Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Insurance

Posted 04-03-2015 10:38 AM

------------------------------
    DeWayne Tomasek

Greetings everyone;

I have a question about insurance. We have a small museum that's been in operation now for about 15 years. Last night at our staff meeting a question arose that no one could answer. Thus my search begins. We have artifacts that have been donated and loaned to us. If the unthinkable should happen to our facility whose insurance policies would be responsible for the destroyed artifacts? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Insurance

Posted 04-06-2015 09:18 AM
    Greetings, DeWayne,

All of these objects--both donations and loans to you--would be covered under your institution's insurance.  No question that the objects that were donated to you institution would be your responsibility to insure, since they belong to you.  The donors have no involvement in them anymore and no longer hold any responsibility to cover insurance.  The loans to you should technically also be under covered under your insurance unless you have negotiated otherwise and noted this in your loan agreement.  If you do not currently execute loan agreements between you and your lenders, I would strongly suggest that you consider implementing them.  Even a very simple one without any legal jargon is for your institution's benefit as well as your lenders.  Your loan agreement should indicate who should be providing insurance coverage, which again should most likely be your institution, while the objects are on your premises.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me via email or phone.

Best of luck, and regards,
    Leslie Ory Lewellen

--
    Ms. Leslie Ory Lewellen  |  Associate Registrar for Acquisitions
    Minneapolis Institute of Arts
    2400 Third Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55404 
    (612) 870-3242  |  fax (612) 870-3121  |  lory@artsmia.org   |  www.artsmia.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Insurance

Posted 04-10-2015 12:00 PM

OK, here is a different twist.

Scenario:

Outstanding loan from 16 years ago that has fallen thru the cracks.  Objects are lost.  "Wall to Wall" coverage ended April 2000.  Is there a claim?  The argument can be presented that lender, as stewards' has failed to exercise "due diligence" in tracking and recovering objects at the end of "Wall to Wall".  Question:  Is the borrower responsible and should file a insurance claim OR is the lender now responsible?

George Grigonis
    Collections Manager
    Mütter Museum - College of Physicians of Philadelphia
    Philadelphia PA