Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Gender Neutral Restrooms

Posted 03-17-2015 10:59 AM
    We are beginning the design phase of a major renovation of our 1933 Art Deco train station home. We will be replacing, changing and modernizing all our systems including restrooms. I'm interested to talk to anyone who included gender-neutral rest rooms. I've got references to college dorms but am looking for museum examples. Thanks.

------------------------------
    Jane MacKnight
    Director Museum Planning
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Gender Neutral Restrooms

Posted 03-17-2015 01:20 PM
    Here at Boston Children's Museum we have "Family Restrooms" which are not advertised as gender neutral restrooms, but for those of us who seek out gender neutral options, it's a code word we all know and rely on. Gender neutral restrooms are super important for gender nonconforming people or trans* identified individuals who have safety and comfort concerns. Our family restrooms also provide a space for men who need to accompany their children in the bathroom but would like to avoid the men's room.

Margaret Middleton
    Exhibit Designer
    Boston Children's Museum
    Boston MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Gender Neutral Restrooms

Posted 03-18-2015 09:33 AM

We have gender neutral restrooms here at the ICA, that are used as locked staff restrooms during normal business hours, but then opened for events and productions.  In the beginning - 9  years ago, there was a bit of fussing from staff, but that disappeared rather quickly.  As far as I know we have never had a complaint from a guest.
    Jana E. Dengler CFM, FMA, SMA
    Director of Facilities and Sec
    Institute of Contemporary Art
    Boston MA