Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 04-29-2015 05:15 PM

Hello,

My museum is currently in the early pre-design stages of planning a new Children's Education Complex into our current building.  Our current children's area consists of a few scattered toys, coloring pages, and some tables for educational activities. I am looking for any words of wisdom on designing, planning, and funding a major renovation that will include a library/reading space, hands-on interactives area, and learning center/classroom area.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Kristin Martin
    Education Director and Volunteer Coordinator
    Museum of World Treasures
    Wichita, KS

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 04-30-2015 10:39 AM

Hi Kristin,

The work that you're describing is exciting.  I would suggest that you highlight objects in the children's space from your main collection and create opportunities for children and their adult companions to explore ideas related to the object in a child friendly way.  This will then lead back into the main exhibit to look at the real artifacts.  For example, you might have some objects that relate to the old west about everyday life [staying away from stereotypical objects] for children to examine and compare with objects of similar purpose today or have a space where children and adults can look at rocks and minerals through magnifying glasses or sort the specimens in a special sorting table that you create.  Spaces that encourage parent and child interaction as well as prompts that help adults engage their children are also helpful.  I have been working in museums with this audience for many years and am happy to talk off-line further if it is helpful.  Good luck!

Sharon

Sharon Shaffer PhD
    Principal, Education Consultant
    Ruckersville VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 04-30-2015 11:52 AM

One suggestion--a dress up area with different kinds of clothes and costumes. You can have it as a regular feature and also key it to specific visits, with appropriate garments.
    Richard Zimmer

• 4.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 04-30-2015 07:12 PM

You might want to look at this research project funded by IMLS. It is about art museum interactive spaces, but I think you could find some helpful information.

http://www.familiesinartmuseums.org/

Anne Henderson
    Director of Education and Outreach
    Frist Center for the Visual Arts
    Nashville TN

• 5.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 05-01-2015 09:59 AM

Hi Kristin,

A few bits of advice - if you haven't already, it helps with funding and overall community buy-in if you can augment your own expertise with that of local education leaders. Later on these folks can be great contacts to help you jump-start programming, and often they have existing relationships with funders.

Take a peek at what we did to our children's gallery (click on the Early Learning Center tab) a few years ago here: http://www.fwmoa.org/PreK-12

Although ours wasn't a major renovation, we put great emphasis on giving this area a specific focus: Fostering the beginnings of visual literacy education through activities to which 0-6 year olds respond. Having this very specific "mission" in mind helped us define the area, be efficient in our planning, and give something to the community that wasn't there before. That's another important concept: what's missing in the community in terms of education outside the schools? What can you do to your space that makes it a unique destination?

Best of luck to you,

Amanda Martin
    Deputy Director
    Fort Wayne Museum of Art

• 6.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 05-02-2015 03:55 PM

You've gotten some great responses and advice so far! I definitely second Mr. Shepard's suggestion of connecting with local early childhood educators.  They can give you some really good insight on things that work well and don't just "look good" as well as connect with funders, help you with theory questions etc.You can look to the National Association for the Education of Young Children (naeyc.org) to help you connect with programs in your area that have gone through a rigorous accreditation process.

Dr. Shaffer also brings up a great point of putting authentic museum artifacts in the space. I have been able to assist with some planning at the National Museum of American History for an "under 5" space and that is one of the things I was most excited about.  Spaces like this are more then just a place to shuffle kids off to one side, it is an opportunity for them to learn about the museum in an age appropriate way!

Content/mission/activities/programming are key, but when you are planning you also want to give serious thought to what the physical space will be. When you are thinking of the physical space, you will want to keep sight lines in mind. If adults are there with more then one child they will be trying to (literally) keep an eye on multiple children at once. Being thoughtful about how things are placed will alleviate some anxiety on that front! Stroller access/parking can also be one of the biggest challenges and what bathrooms/changing areas are in/near the area.  Bringing up that you are thinking about all of these things will show you are being thoughtful about the physical needs of the family!

A quieter area (like the reading nook you described) can be great for nursing mothers, children who need some "space" or a place with less sensory input. Once again, by framing these spaces as both access to literacy opportunities and a way to address the needs of families with young children shows you are thinking about the whole family.

One last thing to consider, do you have space for babies/crawlers or young toddlers? Planning a space for the youngest learners is sometimes left out of the "children's areas" and could really set a space apart!

As you can tell, this is a topic that I can speak to on end! Please let me know if I can support you in any way, I love hearing about museums thoughtfully incorporating young children into their spaces.

Sincerely,

Sarah

Sarah Erdman
    Consultant
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Children's Education Complex renovation advice

Posted 05-04-2015 10:56 AM

Some thoughts:

1) Do you want the hands-on interactive area to encourage repeat visits or do you anticipate this to be a periodic or one-time activity for children? Will kids want to go back?

2) Will the interactive area be static or do you plan to change out modules and keep it fresh? If you are changing it out, budget for it up front.

3) Do you anticipate the experience to require facilitation or be self-directed? Play spaces require supervision. If activities are facilitated, then make sure you budget for staffing.

4) What is the expected life span of items in the interactive space? Budget for replacement.

5) Check into local regulations for children's play areas. How often does a surface need to be cleaned etc. If you are cleaning all surfaces daily, make sure you are staffed for it. Cleaning lots of little stuff can be time consuming.

6) Seriously look into your competition and make sure you are not duplicating something that already exists and that your fees are competitive. For example, partner with the library instead of duplicating their programs.

7) Don't underestimate what parents will pay for. Toddler programs have value and can bring in revenue and build membership and donor bases.
    Mary Novotny
    Volunteer Coordinator AAM 2015 Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo Atlanta
    Atlanta GA

Formerly Director Heritage Farm Museum of Loudoun County Virginia