Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-11-2015 04:49 PM

In terms of innovative design and layout in museums, by what visible collections storage and education/research spaces have you been inspired?

We are designing a much-needed update of our collections storage to include a visible storage element and a research area for guests. Currently, public and internal research occurs in ferreted-out areas of the 1930s building, and a small percentage of our artifacts are on the floor (primarily we have hands-on interactive exhibits). Currently our collections (history of science, technology, and entrepreneurship) are located in 11 different areas of our building. Almost any design will require us to move staff, eliminate income generating areas, factor in square footage for the environmental control equipment, and spend quite a lot of money on moving and storing the collections as we work on the new space. Understanding there will always be some challenges, we aspire to create an innovative, new space to increase physical access to our collections.
    Thank you for any inspirational input!

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-12-2015 11:01 AM
    Hi, I recommend you look at the V&A  (Victoria and Albert Museum, London) Ceramics Study galleries. They include a scholars study area, and are right next door to thematic ceramics displays which include a fully working ceramics studio.

-------------------------------------------
    Juliette Fritsch
    Chief of Education and Interpretation
    Peabody Essex Museum
    Salem MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-12-2015 11:49 AM
    Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site recently created an exhibit using "open display",. where over 1,300 objects are on view in a small space.  We utilize an electronic catalog in the space to provide interpretation and alternative view of the objects.  In putting together this exhibit, and doing research, open storage exhibits at Historic Deerfield and the Brooklyn Museum were very helpful in determining our ultimate direction.

Elyse Goldberg
    Historic Site Manager
    Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site
    Newburgh NY

• 4.  RE: visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-12-2015 01:01 PM
    I really like the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh.  They've managed to blur the lines between research space and public space very effectively, and visitors can't help but notice that "there's some science going on in here" as they tour the museum.  Many of the labs may even be entered by visitors.  (Granted, they had very large facilities and significant financial resources to work with.) 

Another one worth a look is the new Natural History Museum of Utah in Salt Lake City.  Visitors don't have direct access to the collection room (without some prior arrangement), but in the gallery there are large windows that allow them to see into the collection room.  Specimens that are especially interesting or noteworthy are often placed near the windows, so the view offers more than rows of white steel cabinets. 

Many museums with paleontology programs have windows in the gallery that look into the paleontology lab, so that visitors can get a glimpse "behind the scenes", and some are even set up to allow dialog between staff and public.  These are often among the most popular features in the museum.  See the Smithsonian or the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology for examples.

I really like the idea of reminding the public that a museum is much more than its exhibits, and letting them get a glimpse of the collections maintained and to understand them as the core of active scientific research certainly sends that message.  In the case of state (often university) or federal museums, these collections are literally "our stuff", and I think it's important for visitors to understand that they have a stake in their preservation and care.  If they don't see them, they often don't think of museums in that way.  Thanks for thinking in this direction!

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 5.  RE: visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-16-2015 10:30 AM
    You might want to check out the Museum of Arts and Design in NYC. They have a gorgeous contemporary jewelry gallery which features 'study drawers' which you can open to observe additional objects. I'm attaching a quick snapshot to give you an idea.

They also have an "artist studios" program where you can see and interact with artists at work.

--
    Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
    Graphic and Exhibition Design
    Tel: 718-789-1238

Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
    Pointers - Tips, ideas, and inspiration from the world of exhibition and graphic design

• 6.  RE: visible collections storage and education/research spaces

Posted 03-17-2015 09:03 AM

The Andy Warhol Museum's Archival Department is visually open to the public via a glass wall.  I am unsure if that design is possibly changing, though, as I saw this statement online: "Warhol's archives are closed to researchers and the public during a re-organization of the physical workspaces and collection storage areas. 

Read more at warhol.org:  http://www.warhol.org/collection/archives/#ixzz3UeCtwFox"

There may be images of its past incarnation online.

Beth Savage
    New York NY
    ------------------------------