Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

MuseumHack.com

• 1.  MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-09-2015 04:14 PM

I've recently become aware of this site, and am still forming an opinion. What are the thoughts out there on this?

Christopher L. Kolakowski

Director

The MacArthur Memorial

MacArthur Square

Norfolk, VA 23510

757-441-2965

Christopher.Kolakowski@norfolk.gov

www.macarthurmemorial.org

www.facebook.com/macarthurmemorial

DUTY  - HONOR  - COUNTRY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE:MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-10-2015 08:34 AM

Hi have also recently learned of Museum Hack on an episode of the satellite radio show called Museum Life hosted by Carol Bossert. If you google this site you can find podcast from February. Am still thinking about it myself.
    -------------------------------------------
    Gretchen Jennings
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-11-2015 09:46 AM

This calls to mind--in basic concept, at least--the Re-Mix MoMa effort of 2005, which originated as a classroom project: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/28/arts/design/28podc.html?_r=0
    Inspired by that venture, I've used the "alternative" audio tour as a pedagogical tool to encourage student-creators to more deeply engage with the ideas, artifacts, contextualizations, etc., of museum exhibitions. Of course, that's non-profit engagement with museum exhibitions and collections vs. for-profit.

Seems, at first glance, the tours would appeal to folks who already frequent museums and want a fun, fresh way to experience them as well as tourists where the museum lover in the family/group wants to create a memorable, fun experience for others in the party who may not be as enthusiastic about museum going. Given the price tag, it is hard to imagine the museum-reticent crowd self-selecting this as an activity. Of course, the tongue-in-cheek hyperbole is part of the fun and not necessarily reflective of the product's real positioning. Will have to listen to the podcast mentioned to learn more about Museum Hack itself and think about the questions it raises.     

Thanks for introducing this to the Junction,

Clarissa 

Clarissa Ceglio PhD
    Digital Humanities Research Assistant
    Broad Brook CT

• 4.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-13-2015 10:18 AM
    I think the work they are doing is very creative. I have bookmarked for use the next time I teach our museum education class this bachelorette party they offer: http://www.museumhack.com/bachelorette-party/.

I must say, however, that the idea of approaching museum objects in a way that creates bridges from potentially unfamiliar or uninteresting content to contemporary audiences by relating it to something within their frame of reference (Astrolabe as 17th Century Islamic equivalent of an iPhone) is nothing new. Groups like the National Association for Interpretation (NAI) and National Park Service have been training educators to do that for decades.

Dan

Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology Beloit College
    Beloit WI

I've recently become aware of this site, and am still forming an opinion. What are the thoughts out there on this?

Christopher L. Kolakowski

Director

The MacArthur Memorial

MacArthur Square

Norfolk, VA 23510

757-441-2965

Christopher.Kolakowski@norfolk.gov

www.macarthurmemorial.org

www.facebook.com/macarthurmemorial

DUTY  - HONOR  - COUNTRY

• 5.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-12-2015 03:33 PM

Mikala Woodward
    Exhibit Director
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-12-2015 03:34 PM
    Hmmm.... I confess there's a part of me that's a little irritated by this, like: Oh, please -- grow up and just go to the museum, already, people. Do you really need to pay $50 to have someone rope you into goofy games in the galleries? Are you so "alternative" that you can't just go inside the Met and look around at the mind-blowing art like the rest of us? (Or play your own goofy games, if that's what turns you on? Goofy games are awesome; I have been known to instigate quite a few of them myself...)

I'm also bothered by the implication that the museum itself is incapable of doing stuff that's "fun" or "awesome" -- these folks cast the institution in the role of fuddy duddy snooze-mongers, a traditionalist backdrop for their wacky hipster antics. I feel like we spend enough time countering this "stuffy" image of ourselves -- often propagated by people who quite openly say they don't like museums and never go to them -- it's frustrating to see it reinforced (for someone else's profit) here.

I do recognize that my "Oh, grow up" attitude probably comes off as elitist and condescending... which is of course highly off-putting for potential visitors who already feel intimidated or uncomfortable in museums. I know some folks do need an extra invitation to relax and enjoy themselves in these spaces I love so much. Mostly I want to work on addressing those kinds of barriers for *underprivileged* people, however... which ($50) doesn't seem to be the target audience for Museum Hack.

With all of that said...  I suppose if there are people who are willing and able to cough up the dough, and if their statue selfie games aren't bothering the other visitors, and (especially) if it's bringing in people who wouldn't otherwise come -- well, why not? These tours do look like fun! I'd be curious to see what exactly they're doing/saying, and what if anything could be incorporated into the museum's "regular" repertoire.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts -- has anyone been on one of these outings?

Mikala

Mikala Woodward
    Exhibit Developer
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 7.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-12-2015 05:07 PM
    I used their program as an inspiration to invite the community to hack our museum as a public program. It was mostly an invitation for people to submit their ideas and have ownership. Museumhack is doing very well though as a business and the founder has made a name for himself in the media. From the very beginning I've wondered about the staff at the Met and their reaction to the tours and have not heard anything at all. 

Howard McPhail
    Curator
    Museum of Mobile
    Mobile AL

• 8.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-13-2015 08:21 AM

I've been following the adventures of the Museum Hack team for a while. I have to admit that at first I was, like Mikala, a little bothered by what the company was doing. I thought the price point was high (although, it IS New York City, and the price includes admission to the museum), and that having outside groups running tours that museums are fully equipped to give themselves seemed counter productive for the museums. 

That said, however, I think what Museum Hack is doing is really great. Many museums are trying to combat the "museums are boring/only for kids/only for seniors/etc." mentality that has infected a huge population of potential museum-goers -- especially millennials. And many museums are struggling with it. Museum Hack has figured out how to engage that demographic, and has people who never considered museums as a destination returning multiple times. The thing that I admire most about their company is that they are willing to share those techniques with museum staff. Sure, they are a for-profit company using non-profit museums for their own reward, but they are also sharing the paths to those rewards with the museums themselves. I have been working on co-opting some of their strategies for my own museum, and in the process have had a few conversations with them. I learned a great deal about their tours, their motivating factors, and their engagement techniques. 

Museum Hack's target demographic is the young, culturally-interested, but museum-apathetic person. They're reaching them. My hope is that soon, museums are able to as well. 

Margaret James
    Educator
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 9.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-14-2015 01:35 PM

This is something I've been following, too. I have yet to take a tour myself (though it's on our staff's list), but have tracked their activity through their presence online and related media.

I agree with some of the perceptions voiced above - that museums have been doing (some of) these kinds of things for a long time, that it is encoded in the philosophical foundations of museum interpretation. At the same time, I think Museum Hack is pointing out areas that we haven't done our work as well - primarily, audience segmentation, targeted marketing approaches, experience design and visual design, and an atmosphere of informality.

What I hope is that Museum Hack demonstrates that taking a slightly less reverent attitude, and paying solid attention to audience and design, will not kill museums. Hopefully, it will spur us to better understand what markers of "good experience" have not been leading our messaging for young (and young in spirit) audiences.

Michelle Moon
    Assistant Director for Adult Programs
    Peabody Essex Museum
    Salem MA

• 10.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-15-2015 11:23 AM
    I heard the head of Museum Hack speak at a conference last fall and was intrigued. So we had them come visit and train some of our tour, public programs and guest service staff on engagement techniques. It was good but we were already doing many of the things they espoused to. I think it might be better for art museums than say science centers. Our next step is to look at our tour and program content with Hack principles in mind. My advice would be, if you are in NYC go on one of their tours and think about the application for your org. ------------------------------------------- Melissa Felder Chief Marketing Officer California Academy of Sciences San Francisco CA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-15-2015 07:26 PM
    I found their approach intriguing; however, I just finished a lengthy discussion with another historian regarding the need and/or usefulness of "infotainment" in history museums. While I understand the pressure to include highly interactive exhibits and, as Melissa stated, more engagement techniques, do we risk surrendering opportunities to drive critical thinking?

Perhaps the question is whether we (our institutions and organizations) consider ourselves as the "authority" or, do we simply facilitate learning and exploring? Is there a time and place for presenting information in a more entertaining way? Does it detract to the authenticity of the exhibit? Would utilizing a format like Museum Hack in any venue (science, art, history) ready the participants to partake in more serious discussions about labor, race, atrocities, environmental issues?

Dana Brown
    PhD Student School of Museum Studies

• 12.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-16-2015 09:59 AM
    I'm interested in Museum Hack because it's a good example of the "sharing economy" colliding with museums. Museums are an underutilized resource, & independent entrepreneurs can figure out how to harness that resource to a business model by finding unmet needs--in this case for irreverent, gamified experiences. So, whether or not museums choose to meet that need, it's going to happen, because the tools afforded by the internet and social media enable other people to capitalize on our infrastructure. On the other hand, the good news is a) there IS unmet need, and b) we don't have to do it all ourselves. We can catalyze the local economy by letting businesses make use of our resources.

Here is a post Nick Gray did for the CFM Blog on Museum Hack. To an earlier question about the Met's reaction--I embedded a PBS video in the post that includes an interview with Sandra Jackson Dumont, chair of education at the Met.

Elizabeth Merritt
    Director, Center for the Future of Museums
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-16-2015 11:19 AM

For those of you interested in attending the Southeastern Museums Conference 2015 Annual meeting in Jacksonville FL, October 12-14, 2015, Nick Gray of MuseumHack will be our keynote speaker.  Whatever your opinion is, I would say that we need to be engaging in these kinds of conversations about audience and museum engagement.  Speaking as a museum professional I know how hard  it is to accept that not everyone loves museums as they are--but clearly that is the case for many not coming in our doors!
    Kathleen Hutton
    Director of Education
    Reynolda House Museum of American Art
    Winston Salem NC

• 14.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-17-2015 12:41 PM

They recently approached my museum about doing something. I think it's a great way to re-invent engagement for a museum that may be stagnant or as a training medium for volunteers that are afraid to give a tour beyond the mono-toned here it is presentation. If you don't have a diverse age group to support their services, to the base tune of 5K, it's a huge gamble to pass that on to the patron with the hopes that you'll break even. Given there are so many resources / tools that my departments could benefit from to help build interest in the community, I'd be reluctant to squeeze it out of my budget. However, if I had someone to sponsor it, I would give it a try.

------------------------------
    Rochelle Coslow-Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA

• 15.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-19-2015 01:34 PM

DISCLAIMER: I work for Museum Hack.

A little over a year ago I had the privilege of spearheading our expansion from The Met to The American Museum of Natural History. It has been a tremendously rewarding experience to step outside of my "normal" role at The New York Hall of Science to explore the concepts of interactivity, engagement and relevancy within a space that explicitly prohibits touching. It's made the museum experiences I facilitate more enjoyable and much more meaningful.

At our core, Museum Hack is simply a group of museum-lovers who want to help engender that love in others. While it is true that parts of what we do are already being utilized at many institutions, I think it's fair to say that we generally take a somewhat different approach in an attempt to reach new audiences and/or reinvigorate those who may have become apathetic to the museum experience. We do NOT think museums are "broken"; in fact, we continue to be humbled and inspired by the amazing work happening in our field. By using strategies that we've found to be tremendously useful, we're trying to help move that work along, wherever and however we can.

I answered a lot of Museum Hack questions here for Nina Simon, but if you've got more, I'm happy to answer them via this thread or in person in Atlanta!

Dustin Growick
    Science Instructor
    New York Hall of Science
    Queens NY

(I also host SciTechNow's The Dinosaur Show on PBS)

• 16.  RE: MuseumHack.com

Posted 03-20-2015 10:05 AM

Thanks all for the great discussion and additional information - this helps a lot. I'm all in favor of increasing engagement and finding ways to do that. We're dealing with that here, as the generation that shared a lifetime with General MacArthur ages. I'll be following their development closely.

Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    MacArthur Memorial
    Norfolk VA