Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Starting a museum

Posted 03-26-2015 08:32 AM

Greetings,

As a new AAM member, I hoping for input and wisdom from those that participated in the museum start-up process.  My organization is currently conducting a feasibility study to determine the community support for a universally designed (in program and architecture) children's museum.   As a part of our due diligence we are visiting other children's museums.   Although a  tremendous about of investigation has gone into the process there so much to learn from existing institutions.

I would be grateful for input on key questions to ask in the areas of master planning, administration, sustainability, visitor services, professional partnerships, resource development, marketing, security, etc.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Denise Liebel
    CEO
    United Services for Children
    Saint Peters MO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 03-31-2015 06:09 PM

Denise:

I don't know that I can be very helpful in answering your questions, but I am also in the process of starting a museum, which is set to open in June, and would love to hear what you find.

Rebecca Herz
    Director, Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-01-2015 08:51 AM

Hi Denise and Rebecca,

I actually work specifically with clients starting new museums and would be glad to chat offline about the process and the specifics of your projects. I wrote a blog post about it on my website and on a museum group I belong to (Praxis Museum Projects) that may be of interest: http://www.carolynneharris.com/#!SO-you-want-to-build-a-museum/c1ucw/ED881BAF-60FD-44DB-A9FA-31E3E2AD3B88.

Every project is different, of course, but the team you put together and how you phase it is always key.

Best,

Carolynne

Carolynne Harris
    Independent Consultant for Museum Planning and Development
    Philadelphia PA

• 4.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-01-2015 02:00 PM

There is a great resource on the AAM website called Starting a Museum. You can access the pages directly by clicking on this link:http://www.aam-us.org/about-museums/starting-a-museum. This resource includes a lot of useful information from learning about museum standards to sustaining operations once you open.

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in starting a museum.

Cecelia Walls
    Information Center Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-02-2015 08:37 AM

Good morning,

You might want to take a look at "What Comes First," a downloadable publication, co-written by Anne Ackerson and me in 2010 for the Museum Association of New York. Subtitled Your Guide to Building a Strong, Sustainable Museum or Historical Organization (With Real Life Advice from Folks Who've Done It) it is designed to help individuals and groups determine if founding a museum or heritage organization is the best alternative for preserving a collection, a building or a community's history. The discussion questions encourage exploration of organizational and professional issues that will help you build a strong rationale for starting an organization that has at its heart the public trust. In addition to checklists of prompting questions, the guide is filled with no-nonsense tips and real life advice from colleagues across the state. You'll find it at MANY's web site: http://www.manyonline.org/professional-development/starting-museum.

Good luck,

Joan Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 6.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-02-2015 10:06 AM
    The Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums (MAAM) developed a series of seminars on Building Museums.  Although theme and location change yearly, they generally include extremely informative presentations on the planning process for new museums as well as expansions/renovations.   Check the MAAM web presence for reports from past seminars or news about the 2015 events.

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    Curator of Exhibitions
    New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-02-2015 11:46 AM

Hi Denise,

I have found the Alberta Museums Association Standard Practices Handbook (Edmonton, Alberta: AMA, 1990) very helpful as well as:

The Manual of Strategic Planning for Museums by Lord & Markert

The Handbook for Museums by Edson & Dean

The Manual of Museum Management by Lord & Lord

Timothy Hohn
    Department Head, Edmonds Community College
    Lynnwood WA

• 8.  RE: Starting a museum

Posted 04-03-2015 10:40 AM
    If you'd like to get a first hand account, one of my former grad school classmates started a museum in DC. His name is Jon West-Bey and he's currently directing there. Check it out: American Poetry Museum

Dawn Salerno
    Director of Education
    Mystic Arts Center
    Mystic CT