professionals about allowing the visitor to express and experience her agency. I think the forces that have brought this about are consumerism (based on an ideology of self-improvement and self-realization) and a new and growing reorientation of institutional purpose, towards the visitor, aka the New Museology. This reshaped visit is also affected by changes in the ways museums are funded, (in the UK) an expanding notion of social utility for state funded institutions, and the adoption by these institutions of for-profit business practices such as aggressive marketing. Whereas the visit a generation or two ago was primarily concerned with learning, now it focused on experience--an experience, I argue, of agency. It is not about deeper visitor engagement, though this is a corollary outcome; it is about replacing, to an extent, the curator with visitor as the key arbiter of meaning. I started this research in London and now am based in New York. While working on this research I also work in an art gallery as a Communications Manager, and I write art reviews for Artillery Magazine and Hyperallergic. Glad to be here. Seph ------------------------------------------- Seph Rodney Communications Manager -------------------------------------------

• 49.  RE:Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-12-2014 09:04 AM
    Hi, Your study seems to be right on. I'd love to see how you (if you) tie it up and how we can use this information to take museum's future further. Thank you for this important work. ------------------------------------------- Robyn Einhorn Museum Specialist Baltimore Maryland -------------------------------------------

• 50.  RE:Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-13-2014 09:27 AM
    Seph, You have synthesized the change perfectly. I have seen this change in the way we curate over the last thirty years. The idea does come out of cognitive educational programs, where we know learning through experience has greater potential for long term cognitive applications then being told or reported to. I would be interested in your final dissertation - perhaps present it at an AAM meeting? Regards Jennifer Garey ------------------------------------------- Jennifer Garey President Arts & Antiquitues ArtAntiquities.net -------------------------------------------

• 51.  RE:Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-13-2014 05:45 PM
    I'm Hilde Hein. I think I've gotten into the midst of a conversation and don't know how it began, but am responding to Robyn Einhorn. I recently published a book of essays "Museums and Public Art: A Feminist Vision" (available through Harvard Bookstore) in which I deal with some of these issues, but I think my earlier book "The Museum in Transition" might be more relevant to the paradigm shift that has taken place in museums (from object to experience.) What follows from that is an emphasis on visitor experience rather than "expert" assessment and curatorial responsibility. The past half-century, beginning with science centers and museums has witnessed radical changes in all aspects of what a museum is and does. I think the next phase, already underway, takes the museum into the streets and out of the grand edifice.

• 52.  RE:Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-13-2014 07:33 AM
    Thank you for your work. It sounds like you are hitting the subject right on. I look forward to reading your compilation of ideas and your recommendation for museums and their viewer's future. ------------------------------------------- Robyn Einhorn muse specialist Baltimore Maryland -------------------------------------------

• 53.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-14-2014 07:49 AM
    Greetings from Kuwait and the Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah. I've got a crazy week ahead, with the first Amricani Minis (18 months - 3) today, the first Family Day of the season on Saturday, the launch of the Children's Art Workshop (ages 3.5 - 12) sessions for the season also on Saturday, and new exhibition of 115 objects from The al-Sabah Collection curated by the kids in the Children's Art Workshop last season opening on the 21st. I'm saying this by way of introduction, because right now, this is pretty much me! ------------------------------------------- Susan Day Education and Communications Consultant -------------------------------------------

• 54.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-13-2014 07:33 AM
    Hello everyone! My background is in fine and fashion design but I've slowly made a transition into museum-related work over the past few years. I am passionate about costume history not only from a design perspective, but also from a material culture standpoint. I am the collection manager at the Robert and Penny Fox Historic Costume Collection (FHCC) at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. My position was finally made possible thanks to a very generous grant, and I've joined on to help the curator manage and inventory the 14,000+ object collection. Because the collection is in a renewed growth phase, I wear a lot of hats. But mostly I get to work behind the scenes with the objects! Other interests: reading, cats, feminism, social media (particularly Twitter), vegetarianism, religion, yoga. ------------------------------------------- Monica Stevens Smyth Collection Manager Drexel University -------------------------------------------

• 55.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-13-2014 10:23 AM
    Good day from New York! My name is Anita M, and I am currently holding the position of "collections manager" for an antiques salvage company in New York which led to my decision to venture out into the world of fine art collection management specializing towards private collections rather than institutions. I believe that it is as important to educate private collectors about collection management, as it is to develop/implement a simple collection policy for them to follow. And since my background is in photography and digital design, I am also very interested in digitization of works of art, as well as all aspects of collection management in the digital environment. I'm looking forward to exchange ideas and learn for all of you here at Museum Junction. ------------------------------------------- Anita M | FINEART MC <http://www.fineartmc.com> Private Art Collection Manager New York, NY -------------------------------------------

• 56.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-14-2014 05:50 AM
    Hello from Utah! I am Katie Lee Koven, Executive Director for the Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art (NEHMA) at Utah State University (and a southerner living in the West). I have been in this position since January 2014, but have worked in academic art museum and galleries for over 10 years. Every new position presents new and exciting opportunities and challenges, so I am excited to participate in this forum. Our museum specializes in 20th and 21st century American Art with a collection of approximately 5,100 objects, founded by an intriguing philanthropist and potter, Nora Eccles Harrison Treadwell. We have a small staff with 5 full-time staff, 3 part-time staff, and 10 part-time undergraduate and graduate staff and interns. In my free-time I enjoy taking advantage of the Utah landscape and all that it has to offer, including hiking, skiing, and riding my (Ducati) motorcycle with my husband, artist Mark Lee Koven. Looking forward to connecting through this forum. Thanks, AAM! ------------------------------------------- Katie Lee Koven Executive Director Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art Utah State University Logan UT -------------------------------------------

• 57.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-14-2014 09:36 AM
    Hi from Boston!
    My name is Jessica Pedigo I am currently about half way through my last semester in a Museum Studies Masters Program from Johns Hopkins University. As an emerging professional in the collections management / registrar field I am trying to build my network of contacts and looking forward to getting to know more about museums through this forum. Professionally at this point I am  looking for internships and or volunteer experience that will help update my resume. Unfortunately, I also work full time as a nanny so I am having difficulty finding something that works in my crazy schedule. If you are from the Boston area and know of someone who might be interested please let me know! 

Jessica Pedigo

• 58.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-14-2014 11:19 AM
    Hi Everyone, My name is Edgar "Edge" Quintanilla. I'm really excited to be part of this online community for the Museum world at-large. Can't wait to read about all the phenomenal work everyone is doing. I am a Digital Learning Specialist at The Field Museum in Chicago. I work on the Digital Learning Team where we plan and facilitate programs that make The Field's natural history collections more accessible through the lens of digital media. Right now we are wrapping up a pilot after-school program <http://www.fieldmuseum.org/at-the-field/programs/after-school-programs-electronic-gardens> using the Arduino platform to connect the Museum's Edible Treasures Garden to the Internet of Things. Next week we will be kicking off another after-school program making movies <http://www.fieldmuseum.org/at-the-field/programs/after-school-programs-cultural-moviemaking> that explore cultural appropriation in popular culture. My team is also involved with broadcasting science from the collections into classrooms via our Virtual Visits from The Field <http://www.fieldmuseum.org/educators/virtual-visits> program. Outside of the Museum, I love making music and exploring sonic textures with the band I'm currently playing with. I love playing and admiring vintage guitars, effects pedals, digital audio programs, and anything else that makes noise. ------------------------------------------- Edgar Quintanilla Digital Learning Specialist Field Museum of Natural History Chicago IL -------------------------------------------

• 59.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-15-2014 10:49 AM

Hello from Norfolk! My name is Chris Kolakowski, and since September 2013 I have been the Director of the MacArthur Memorial here in downtown Norfolk. I have spent my life interpreting and preserving American military history with the National Park Service, Civil War Trust, New York State, Kentucky State Parks, and the U.S. Army. From 2009 to 2013 I was the inaugural Director of the General George Patton Museum and Center of Leadership at Fort Knox, Ky. I have published two books on the American Civil War and am working on a study of the 1941-42 Philippine Campaign, due out in 2016. I also regularly contribute to the Emerging Civil War Blog.

When not doing history stuff, I'm usually watching sports (Go Chargers! Go Badgers!) or enjoying time with family and friends.

I helped Beta-test this community, and am looking forward to the discussion and collaboration.
    Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    MacArthur Memorial
    Norfolk VA

• 60.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-16-2014 12:14 PM
    Hello, all!

I oversee publications (exhibition catalogs, collections-based books, and more) at the Denver Art Museum and I also edit all our gallery didactics (panels & labels). On the org chart I'm in the curatorial department, but clearly I play a role in education. I like moving across boundaries and I think that's becoming more and more common as the ways to disseminate content expand and as museums realize what a valuable asset all the content we generate is.

I worked at DAM before in the mid-nineties through 2005 and returned in my current position in 2013. I am a big believer in learning from each other and sharing what we know. I'm looking forward to participating in this online community!

Laura Caruso
    Sr. Editor & Manager of Museum Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 61.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-16-2014 02:47 PM
    Greetings from Seattle!

I couldn't be happier that Museum Junction is finally here! It's so exciting to finally be able to better connect with museum folk out in the world!

I'm Jackie, and though I originally hail from NJ, I have recently become a west coast resident and thus far I'm loving all that Seattle has to offer! I am Exhibit Content Developer and Manager by trade, and recently made the leap to doing this on a freelance basis. I've worked in museums on the fundraising side, as well as for a large exhibit design firm in NY. I don't have a particularly specialty as I've worked on anything from sports halls of fame to aquariums to NPS projects, but I do have an affinity for history museums, historic homes and sites, visitors centers and national parks. I love the industry and hope to continue working on interesting and inspiring projects!

When I'm not crafting stories and exhibits for museum clients, I either in my kitchen cooking or baking up a storm, or on a bike somewhere. I also love good design, traveling, playing board games, and (almost) anything DIY.

Looking forward to connecting to more folks out there!

Jackie Peterson
    Independent Museum and Exhibits Professional
    Seattle, WA

• 62.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-17-2014 12:18 PM
    Hello All,

My name is Misty Flores and I am the Curatorial Assistant for Rienzi, the European decorative arts house museum part of the Museum of Fine Arts. Houston. I graduated from the University of Buckingham and The Wallace Collection with an MA in Decorative Arts and Historic Interiors. My primary research is focused on the material culture of 18th century English silver within the domestic interior as well as interpretation of historic houses and European decorative arts collections. Prior to that I worked for 5 years as a membership associate at the MFAH while working through undergrad., I feel that the experience that I gained in a customer service role will only benefit me as I begin this new phase in my career as it has equipped me with an understanding of visitor engagement issues and concerns.

I am so excited to be able to connect with all of you and learn from valuable insight.

Misty Flores
    Curatorial Assistant, Rienzi
    Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
    Houston TX

• 63.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-17-2014 02:21 PM
    Hello everyone! Very nice to meet you all albeit virtually.

My name is Johanna Goldfeld and I design large and small-scale graphics (signage, object labels, brochures, catalogues, invitations, websites etc.) and exhibitions (gallery plans, object placement, and color schemes) for museums and cultural organizations. I have over 10 years of experience in curatorial, public relations, and design departments and work with a diverse group of institutions including the Forbes Galleries, the Connecticut Historical Society, and the National Archives.

You can view more of my work at www.jgoldfeld-design.com.

I hold an M.A. in Exhibition and Graphic Design from the Fashion Institute of Technology, SUNY and a B.A. in art history from New York University. I began my career on the curatorial side which provided an opportunity for publication in two exhibition catalogues as well as a strong foundation in exhibition development and collections management. A native New Yorker, I live in Brooklyn and work with clients around the country.

I look forward to connecting and learning more via Museum Junction!

Johanna Goldfeld
    Exhibition & Graphic Designer
    Brooklyn NY

• 64.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-17-2014 10:29 PM
    Hello, my name is Rochelle Coslow-Robinson employee of the AACA Museum <aka> Antique Automobile Club of America Museum. Yes, that is a mouthful. My sentence, role, ROLE is the Exhibit Programs Director (bad joke?). The goal of my position is to infuse the existing exhibits with fresh education standards to intrigue minds to understand how the automobile assisted in shaping society. Using all mediums such as art, curiosity, history, science and the ever popular technology. 

Have a healthy balance in both corporate and non-profit that cumulate into nearly two decades of mental and physical experience as it relates to museums and science centers. Enjoy being hands on creating new experiences.

Just finished constructing a 5300sq. foot first phase Tucker automobile exhibit with less than a year to curate and only 3 months to build with volunteers only. The collection was provided by a generous benefactor David S. Cammack who had collected over 250,000 items and 3 Tucker automobiles. 

When not at work, convincing my family to take on an adventure somewhere other than in their rooms with tech...

Look forward to conversing and learning with you all in the Junction.

Cheers!

Rochelle Coslow-Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA

• 65.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-18-2014 01:20 PM

Hello, my name is Ellen Gruber Garvey. I research and write about collections and material culture in the 19th century US, and want to learn more about issues current today in museums. My recent book, Writing with Scissors: American Scrapbooks from the Civil War to the Harlem Renaissance (Oxford UP, 2013) looks at the kinds of scrapbooks thousands of people made, mainly from newspaper clippings, as a kind of democratic archive. They're related to the cabinets of curiosity that are an ancestral root of today's museums.

Scrapbooks are also like the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, or the Barnes Collection, in that the maker/collector placed the objects in them in a fixed arrangement. Of course they're held together with glue, rather than trusts and estate law. (Are there other collections with legal strictures like the Gardner's about moving the objects?) Writing with Scissors has won several awards, including the Society of American Archivists' book award.

Many historic house museums have scrapbooks. If your collection has them, I would love to hear about them, and also would love the chance to help put together an exhibit on them, or come give a program about those in your collections and their relationship to other scrapbooks. I've given talks around the country and abroad on scrapbooks (and on women's bicycling, slave ship stories, 19th century magazines and advertising....)  

I live in Brooklyn, NY and teach at a state college in Jersey City. Most of my students work, so we rarely can manage a class trip, but I love sending them off on their own to museums, with a focused assignment and also instructions to just look around. Many have never before been even to major collections like the Metropolitan Museum of Art, though it's easily reached by public transportation from JC. Their reports back are fascinating.

Ellen Garvey PhD
    Professor
    New Jersey City University Accounts Payable
    Jersey City NJ

• 66.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-19-2014 12:12 PM
    Good Morning from New Orleans!

My name is Erika Witt and I am currently completing my graduate studies at the Southern University at New Orleans in the Museum Studies and Cultural Preservation program with a concentration in African Art history and I hold a Bachelors degree in Museum Studies from Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tennessee.  It has always been my dream to become an Egyptologist but I would also like to be a leading curator in preserving and respectfully interpreting sacred objects in museum collections. I am currently working as a Visitor Services Associate for the Contemporary Arts Center in downtown New Orleans but intend on applying to a great grad program to complete a Ph.D in Art History but I am still undecided if I want to go for African Art history or Egyptology  (I would like to find a way to do both.)

As an emerging professional in the collections management and curatorial studies I am trying to build my network of contacts and looking forward to getting to know more about museums and the wonderful people who protect and serve the public's interest by caring and holding our heritage in trust of the public.  I am seeking advice on ways to achieve my goals and also find internships, employment, and volunteer opportunities to give me a boost closer to my dreams.  I look forward to participating in the discussions with you all in the upcoming days.

All the Best,

Erika

Erika Witt
    Contemporary Arts Center
    New Orleans LA

• 67.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 08:59 AM
    Erika,

One of the best networking ideas is to attend professional conferences and gatherings. Your subject area will find many networking professionals with the Association of African American Museums. Many who have advanced degrees and years of experience working with African Art are members of AAAM. In addition, The International Journal of African Art, published by Hampton University Museum are also members. In addition to my day job I am also president of AAAM, www.blackmuseums.org.

Samuel Black
    Curator of African American Collections
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 68.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 09:08 AM
    Hello - I'm Matt Mayerchak. I've been working for various museums for several years as a sole proprietor of my own company, but just joined the Alliance after attending the National Museum Publishing Seminar in Boston this spring. My specialty is typesetting and other types of production for long print documents. I've worked on a lot of exhibit catalogs for several fine art museums. I sometimes work directly for the museum, and sometimes as a subcontractor to the book designer.

I also typeset wall text and other exhibit materials, and am very interested in finding ways to improve workflows, such as exporting the information that exists in a museum's TMS database into publications and returning the edited content back into the database, via exporting tagged text from InDesign or other means. I'm also interested in improving the use of metadata stored with image files for generating captions in publications, and other workflow improvements.

In general, I am on the lookout for ways to speed up the publication process by letting the computer do those parts of the work that can be automated, and free up the human designers and editors to have more creativity and less drudgery in their work.

I'm based in the Boston area. I have an MA in playwriting, and enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, cross country skiing, kayaking; and playing live music with friends. 

Matthew Mayerchak
    Needham Heights MA

• 69.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 09:49 AM
    Good Morning Everyone!

My name is Ana Woodall and I am an Administrative Assistant for a non-profit organization in Rhode Island. I have a recently moved to Massachusetts from North Carolina where I was a gallery coordinator and operations manager for Haywood County Arts Council. I have earned my Bachelors of Arts from University of North Carolina at Greensboro in Art History and Museum Studies in 2008 as well as my Masters of Arts in Art Museum and Gallery Studies from University of Newcastle in Great Britain in 2010. While looking for opportunities and volunteering at local arts council, I earned my Associates degree in Business Administration from Southwestern Community College. I have been an independent member of AAM since 2011 and a member of New England Museum Association since 2013. 

My interests are 18th and 19th Century women artists as well as how museums and galleries exhibit and work with fakes and forgeries within their collections. I am seeking advice as well in furthering my career in the arts and museum profession and possibly furthering my studies. I look forward to meeting everyone and joining in on discussions!
    Ana Woodall

• 70.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 11:10 AM

Dear Erika,

In response to your recent posting, and considering your interests, you may want to try to get involved with the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization. There may be internship or volunteer opportunities that could be enriching for your studies.

Here are some links for more information:

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/museums/museum-projects/the-national-museum-of-egyptian-civilization/

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=36838&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

https://ar-ar.facebook.com/nmec.gov.eg

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Karalyn Monteil

Ms. Karalyn MONTEIL

UNESCO Culture Sector

World Heritage Centre-Africa Unit

7, place de Fontenoy

75352 Paris 07 SP France

tel +33 (01) 45 68 14 78

e-mail: k.monteil@unesco.org

Visit our website: http://whc.unesco.org

• 71.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 08:58 AM
    Hi, I'm Caroline Goldthorpe, I teach Museum Studies online for the Certificate Program at Northwestern University and for the MA program at the University of Oklahoma. I was a Costume curator for many years, at the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Museum of London and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and I also ran the Willis Museum of Local History in the UK.
    I enjoy bringing my varied experiences to distance learning and being connected with students from all over the world.

Caroline Goldthorpe
    Museum Studies, Northwestern University & The University of Oklahoma

• 72.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 11:10 AM
    Hey, all! I'm Jillian Becquet, and I'm a Collections Manager because at age 16, I was appalled when one of my high school teachers put a moccasin in a shoe box and passed it around our class so we could shake it/otherwise abuse it and "guess what's inside the box." 

I've worked at 3 museums and they've provided me the experience of working at city, state, federal, and a public-private partnership. That diversity of experience has been wonderful, but at the core I've always just had a passion for small/mid sized museums and I enjoy the overall "big picture" of how the museum works--but Collections will always be my "happy place." 

I already recognize some names around Museum Junction from the Johns Hopkins M.A. program--we've had great success with the forum there for networking and problem solving so I hope Museum Junction sees similar success!

Jillian Becquet
    Collections Manager
    Corpus Christi Museum of Science & History
    Corpus Christi TX

• 73.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2014 06:30 PM
    HI, folks! By day, I am the Head (Mad Hatter) of Social Media and Community for a Fortune 50 company and named by The Economist Intelligence Unit as one of the top 25 social business leaders: http://live.wavecast.co/socialbusinessleaders/top-25/. I am based in Boston, Massachusetts and by night, she is an insomniac devouring dystopian fiction. And somewhere in a parallel universe, I found a way to stop time and graduate from Harvard in June 2014 with a Masters of Liberal Arts, Museum Studies. Currently, I assist museums participate in online communities and foster a a data informed mindset. ------------------------------------------- Lauren Vargas Digital and Community Management Strategist -------------------------------------------

• 74.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-21-2014 10:37 AM
    Hi, I'm Stephanie Wood, Director of Guest Services at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
    My primary role here is to lead the team which welcomes and serves about 1.3 million guests each year through functions including ticketing, ushering, school entrance, ticket and program reservations, membership account service, and general phone inquiries. I have been with DMNS for about 20 months now, however I just passed the 20-year mark of working in museums. I'm particularly interested (at the moment) in developing work culture which is focused on the guest and their experience as well as Voice of the Customer programs and how they can be utilized in museums. I've been a presenter at AAM in the Marketplace of Ideas, was the Local Conference Coordinator for the Annual Meeting in Denver in 2008, and was part of the National Program Committee for the 2014 Annual Meeting,

Outside of work, you might find me on my bike or my skis, or in another museum!

Stephanie Wood
    Director of Guest Services
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 75.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-21-2014 01:14 PM
    Hi, I'm Cody Lee, Research Manager at Segerstrom for the Arts.  My background is in art history and museum studies, but I'm currently in a non-museum organization as the development research manager for a multidisciplinary performing arts campus.  Most of my work focuses on individuals, but it's expanding with an eye towards more data and demographics projects.  I previously worked at the Long Beach Museum of Art and the Utah Museum of Fine Arts in development roles including grant writing, individual giving, and membership.  I'm always interested in visual arts and museums, and it's great to make connections and share new perspectives across the arts from my role here.  

Outside of work, my other "jobs" include some artist/gallery projects and an attempt at blogging.  I also love chocolate and yoga - all things in balance!  

Cody Lee
    Research Manager
    Segerstrom Center for the Arts
    Costa Mesa CA

• 76.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-21-2014 04:13 PM
    Hello everyone, 

My name is Laura and I am the Curator of Collections at a Plantation House Museum. The title is a bit of a misnomer, because most of my time is spent addressing and assisting in reshaping our site's narratives and the visitor experience, rather than caring for individual objects. It's challenging and rewarding and frustrating and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

In my off time I satiate my curator's hunter/gatherer/hoarder tendencies by collecting photography and try my best to grow an english rose garden in the South. (We won't discuss the death toll. Lets just say I keep rose farmers in business.)

Laura Kilcer VanHuss
    Curator of Collections
    Oak Alley Plantation LA

• 77.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-22-2014 09:12 AM
    My name is Jesse Gagnon. I graduated in 2012 with a Master's degree from the University of Delaware and am currently what you would call an emerging museum professional. As a life-long lover of history, I am always trying to find the stories that make the past relevant to today, whether I am working with adults or a room full of three-year-olds. I am particularly interested in digital collections and how technology can be used as a tool to facilitate access to information and its preservation, and as an outreach tool for the community.

Currently, I am the Director of Education for the Marshall Steam Museum, operated by the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve. I can honestly say that I love my job even if it continues to kick my butt on a regular basis. The museum profession as a whole is also very important to me. I have been involved as a volunteer since high school and today serve as the volunteer Membership Coordinator and Conference Registrar for the Small Museum Association

Some of my other interests include rock climbing, cooking, traveling, photography, and writing. I enjoy learning new things all the time. 

I love making new connections, and you can find me on LinkedIn and Twitter. Looking forward to connecting with you!

Jesse Gagnon
    Director of Education
    Marshall Steam Museum at Auburn Heights Preserve
    Yorklyn DE

• 78.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-24-2014 05:48 PM
    Hello. My name is Shawn Mummert. I am the Informatics Champion at Cincinnati Museum Center and National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, where my team has broad responsibility for technology. We are responsible for network administration, help desk, ticketing systems, donor management systems, collections systems, web sites, social media and project management. I have been at Cincinnati Museum Center for four years after a varied career in for-profit and non-profit. I got my start in technology in telecommunications consulting. When I'm not at my office in beautiful Cincinnati Union Terminal, I'm out in Cincinnati's newly revitalized neighborhoods and going to plays. I've greatly appreciated AAM as an organization, and I attend AAM Annual Meeting yearly, as well as the Museum Computer Network conference. I'm pleased to be a part of this new forum. ------------------------------------------- Shawn Mummert Informatics Champion Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal Cincinnati OH -------------------------------------------

• 79.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-27-2014 10:55 AM
    Hi,

I'm an independent museum consultant, helping museums and others create meaningful experiences and museums. In the past I've had the privilege to work on a number of new museum building projects and exhibitions: the National Hellenic Museum in Chicago's Greektown, the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Skokie, IL and the Geneva History Center in Geneva, IL.

Now, as a consultant I have the opportunity to work on an even greater variety of projects, but I don't necessarily have a direct connection to museum colleagues all the time. I'm grateful for a network like this where I can meet others and stay more connected to the museum world.

I look forward to meeting you and hearing about your work.

Bethany

---------------------------------------------------
    Bethany Fleming
    Principal, Fleming Museum Consulting
    Greater Chicago Area, IL
    ---------------------------------------------------

• 80.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-27-2014 02:32 PM
    This is a great new service.

I've been the director of communications at the Honolulu Museum of Art for seven years, overseeing publicity, marketing, branding, publications, social media, website, and museum signage.

One of my biggest challenges is addressing two audiences-our local island residents and tourists who are here for sun and fun. Rainy days are the museum's friend.

Look forward to sharing mana'o (knowledge) with my peers across the country.

aloha
    Lesa

Lesa Griffith
    Director of Communications
    Honolulu Museum of Art
    Honolulu HI

• 81.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-28-2014 09:42 AM
    Hello, I just moved to Northern Quebec to work in an amazing Cree cultural institution where I supervise the library, archives, museum and exhibitions. My last positions were in Miami Beach and Doha, Qatar, so this is a big change in some ways !!

I am curious about the difference between this email group and Museums-L, but it seems like an excellent opportunity for communication between museum professionals which is always a good thing!

Best wishes 
    Laura

Laura Phillips
    Coordinator of Collections and Exhibitions
    Ouje Bougoumou QC

• 82.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-28-2014 01:45 PM
    Hi!
    I'm the Graphic Designer at the Oakland Museum of California. I've been here for over three years, working on exhibition graphic design, institutional collateral and support, marketing and advertising campaigns, and exhibition development. The latter has been almost a crash course in museum studies-and luckily, the collaborative environment at OMCA invited me into the process. I'm a fan of working with the curators and experience developers to discern what can be shown or experienced instead of or to support what is being told in text. It satisfies my need to problem-solve! I really appreciate having a seat at the table and being able to prove the power of design. Our museum has floors dedicated to California's art, history, and natural sciences, so there is a lot of variety. I tend to focus on art, as that is my primary interest, though I have also had great fun with contemporary history co-curations with university students.

I read so many novels in my downtime... and explore all the fancy cocktails.

Amanda Boesen
    Graphic Designer
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 83.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-28-2014 08:03 PM
    Aloha from Hawaii!  It's nice to meet you all.  My name is Barron.  I am Associate General Counsel for Bishop Museum and Vice Chair of the American Bar Association's Museums & the Arts Law Committee.  I especially enjoy intellectual property issues pertinent to museums (such as orphan works and copyright licensing) and matters relating to antiquity, especially provenance.  I absolutely love the field of museology!  I got my start in museums through an internship at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History some years ago.

I enjoy running (I'm currently training for a marathon), cooking, writing, and restoring old cars :)  I look forward to getting to know everyone here on the Junction!

Barron Oda Esq.
    Associate General Counsel
    Bishop Museum
    Honolulu HI

• 84.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-29-2014 10:37 AM

Hi Barron!

Just wanted to say hello!!  Glad you have kept the passion for museums and law!!

Best from the Smithsonian's Office of Fellowships and Internships!

Pam

Pamela Hudson Veenbaas| Program Manager
    Office of Fellowships & Internships
    |Smithsonian Institution
    T 202-633-7058 | F 202-633-7069 | Email veenbaasp@si.edu

• 85.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-29-2014 07:32 AM
    Greetings, all - my name is Kevin, and I'm the curator at a small maritime history museum in Newburyport, Massachusetts.  We're located in a beautiful setting, along the Merrimack River about 2.5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, and we're housed within our largest artifact: the 1835 Custom House, designed and built by Robert Mills.  As curator, I believe my role is to help construct narratives around objects, supported by research, technology, institutional expertise, and active communication with visitors and others.

Like everyone except our Executive Director, I'm also a volunteer at the museum - in my "other life" I work for one of the world's largest technology companies, so the museum provides an outlet for my passion for history, and for hearing and telling a good story.  I look forward to getting to know you all here.

Kevin MacDonald
    Curator
    Newburyport Maritime Society, Inc.
    Newburyport MA

• 86.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-29-2014 02:40 PM
    Hey everyone!

My name is Chesley Peabody. I am currently a second year Graduate Assistant at the National Music Museum in Vermillion, SD. I have been in the museum field for about five years now, beginning at a small, local history museum in my hometown in NC. My background in book and paper conservation, as well as music, has lead me to my master's thesis, entitled The Use of Paper in Musical Instruments. I will graduate in May 2015 and hopefully find a permanent job as a curator.

I love books! In my free time (is that a real thing?!) I read and repair books. There is always value in a book, even if it is crumbling to dust, and it is my mission to help this technologically inclined world see that too.

Greetings!

Chesley

Chesley Peabody
    National Music Museum
    Vermillion SD

• 87.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-05-2014 02:01 PM
    Ciao Amici,

I'm Melissa Marinaro, curator of the Italian American Program at the Senator John Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh. I oversee the museum's Italian American artifact and archival collection, one of the largest repositories of material culture related to Italian Americans in the United States, and manage the program's community outreach and public programming. Our mission is to document, preserve, and interpret the history and culture of Italian Americans in Western Pennsylvania through exhibitions, educational programs, publications, and outreach. 

I wear many hats in my position, which keeps me both busy and interested. I enjoy being able to interface with different departments within my institution and collaborate with a variety of community partners in my region. I look forward to connecting with colleagues nationally via Museum Junction and I am excited to share the good work we do at the History Center, as well as hear about the projects each of you are working on in your organizations. 

Distinti saluti,

Melissa

Melissa Marinaro
    Curator, Italian American Program
    Senator John Heinz History Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 88.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-13-2014 03:03 PM
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Eli Sterngass and I am a Junior in the Museum Studies Program with an Anthropology major at the University of Michigan. At the moment, I am working as the Museum Assistant in the Sindecuse Museum of Dentistry. In the past, I have worked at the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology and the Museum of Anthropological Archaeology on campus. Although most of my work experience has related to Collections Management in history museums, I am eager to gain experience with curatorial and developmental duties in art museums. I am also interested in who attends museums and the experience they take away from visiting. That's about it for now and I am excited about the idea of getting to know all of you better!

Eli Sterngass
    Ann Arbor MI

• 89.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-14-2014 09:32 AM
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Joe Cialdella and I manage the new Heritage Grants initiative at the Michigan Humanities Council (funded through the Kellogg Foundation). The program will assist museums and other cultural organizations in the state create exhibits, public programs,  histories, and other humanities content related to race, ethnicity, and cultural identity.  In addition, I'm in the final stages of finishing a PhD in the Department of American Culture at the University of Michigan, where I also completed the graduate program in Museum Studies.  During graduate school I worked on exhibits and projects  at a range of museums such as the Smithsonian, Detroit Institute of Arts, Matthaei Botanical Gardens, the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, and historic sites such as Cliveden in Philadelphia. Looking forward to joining the discussion and connecting with others.

Joe

Joe Cialdella
    Program Officer
    Michigan Humanities Council
    Lansing MI

• 90.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-30-2014 01:54 PM
    Greetings from Milwaukee,

I am in the process of transitioning to a new and unique role at the Milwaukee Public Museum as the Strategic Planning Project Manager. I will be responsible for the 
    execution and management of a systematic and comprehensive community-oriented strategic planning process launching in 2015.

For the past three years, I served as MPM's Director of Major and Planned Giving. Prior to entering the museum world, I earned my MBA from the Bolz Center for Arts Administration at UW-Madison in 2011. My professional experience within the cultural sector has included positions in fundraising, marketing and communications for the Chicago Humanities Festival, Next Act Theater (Milwaukee, WI), University Theater (Madison, WI), and the Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission (Madison, WI). 

My time outside of work is consumed with chasing after my 8-month old daughter, two dogs, and one pesky cat. I have an endless appetite for programming from PBS, BBC, and NPR. I am passionate about culture (local and global), education, history, storytelling, civil discourse, vibrant and evolving communities, mental health awareness, animal welfare, natural preservation, and the arts. I am currently listening to the podcast Serial (fantastic), reading The Killer Next Door (so-so), and watching BBC's The Game and FX's The Americans (on KGB spy kick!).

Seeking Museum Connections!

- Museum professionals with strategic planning experience

- Wisconsin-based Emerging Museum Professionals interested in launching a state-wide EMP chapter

Happy holidays!

Kelly
    gauthier@mpm.edu

Kelly Gauthier
    Strategic Planning Project Manager
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 91.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-09-2014 11:00 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Ian and I am a passionate educator.  I have always loved learning and teaching through informal education.  I have worked six years as an interpreter for National Historic sites in Manitoba and Wapusk National Park in Churchill.  After completing my Bachelor of Education in 2012 I worked at an NGO focusing on teaching high school students about human rights.  I now work in my dream position as a museum educator teaching students about human rights.  I am passionate about youth leadership development and look forward to a long career in museum education. 

In my spare time I love to play hockey, golf, drink coffees and teas and traveling.  I also do medieval recreation with the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Ian Martens
    Senior Program Interpreter
    Canadian Museum for Human Rights

• 92.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-10-2014 11:48 AM
    Hello,

My name is Betsy Diamant-Cohen. I was trained as a children's librarian and have a doctorate in Communications Design. I lived in Jerusalem, Israel for several years and was the English Language librarian in the Youth Wing of the Israel Museum. Our library had picture books in alphabetical order on the shelves by illustrator, not by authors, since our focus was on the artwork.  One of my responsibilities was presenting preschool storytime in order to introduce our visitors to various types of illustration and illustrators.

I developed a program for parents with children from birth to age three called "Mother Goose on the Loose" and brought it with me when I moved back to the US in 1998. I became the manager of the public library branch that was opening up inside of Port Discovery Children's Museum and offered Mother Goose on the Loose programs. They became so popular that I began training other librarians around the state. An article in a professional journal brought requests for trainings from libraries around the county. Mother Goose on the Loose won an award and I did too.

After becoming busier and busier with Mother Goose on the Loose, I left full time work at the public library for part-time work at Port Discovery and incorporated Mother Goose on the Loose, LLC. Recently, I went full-time with Mother Goose on the Loose, but I am still working on projects with Port Discovery.

I love writing articles and books, and training people to be the best they can be when working with young children. The mission of children's museums and children's librarianship  both involve informal learning in a playful atmosphere so I feel equally at home in both worlds. If you're interested in finding out more about Mother Goose on the Loose, check out my website at www.mgol.net

Betsy

Betsy Diamant-Cohen PhD
    Special Projects
    Port Discovery Children's Museum
    Baltimore, MD
    bcohen@portdiscovery.org
    443-928-3915

• 93.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-11-2014 11:32 AM
    Hello everyone.  My name is Dana Hicks and I am the Curator for a small, City run, museum in Arcadia, California, just across the street from Santa Anita Park.  Our museum is a community oriented museum and focuses on local history, art and culture.  We actively collect all local history artifacts, archival materials and photographs, offer permanent and temporary exhibits and have a wide array of programming for all ages.  We also enjoy the support of the community through our volunteer programs, which include a Friends of the Museum, a Museum Foundation and a Commission that is chosen by the City Council.  We are a staff of 1 and 3/4 (the Curator and the Education Coordinator).  Our Director is also the Director of the City's Library and is housed over at the Library.  We had a ribbon cutting ceremony last June for a new Museum Education Center and we are enjoying a lively evolution of our Museum as the years go by.I am always looking to keep our Museum fresh and changing. 

I enjoy reading these threads, attending webinars, workshops and conferences and listening to everyone in our field as we collectively, constantly create our Museum world.  I look forward to adding to the discussions and listening to all of you.

Dana Hicks PhD
    Curator
    The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage
    Arcadia CA

• 94.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 04-23-2015 10:41 AM

Hello.

My name is Tasso. I'm the Design Manager in the Marketing Department at the Denver Art Museum. I'm new to the museum world and AAM. I come from the commercial world of design and advertising agencies, so non-profit and altruism are new things to me-but I should add very welcome!

The conference hasn't started yet and I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed, however I'm looking forward to connecting with graphic designers and marketing-PRAM-folks and learning as much as I can. My mantra for the conference is "be a sponge"! Happy conference everyone!

Cheers,
    -Tasso

Tasso Stathopulos
    Design Manager
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 95.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 04-23-2015 01:32 PM

Greetings fellow AAMers! My name is Mary Hauser, and I am the Registrar at the Gregg Museum of Art & Design at NC State University in Raleigh, NC. I'm excited to be attending myfirst AAM! While I have been to several regional and state museum conferences, I look forward to experiencing the national conference and networking with colleagues from around the country. 

I am a native North Carolinian, and I love my state and my city. Feel free to ask me about them! My background is in textiles, and I am an avid stitcher. I'm also a little obsessed with bugs, so IPM discussions are welcome.

Look forward to meeting you all soon!

Mary Hauser
    Registrar
    Gregg Museum of Art & Design North Carolina State University
    Raleigh NC

• 96.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 04-27-2015 09:33 AM

Greetings from sunny Tampa, Florida! I'll be hopping on a plane shortly and landing in Atlanta later this afternoon for the big AAM Conference. I was only able to sign up for Tuesday's events, but I'm hoping to make the most of my visit. Can't wait to meet colleagues from around the country (and world, evidently!), and I'm particularly interested in Museum issues related to Membership and Visitor Services.

Hope to meet you soon!

Jeff Stewart
    Membership Manager
    Tampa FL

• 97.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 04-28-2015 08:37 AM

Hello from upstate NY!

My name is Sarah Jastremski and I am the Chartering Coordinator for the New York State Education Department. I get to help museums, and historical societies gain their incorporation status. I never thought I would be doing such a job but it is great that I get to help so many museums and the best part is that I also get to visit so many different museums. :-)

I recently received a Masters in Public Administration with a focus on Policy Analysis and  Evaluation with the hopes of one day helping museums on a larger scale by lobbying for them and maybe to help create legislation that will help with their survival.

When I am not working, I love to read and spending time with my dog Watson.

Thank you Eileen for creating this Discussion and it is nice meeting all of you!

Sarah Jastremski
    Charting Coordinator
    New York State Education Department
    Albany NY

• 98.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 05-08-2015 10:05 AM

Hello from ShipMYArt.com ,  aka Berklay Cargo, and great meeting so many of you in Atlanta earlier this month!

Our family business is dedicated to the domestic and international shipment of art,  exhibits,  exhibitions... and motorcycles! (Thank you, Guggenheim Museum, 1999).  

We're NY'ers,   with degrees from Columbia U,  American U,  and Hofstra U.,   and we're represented in every major city

(and some minor ones!) worldwide.

Standing ready to serve you!

Dennis Klainberg
    President
    Berklay Cargo Services
    Great Neck NY

• 99.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 05-27-2015 11:47 AM

My name is Eric Morse and I have just graduated with a Master of Arts in Museum Studies from Johns Hopkins University and am looking for a position in a museum.  I am an award-winning communications professional with 13 years of experience in that field.  I am transitioning to a career in museums and am seeking to create mission-driven, engaging, and innovative visitor programs and experiences and share my passion for diversifying audiences and creating deep and lasting community relationships. 

I have demonstrable expertise in communicating complex information to diverse audiences in many types of media; the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and budgets; and am a team manager able to inspire others to deliver high-quality products.

I invite you to check out my museum blog, MuseumUtopia, at http://MuseumUtopia.wordpress.com or connect with me on Twitter (@MuseumUtopia).

Eric Morse

• 100.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 05-28-2015 06:47 PM

Hello all,

My name is Isabelle Kargon.  A former dentist in my two first countries of residence (France, then Israel), I completed my Master of Art's degree in Museum Studies at Johns Hopkins University in December 2014 and graduated in May 2015.

I have been working full-time since 2006 as a library assistant in the cataloging department of the Eisenhower Library at Johns Hopkins University, where I catalog rare pre-1801 books, Hebrew and Yiddish materials, and maps of Baltimore and Maryland; I also work on the World Copyright Review Management System of U. of Michigan as part of its IMLS grant with HathiTrust to review the copyright status of digitized books.

Now that I have my degree I hope to find a suitable position in the museum field. My main interests include collections,  curatorial work  and exhibitions.

During my leisure time I enjoy books, music, museums (of course!), and long walks. I also like to chat with friends around good food and to travel with my family (a husband and two sons).

I am looking forward to this forum.

Isabelle Kargon
    Baltimore MD

• 101.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 06-04-2015 04:31 PM

Hello everyone, I am Sarah Arntz and I am a Program Specialist at the Nashville Public Library. I co-manage a small, rare book collection here at the Library and assist in curating the Library's art galleries. I also just finished my Master's Degree in Museum Studies at the University of Oklahoma. Glad to meet everyone and am looking forward to learning more about museum work as time goes on. There's still so much I have to learn. 

Sarah Arntz
    Program Specialist
    Nashville TN

• 102.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 06-05-2015 12:04 PM

Hi, I’m Greg Dobie.

Not long after graduating from the University of Tennessee, I was visiting the National Museum of American Art (now the Smithsonian American Art Museum) in Washington, D.C. I was looking intently at a painting when the silence of the gallery was broken by a woman in high heels walking across the hardwood floor. She opened a door that was on one side of the gallery and disappeared inside. I remember being struck at that moment by the realization that she worked in the museum, that there were jobs in museums! And from that naive beginning, my museum career began.

My first museum job was as an editor at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). From that starting point I became a freelance editor, completing projects for a number of institutions (LACMA, the J. Paul Getty Museum, the UCLA Fowler Museum, the San Antonio Museum of Art, etc.). Because I also work as an adult ESL instructor, I decided to explore museum education as well, completing graduate internships at the San Antonio Museum of Art and the J. Paul Getty Museum and consulting on a number of educational curricula for teachers and students.

I continue to seek projects and positions that open museums to a multicultural audience, that extend museums into classrooms, that make museum collections available to the broader community through a variety of methods. And like Mr. Bernstein in Citizen Kane, “I’ll bet a month hasn’t gone by since that I haven’t thought of that girl,” the anonymous woman who opened a door in a gallery and opened my career in museums.

Gregory Dobie
    Editor/Educator/Writer
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 103.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 06-17-2015 01:25 PM

Hello,

My name is Amanda Crossan and I am a student at Oglethorpe University. We don't have Museum Studies majors in the schools here so I had to create one myself by combining art history and archaeology classes. The curator of our art museum is working on making a Museum Studies and Non-Profit management certificate and is using my major as a basis, so I suppose that means I did a decent job of putting it together.  I'm a senior and have been trying to figure out what to do once I graduate. As a first generation college student it can be a bit frightening not knowing what you're supposed to do once out in the real world with a degree and nobody to help you. I hope that I can find some help and guidance from the museum professionals here. 

• 104.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-14-2015 09:33 PM

Hello! My name is Cinnamon Catlin-Legutko and I'm the president/ceo of the Abbe Museum in Bar Harbor, Maine. I also serve as a member of the AAM board. 

Cinnamon Catlin-Legutko
    President & CEO
    Abbe Museum
    Bar Harbor ME

• 105.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-15-2015 11:54 AM

Hi folks,

Katie Boardman here.  I teach in the Cooperstown Graduate Program in Museum Studies and I am an independent museum professional with a small group of colleagues in The Cherry Valley Group.  I am also a musician and storyteller. I enjoy interpreting historical music and stories at different 18th and 19th century sites, historic houses and museums.

I worked at The Farmers' Museum, Cooperstown, NY for 20 years- first as Associate Curator, then as Associate Director for Research and Interpretation.  I've been quite active in the Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums for many years. I currently edit the organization's quarterly journal, The Bulletin, and the monthly eUpdate digital newsletter.

I am quite interested in indoor and outdoor museums and sites, interpretation, programing for/with people with various abilities and disabilities and crossovers between natural sites, history, art and performing arts. I am quite excited about my upcoming VTS training.

Greetings to all.

Kathryn Boardman
    Principal The Cherry Valley Group
    Professor, Cooperstown Graduate Program
    Cooperstown NY

• 106.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-16-2015 08:28 AM

Hi, I'm Elspeth Inglis, assistant director for education at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum (yes, there really is a Kalamazoo, now voted #3 best city in the US for creative people). I've been here 23 years, having grown up on the east coast.  I cut my "museum teeth" on the Smithsonian museums as a kid and launched my life-long love of and career in museums when, at age 17, I had the opportunity to be a volunteer tour guide at the (then) Museum of History and Technology.   I moved to Kalamazoo to be part of a redesign of the KVM, fell in love with the museum's exhibits manager and married him.  As it turned out, is father (Joe Bonsignore, recently passed away) was the first and long-time publisher of the Smithsonian Magazine!  Small and wonderful world, this museum one....

Elspeth Inglis
    Assistant Director for Educational Services
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

• 107.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-17-2015 10:46 AM

Hello!  I'm Tom Hendershot from Antiquities Company in Rockford, Michigan.  We build traveling museum exhibits and individual display componets related to natural history.  For example, we created an exhibit about the Ice Age ('Ice Age Imperials') for natural history museums and are now completing an exhibit titled 'Amazing Dinosaurs!' for science centers and discovery centers.  

We focus on engaging visitors through exploration and discovery, including the chance to touch as many genuine fossils or other artifacts as possible.  While our approach is sometimes controversial, we believe the ability to touch something 'real' helps create excitement about learning.   

I read the Forum daily and have learned a lot from the wide variety of questions and comments.  Many thanks to Eileen for getting the Forum started!  

Best regards to all,

Tom

Thomas Hendershot
    Rockford MI

• 108.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-22-2015 03:25 PM

Hello,

i am a Registrar/Archivist working in Baltimore.  i am really enjoying the museum junction and its many informative threads.

Linda Nelson
    Registrar
    Maryland Science Center
    Baltimore MD

• 109.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 07-30-2015 12:04 PM

Jessica Strom
    Briscoe Western Art Museum
    Boerne TX

Hello everyone,

My name is Jessica Strom. I am currently working at the beautiful Briscoe Western Art Museum in downtown San Antonio in the Visitor Services department. I have an AA and BA in History and am going to be starting a master's program in the fall. I have previously done a very hands on internship at the Holocaust Memorial Museum of San Antonio while earning my BA. 

When I am not working I enjoy going out with my dogs, and exploring other parts of the San Antonio and its surrounding areas; particularly new restaurants as I am a bit of a foodie.

I am looking forward to reading a little more about all of you!

Best, 

-Jessica Strom 

• 110.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-17-2015 10:09 AM

Hello from the Field Museum in Chicago

I get the honor of being a studio artist at the museum.  We build exhibit after exhibit, so I am often called upon to make a replication, paint a mural, sculpt a thing, of make a diorama. I never knwo what info-packet will come through the door, but I am prepared to make anything.

This Fall we are building a long-forgotten Diorama  ---   Not just any Diorama, but a Carl Akeley taxidermied spotted Hyena diorama-  How cool is that?!

Aaron Delehanty
    Exhibition Preparator I
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Chicago IL

• 111.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-21-2015 02:30 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the forum. I work at Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, DC. Exciting things are happening here as we gear up to mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death next year in 2016.

I'm excited to get to know everyone and learn from such amazing colleagues. Right now, I'm working on expanding our programs for children and families and welcome any advice or recommendations of "must see" and "must experience" sites.

If you are in DC, be sure to stop by and see how things were done 400 years ago.

Carol Ann Lloyd-Stanger
    Manager, Visitor Education Programs
    Folger Shakespeare Library
    Washington DC

• 112.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-26-2015 09:07 AM

Hello! My name is Hadley Sibon, and I'm currently the Curatorial Assistant at the Aurora Regional Fire Museum in Aurora, IL. I'm responsible for re-organizing collections storage, getting an official inventory underway, and training volunteers to help with collections management, as well as designing and mounting an exhibit about the history of Aurora firefighters from 1950-present. I look forward to interacting with you all!

Hadley Sibon
    Aurora IL

• 113.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-26-2015 11:40 AM

Hello! I am a new member of the Center for the Future of Museums team at AAM. I'm addressing issues of labor and economic justice in the museum field as part of a two-year fellowship sponsored by the American Council of Learned Societies. Here's a link to an introductory post on the CFM blog that gives more details about my work: Center for the Future of Museums: Notes from the Team: An Introduction, or Why Predict the Future, Anyway?

Futureofmuseums remove preview
    Center for the Future of Museums: Notes from the Team: An Introduction, or Why Predict the Future, Anyway?
    I am so pleased to introduce a new member of the CFM team-Nicole Ivy will be working with me for the next two years, supported by a fellowship from the American Council of Learned Societies. I invited Nicole to introduce herself today-you will be learning more about her, and her work, via the blog in coming months.
    View this on Futureofmuseums >

I'm new to AAM, but not to the museum field, having worked in the curatorial department of the African American Museum in Philadelphia. I'm excited to join the conversations and am happy to be a resource when I can!

In my spare time, I like to write things, read things slowly, and line dance.

In solidarity,

Nicole

Nicole Ivy
    Museum Futurist
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

• 114.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-27-2015 08:15 AM
    Edited by Alena Renner 08-27-2015 08:21 AM

Hello there!  I am Alena Cieszko, a Museum Technician and a recent masters graduate from Western Kentucky University.  I was a part of their Folk Studies program, which has a Historic Preservation track.  I used electives and internships to transform that into more of a Museum Studies specialization.  I have had the privilege of being Graduate Assistant to the Kentucky Museum's Collections Curator for two years.  I now have a summer and fall internship with the Bureau of Indian Affairs's Museums Program in Washington DC.  For them, I do cataloging and artifact rehousing.  In my off time I collect and repair vintage textiles for use in a local vaudeville troupe, and read voraciously.

Nice to meet you here, and I look forward to meeting many of you at the 2016 AAM conference here in DC!

Alena Cieszko
    Collections Intern
    Bureau of Indian Affairs
    Reston VA

• 115.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 08-28-2015 06:19 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am really excited to be part of this. I am at the Museum Store at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, as a Research Assistant. I enjoy making and looking at art, have taught art at various levels including the college level. This is my first semester without a class! I have been at the museum for just over seven years. Glad to meet you all.

Thanks!

Kory

Kory Twaddle
    Research Assistant
    The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    Kansas City MO

• 116.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 09-30-2015 11:10 AM

Hi everyone,

Glad to be part of what looks to be a very dynamic forum, I'm already getting good info and advice as a new member.

I am a first year student at JHU's Museum Studies program, and my goals after graduation are to relocate overseas to London and work in the museum field, with a current focus on exhibition-related roles. (but I am keeping my work options open for other opportunities as my knowledge base continues to grow)

This is a second career for me, after 25 years as a professional interior designer.  I owned my own business for 8 of those years, until the recession forced me to close and shift gears.  My husband and I began traveling the world and I began museum volunteering. This sparked my interest in museum studies, which brought me where I am today.

I am an active volunteer in the Dallas Arts District, and I've just begun year-long docent training at the Dallas Museum of Art.

When I'm not studying or volunteering, I enjoy cooking, traveling, competitive billiards, board games, and spending time with my three grown children.  

Looking forward to learning and contributing to the forum, and I hope to meet many of you at the AAM Conference next spring!

Cheers!

Virginia Kurrus
    Student
    Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs
    Washington DC

• 117.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 09-30-2015 01:17 PM

Hello All,

I am currently the archivist for the Murie Family Collection at The Murie Center in Moose, Wyoming. I have been in this position since May 2015. Before that, I worked for Grand Teton National Park's Archive and Museum. I am also a recent graduate from Eastern Illinois University's Historical Administration Masters Program. Previous experience includes: Yosemite National Park's Archive and Museum, Rocky Mountain National Park, National Archives and Records Administration (College Park, Maryland), and the Catalina Island Museum. 

All the best,

Desiree Ramirez
    Archivist, The Murie Center
    Moose WY

• 118.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-01-2015 07:42 AM

My name is Sharon Bell. I am, as a volunteer, the curator of the Kent-Delord House Museum in Plattsburgh, NY. We are a small historic house museum centered around three generations of the family that lived in the house. We call them the original hoarders because they saved everything. 
    I have taken several collection care workshops and seminars, and use the AAM resources frequently. My passions are living history and genealogy..this weekend will find me, dressed in 1770's style, in Schoharie NY reenacting a battle that 4 of my ancestors participated in.
    Sharon Bell
    Kent-Delord House Museum
    Plattsburgh NY

• 119.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-20-2015 11:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm Lindsay Huban.  I've been working in museums/historic sites for about 10 years doing a little bit of everything.  I currently manage a volunteer program and handle all marketing/PR and social media for the Henry B. Plant Museum in Tampa, FL.  In the past I ran a museum store and cafe, answered research requests, assisted with exhibit design/install, and worked as an adjunct professor.  I've worked in an office building/national historic landmark (interesting challenges there for sure!), a children's museum, and now a history museum.

I've already found some great resources in this forum and look forward to more going forward!

Lindsay Huban
    Museum Relations Coordinator
    Henry B. Plant Museum
    Tampa FL

• 120.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-01-2015 12:33 PM

Is the tea assisting with your recovery? There may be ointments too.   Best regards......(respectfully teasing)

Kurt Sigmund
    Museum Associate
    St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum
    St. Johns FL

• 121.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-11-2015 11:29 PM

Hi all!

My name is Rhiannon and I'm a museum professional that has seemed to taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque (technically North Carolina, but whose really paying attention to the map).  I have about eight years experience in the field, focusing on small museums and historic sites.  They have become my passion and I expect small museums to remain my focus until I die or they all close up due to poor funding, which ever comes first.

Currently I am pursing my master's while continuing my long (long, long) job search and I'm itching being so separate from the field and people who think museums are amazing and worthy and important as I do.

Rhiannon Cizon
    Graduate Student - Valparaiso University

• 122.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-14-2015 01:50 PM
    Hi, My name is Richard Bent and I have been working in the Marketing Communications/displays field for several years. About half that time, I managed my company's exhibit program as well as producing internal lobby displays and corporate museums. I am particularly interested in museum design, lighting and interactive technology(smoke and mirrors). I would like to take some online museum courses possibly leading to an advance degree? I am located in Southern California about half-way between Los Angeles and San Diego.

• 123.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-23-2015 11:16 AM

Good morning all,

I am a new member of the AAM, and hope to get to know quite a bit of your members. I work at Enhance a Colour in Danbury, Conn. We design, manufacture and install many types of visual and graphic solutions. My main focus as a visual development specialist is to work with the many historical societies and museums throughout the United States. As an avid museum visitor, I am thrilled to offer the many products that we have to such a great industry. You can see the type of things we do at: Fabric Banners, Printed Carpet, Theater Backdrops

Eacgs remove preview
    Fabric Banners, Printed Carpet, Theater Backdrops
    Enhance a Colour (EaC) worked with Geoff Howell Studio of LIC, NY, to create holiday displays for Malo, an upper Madison Avenue retailer. We mounted both, metallic and bright color pressure sensitive adhesive vinyl to ½ in. black gator board. ... [Read More...]
    View this on Eacgs >

I will be attending the NEMA conference in Portland, Maine next month. If you are attending too, please drop by booth #24. It would be nice to visit with you! I feel very lucky to be associated with such a great organization!

This forum is one of the best in all the websites I have visited.

Hope to talk to you all soon,

Lynn Leary

lleary@eacgs.com, phone number 800-894-0264

Lynn Leary
    Visual Development Specialist
    Enhance a Colour
    Danbury CT

• 124.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 10-23-2015 11:24 AM

Hello everyone! I am the Director of Education at SciTech Hands On Museum in Aurora, IL and am a new member of AAM. I have an education background but have always wanted to work in a museum, so here I am! I oversee our educational programming as well as exhibits - which is exactly what I wanted to be doing. I'm excited to be working in this field with all of you!

Concetta Gibson
    Director of Education
    SciTech Hands On Museum
    Aurora

• 125.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-12-2015 04:44 PM

Hi there!

My name is Alyssa, and I currently work at a small art museum in Michigan where I am the curator and registrar (and facilities manager, educational programmer, museum store staff...). Like everyone else, I do a variety of jobs! I graduated in 2014 with a Masters in Museology from the University of Washington in Seattle. The art museum is my first professional position, and I'm excited for a life of museums! 

Looking forward to reading up on the forums, and to getting to know all of you as well!

All my best,

Alyssa

Alyssa DePlonty
    Saginaw Art Museum
    Saginaw MI

• 126.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-15-2015 03:14 PM

My name is Nyadenya Oritsebemegho Inyagwa and I currently work as a substitute-per-diem guide at the Paul Revere Memorial Association and as a retail sales associate at IJ Fox and Klaff. I frequently visit museums in the Boston area along with the Boston Public Library and am currently deciding whether I should pay my hefty student loans and saving up thousands of dollars before applying to Tufts University for a certificate in museum studies & art history or whether I should take out another loan (adding to my hefty student loan) to go back to school by this coming Fall/2016.

Nyadenya Inyagwa
    Substitute Guide/Retail Sales Associate/Entrepreneur
    Paul Revere Memorial Association
    Boston MA

• 127.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-18-2015 03:15 PM

Hello, All,

I am Sarah S. Jones and I am a PhD candidate in art history at the University of Missouri.  For my dissertation, I am writing a scholarly catalog for the Strain Collection of European Decorative Arts housed at the G.W. Frank House History Museum in Kearney, Nebraska. My project focuses on the collecting of European decorative art, especially porcelain, by a middle-class, Midwestern couple in the mid-twentieth century. Most of the porcelain objects are late nineteenth-century reproductions of eighteenth-century models. I am on track to graduate in 2016.

Even though my scholarly output centers on Rococo art, I consider myself a generalist when it comes to my museum career goals. I am currently working as the Curator of Public Arts for the Missouri Student Unions. I am a one-person "museum" as I take care of collections and acquisitions, exhibitions, commissioning permanent and temporary art installations and work with student artists to exhibit their works in our facilities.  More information about our exhibitions can be found at my blog, unionsart.blogspot.com.

Sarah Jones
    PhD Candidate
    Department of Art History and Archaeology - University of Missouri
    Columbia, MO

• 128.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-20-2015 10:40 AM

Greetings!

I'm an exhibition designer and museum specialist based in Chicago. 

I have 10+ years designing and planning exhibitions for art, historical, and natural history museums. After designing exhibitions at the Art Institute of Chicago for 7 years, I started my exhibition design firm. Recently, I designed the reinstallation of the Plains Indians collection for the Brinton Museum, in Big Horn, Wyoming. I am currently developing exhibitions for the Field Museum and the Ellis Island Museum, New York. I have my MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, an MA from Purdue University, and a BFA from the University of North Texas.

I welcome RFPs and queries regarding development or design of exhibits. Let's discuss! email: mdohner101@yahoo.com

Markus Dohner
    Exhibition Designer
    Chicago IL

• 129.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-21-2015 11:03 AM

Good Morning, My name is Paul Dorobialski and I am a Mainyenance Mechanic here at the Milwaukee Public Museum  My main stay position is the "Bulb Guy", I am the person who replaces all lighting in the exhibit & museum building. I also am the "un-official lighting buyer" for museum lighting. Rarely is the person who orders lighting also the "End User". I started here in March of 1993 in a Security Department position & worked for the Facilities Department as a vacation fill. I took the Mechanic position full time in December 1998. My interest in lighting stems from an early age of 7 years old. When asked where I recieved my degree, I refer to the Public Library just across the street from the Museum. On Saturday afternoons I would read all I could about lighting because those wonderful reference books were out in the open. I find the forums very informative as to see what other instutions as doing. Keep up the good work!

Paul DorobialskiMaintenance Mechanic IMilwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI 53233 dorobialski@mpm.edu

• 130.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-26-2015 12:35 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Gavin Swantick.  I'm an Anthropology graduate student at Wayne State University with a concentration in Museum Studies.  I volunteer as an archivist at the Gordon Grosscup Anthropology Museum, which is operated by the Anthropology department.  Museums are more than a career for me, but a passion.  I'm always looking for new opportunities in the museum field, as well as any career advice anyone may have.  I look forward to learning from others who have established themselves in the field.   

Gavin Swantick
    Masters of Anthropology with Concentration in Museum Studies - Wayne State University
    Detroit, MI

• 131.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 11-28-2015 03:51 PM

Hello everyone.

My name is Michael VanHartingsveldt and I am currently an MA student in East Asian Art Business at Sotheby's Institute of Art in Los Angeles. I will be finished with my program in December 2016. After that, I intend to move to the UK to attend Courtauld for my PhD in Buddhist Art, with which I would like to curate and lecture.

In grade 8, I was already interested in Asian culture. I went through high school saving up for a replica suit of samurai armor (which I never ended up buying due to future university costs). After acquiring my undergraduate in English Language and Literature, I ended up teaching English in South Korea for 4.5 years from 2011 to 2015. While there, I rediscovered my passion for Asian arts while traveling around Asia and then interning at the Asia Culture Complex in Gwangju.

I am currently studying Japanese for future research, as I was advised that much of the history of Buddhism has been transcribed to the Japanese language as their culture was the terminus point of the Silk Road. 

It's a pleasure to meet everyone here and I hope to be welcomed warmly into the community of aspiring museum employees. Thank you.

Michael VanHartingsveldt

Sotheby's Institute of Art
    Master's in Art Business Candidate

E: michaelvanhartingsveldt@gmail.com

• 132.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-01-2015 09:20 AM

Hi! My name is Chantal Hayes and I'm the Education Liaison for the Cincinnati Museum Center. After 7 years as a middle school math and science teacher and 3 years in our Museum of Natural History & Science I have moved into this newly created position. To everyone who posts on here regularly, thank you! It has been such an amazing resource to read and learn from other peoples trials, triumphs and experiences. I look forward to more discussions with all you.

Chantal Hayes
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

• 133.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-02-2015 02:31 PM

Chantal,

What does an "Educational Liaison" do? The title could be interpreted in many ways. I enjoy visiting the Natural History Museum since that connects with my personal and professional interests.

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN

• 134.  RE: Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself Here

Posted 12-02-2015 10:07 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am a freelance writer and editor. My background in museums and art history includes working as a freelance editor for Abaris Books and Harcourt Brace; planning, organizing, and curating an exhibition at Harvard’s Fogg Art Museum; publishing articles on Cézanne and Rembrandt in Partisan Review, The New Criterion, Print Quarterly, Gazette des Beaux-Arts, Australian Journal of Art, Issues: A Journal for Artists, and a review in The Burlington Magazine; teaching art history for two years at Columbia College, and earning an BA in art history from Columbia and an MA in fine arts from Harvard University.

Since 1991 I have worked primarily as a medical and health writer and editor (www.MedicalHealthWriterEditor.com), while continuing to engage my interests in museums and art history. More than a thousand of my medical and health articles have appeared in over forty publications, including The Lancet, Washington Post, Scientific American, Mayo Clinic Health Letter, AARP Bulletin (online), Medline (online) and Medical Tribune of Japan; while I have written newsletters, websites, and diverse additional texts for both the public and professionals. My editing in the medical and health field is extensive. I have been exceedingly careful to see that all these projects have remained within the boundaries of the ethical.

Throughout my life museums have served as a wonderful place for recharging and for connecting with paintings and sculpture that carry penetrating value, while also being among the best places I know of for a visit with friends and family.

Bob Kirsch

Ossining, NY

Bob Kirsch