Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Collections Management Software

• 1.  Collections Management Software

Posted 05-23-2015 12:44 PM

I currently serve as chief curator and registrar of the Pensacola Museum of Art. I am writing a grant that will hopefully enable me to purchase a collections management software program. I have received a bid from Gallery Systems for their EmBark program for $8,000. I would like to reach out to two other companies for bids before completing grant. What systems do your museum collections operate on? What are the pros and/or cons of that system. 

We have a small Permanent Collection. Only 400+ accessioned works (primarily 20th - 21st century works on paper). The museum currently manages data through paper files and an Excel spreadsheet. It is a bit like continuing to work with a card catalog system and I truly do hope we can purchase a software program this year that will enable us to do everything from collections and digital asset management to web publishing (for our visitors to the website to view our collection online) and maintain donor and install/loan data. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

Alexis

------------------------------
    Alexis Leader
    Director of Curatorial Affairs
    Pensacola Museum of Art
    Pensacola FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-24-2015 05:08 PM

Alexis;

Our museum purchased Past Perfect Museum Management Software a year ago.  Our collection is very diverse and this software allows for that.

Mark Badasch
    Museum Director
    Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum
    East Saint Louis IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-25-2015 12:57 PM

Hi Alexis,

We use Past Perfect at our historic house museums.  It's easy to learn, an advantage as we sometimes have volunteers helping staff with collections.  Also, the company has been quick to respond to technical issues that arise.  Overall it's been great for our collections.  

Good Luck.

Margaret O'Neil

Margaret O'Neil 

NJ Office of Historic Sites
    Haddonfield NJ

• 4.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 12:21 PM

Alexis,

We've been using Past Perfect, initially one part of it, since 2005.  In late 2008, we started transferring our collection to it.  We have a split collection, about 6,000 items are on loan from the National Museum of the USAF and approximately 4,000 items are ours.  These comprise books, documents, military uniforms and accessories, aircraft and engines, tools, etc.  We have placed our items into Past Perfect.  This year we will be moving the NMUSAF items there also.   

Raymond Meyer

Archives & Artifacts

Safety-Security Manager

Aerospace Musuem of California

916-643-3192 x102

safety-security@aerospaceca.org

• 5.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 05:46 PM

We use FileMakerPro here at the Burke Museum. It's very easy to learn! 

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 07:01 PM
    Hi Alexis,

I am a volunteer at the Aurora History Museum where they use Past Perfect.  I have used it a ton and have to agree with Margaret, it is easy to learn.  I couldn't imagine there being a better collections management software out there than Past Perfect.  From what I have heard it is farily inexpensive compared to others too, although I don't know the numbers.

Good Luck,

Nick Richie

• 7.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 09:41 AM

Hiya-

Your situation is a familiar one...as I read this I thought..."man, I know this tune!"

I worked in a "non collecting" arts center that, despite the "non collecting", indeed had a collection of about 450 objects. That had never been inventoried. And had no locations. We were very, very low budget for the visual arts department, so my ability to purchase one of the big boys of collections management software was very limited. We were also bound to be a Mac only campus, and I kind of refuse (read: am extremely aggravated to an almost irrational degree) to mirror Windows just to use my database. So I sought a third route.

I used eHive for this particular institution, because we lacked significant IT support. It was also web based, which I really wanted, so I could enter data from anywhere (however at last look, the site was not responsive...which is another irrational aggravation but that's another story...)  and the user interface was somewhat intern proof, meaning the fields did what they said on the tin. I had issues with the levels of reporting and not being able to customize, and it was worth the $99 upgrade to get more space for images, but it was the right tool for this particular job. 

There's also Collective Access, which I almost went with for the same project, but I had concerns with other staff's ability to navigate it and operate it with ease. It was a little more technical than eHive, and for that reason I chose eHive over collective access, although I like CA's open access ethos better and I feel like they offer more to the user, as long as the user(s) know how to leverage the features. 

To me, the choice is almost always down to a few factors

• IT support available (in house? a consultant? how much for the consultant?)
    • Budget available (is this in the budget? Will it continue to be in the budget--maintenance is required)
    • Who will be using it (Only professional registrars/curators? Only volunteers? I like to think about how much time and energy will be involved in getting people on board with the database...if it is a Byzantine system, the time cost to supervise and fix might be huge, even if the cost of the software is not.)
    • What features do you REALLY need right now, and what features can you foresee needing in the future? What can meet both of those, and which is most immediate? If your museum is kind of happily putting along with decent documentation, maybe the choice is for those future features? If you have never had a catalog, it might be better to focus on the most immediately needed features and hope for support in the future. 

Cheers,
    Tracey 

Tracey Berg-Fulton
    Collections Database Associate
    Carnegie Museum of Art
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 10:53 AM

My organization uses PastPerfect, good program. However, we have a cloud based server system. If your connection speeds are lacking you'll experience a great deal of lag in performance. If your internet connection goes down, you're out-of-luck. I would love it if PastPerfect would re-introduce their Scatter/Gather program. Sometimes you're working in an area that doesn't have network connection. The ability to work offline is just a necessary evil and to have the option would be wonderful. PastPerfect's customer service team is wonderful.

If your IT support is outsourced, make sure they're comfortable enough to work with your collections software support team to ensure all the proper ports are accessible. I've had a bad experience with our IT company's inability to play nice and I've lost a lot of hours having to mediate the play room.

That's just my two cents.

Good Luck,

Rochelle

Rochelle Coslow-Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA

• 9.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-26-2015 01:24 PM

We just went through selecting Collections Management software. These processes are all about what you can live with and without since no off the shelf product will be able to meet all your unique needs. For us we really wanted something Mac native and the big challenge was finding something that would integrate with the rest of our systems since we are such a small staff. I didn't want to buy a collections management system and a separate donor management system since I'm doing a lot of functions in both unlike a large institution who might have a whole registrar's department and a whole development department.

For us it came down to ArtBase, Sumac, and Salesforce. Salesforce would have required a consultant to set up but it seemed like a decent option. ArtBase was our Collection Manager's first pick but I would have had to use some workaround to manage other areas of our business. In the end we went with Sumac, though we are just now data migration phase so I'm not sure how it will work out.

Building a Filemaker or Access database of your own might work for a collection that small.

Good luck! 

Rachel Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA

• 10.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-27-2015 11:58 AM

Our museum has been a user of ARGUS for more than 2 decades. The current name of the vendor is Lucidea. ARGUS offers a number of differences that might make it well worth considering.

James Bryant
    Curator of Natural History
    Riverside Metropolitan Museum
    Riverside CA

• 11.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 05-28-2015 01:26 PM

Alexis,

You're getting lots of good advice on this question.

The collection you care for is quite small, so perhaps a Filemaker database would work for you.  I've used a 'home-grown' Access database for collections and that could be fine so long as it is set up carefully.

I've worked with PastPerfect for many years and while it is great for collections of a few thousand objects, it also worked for us with a collection of 46,000+ artifacts ranging from tractors to Thomas Cole and William Sidney Mount paintings.  So it is versatile and easy to learn.

Argus is quite powerful but probably beyond what you need.

Collective Access also looks promising for smaller museums; the Museum Association of Nova Scotia has adopted it for its member institutions, so you might check with them on their experience.

Good luck!

Doug Kendall

Douglas Kendall PhD
    Consultant

• 12.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 06-12-2015 03:55 PM

A couple years ago we switched from PastPerfect to CollectiveAccess. In that time CollectiveAccess has become amazing software, and it is quite easy to use. Even my non-technical staff say so. 

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the mapping file we used to import our PP data into CA. 

Kaia Landon
    Executive Director
    Box Elder Museum of Art, History, & Nature
    Brigham City UT

• 13.  RE: Collections Management Software

Posted 08-30-2016 09:26 AM

I am interested in switching to Collective Access. If you are using it, and are willing to communicate with me directly, please email me at chenke@fullcoll.edu.  I have questions about moving our data over, using it for our needs, and security of the information.

Thank you!

Carol Henke
    Fullerton College Art Collection
    Fullerton CA