Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Creating multi-media tablet-based self-guided tours/experiences for school groups.

• 1.  Creating multi-media tablet-based self-guided tours/experiences for school groups.

Posted 03-24-2015 10:11 AM

All-

We are looking into creating multi-media tablet-based self-guided tours/experiences for school groups. We would like to know if anyone has gone through this process and if so could relate general costs that were involved in the development and deployment of such materials.

I greatly appreciate any responses.

Regards,

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
    Miami FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Creating multi-media tablet-based self-guided tours/experiences for school groups.

Posted 03-24-2015 12:52 PM

There are several avenues you can take.  You can have an App created which could cost $15,000+.  If you have WiFi you can create a Tablet/Mobile web site (HTML 5 responsive design).  I have built self-guided tours for our exhibitions but not for school groups.  We do a lot of school groups here and I see how our educators teach and help the teacher/students through the museum and to make sure that all the school groups are done on time and have completed what they came here for.

I am not sure if an App or self-guided tour would be very effective and create a sense of worth which would drive the school groups to re-book for next year.

If you are still looking to do this I prefer HTML5 mobile web sites.  They are much easier to update and the cost for developer is much cheaper.  If WiFi is an issue you can lend tablets and install your mobile HTML5 code on the tablet directly.  You will also need to install a web server on the table so that it will run the HTML5 code.  I don't use iPads as are very expensive and harder to work with. 

I am currently working on a Table that will be displayed in an exhibition that uses the HTML5 and web server on the tablet.  Once I have something ready I can post pictures. 

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more