Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Quiet Air Purifiers

Posted 04-13-2015 01:45 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking for suggestions for an air purifier for a historic house that will circulate and filter, and be as silent as possible to prevent tour disruption. Are there any suggestions for models or even companies to look at? 

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cindy

------------------------------
    Cindy Olsen
    Director of Material Culture
    Historic Ford Estates
    Grosse Pointe Shores MI

• 2.  RE: Quiet Air Purifiers

Posted 04-14-2015 04:51 PM

Hi Cindy,

We ran into this same need here in Newport, despite the fact that we had expanded a central HVAC system to cover most of a very large house. To begin with, we worked with the main system to assemble the right series of filters for our purposes. Naturally, the most important ones were the most expensive, but we were able to eliminate fine particulates and odors, while using cheaper filters to intercept somewhat coarser particulates first. However ( and this is probably what you are seeking) we needed something free-standing in a particular spot where the central HVAC could not reach. 

I am only mentioning one source and one machine, but you can find many vendors and purifiers on the Web, of course. I explored the offerings at the Allergy Buyers' Club, immediately excluding the electronic precipitators, which can introduce ozone (a corrosive gas) into the air. Some purifiers are rather small, perhaps useful in a bedroom, but not for larger areas. I finally settled on the IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier, which is certainly not cheap, but did the job for us. We did no analytical testing, but dust and odor control were good, judged empirically. The machine uses a series of filters, as does our larger system, and we found good results by changing them just once a year; your results may vary. I can only add that the machine has been in place at least six years, and just keeps circulating and cleaning the air quietly.

Best of luck,

Bruce

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI