Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Posted Rules for Behavior or Code of Conducts

Posted 04-10-2015 09:34 AM

I'm looking for feedback on the posting of a Code of Conduct at the entrance to our museums.

Does anyone post conduct rules?

If so, where in your museum?

------------------------------
    Joseph Middendorf
    Director of Public Safety
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Posted Rules for Behavior or Code of Conducts

Posted 04-11-2015 09:06 AM

Here we go with the Posted Rules of Behavior again.  Gosh, this is always tricky.  One museum I worked with was the Springfield Art Museum in Missouri, and when we had a new director we struggled with this issue for months, as the security guards were always trying to post signs and trying new ideas  and had very little success; however,  You may want to contact that museum and talk with Joe and Roger ( security) or contact the Director, Nick. He was very innovative with developing friendly signage, and they could probably share what they have learned - or not learned.  This is always a tough subject.  Good Luck.  Keep me posted.  I am going to be going to India to create some children's programs, for an ethnographic museum, so it will be interesting to compare notes. SAM number is: 417-837-5700.  I will give them a head's up that you may be calling.

Cynthia Scheuer
    Clarkston MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Posted Rules for Behavior or Code of Conducts

Posted 04-11-2015 02:01 PM

We don't post a code of conduct, but the best one I have seen is the one for the City Museum in St. Louis.

https://apps.lis.illinois.edu/wiki/download/attachments/17957409/cmsl_info_warning_close.JPG

Joseph Imholte
    Director of Special Exhibits & Public Programs
    Science Museum of Minnesota
    Saint Paul MN

• 4.  RE: Posted Rules for Behavior or Code of Conducts

Posted 04-15-2015 12:45 PM

Dear Joseph,

This is one cute solution to posting a code of conduct in a way that isn't standoffish:

Korean Museum Uses Adorable Cats in Visitor Etiquette Guide

Best wishes,

Stephanie

Stephanie Pearson
    Freie Mitarbeiterin, Antikensammlung, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
    Ph.D. Candidate, History of Art, UC Berkeley
    stephpearson.com