Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

• 1.  Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-03-2015 12:06 PM
    Hi all,

I'm presently looking to purchase a flat-screen tv for an upcoming exhibit, and as with everything things days there is a plethora of choices out there. I'm investigating reviews right now, but have any of you had experience with flat-screens in your museum? If so, which brand did you find most reliable? I don't need a smart TV, we don't have WIFI capabilities at the Museum. I'm just looking for something that can play a video on DVD or thumb drive on loop without breaking down, and can have headphones plugged into it, probably 42" or smaller.

Thanks,

Sara Woodbury

-------------------------------------------
    Sara Woodbury
    Curator
    Roswell Museum and Art Center
    Roswell NM

Sara Woodbury
    Curator
    Roswell Museum and Art Center
    Roswell NM
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-04-2015 07:03 AM
    I've been using consumer grade LG and Vizio TVs for a few years now without any problems. ------------------------------------------- Edward Pershey PhD Director Special Projects and Exhibitions Western Reserve Historical Society Cleveland OH -------------------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-04-2015 09:09 AM
    Personally I'm a fan of Samsung, followed by VISIO, then Philips. When possible I try to purchase from COSTCO because you get an instant 2 year extended warranty, but shopping around is your best bet because there are a lot of deals out there and you can generally get a SquareTrade warranty.

Have a good one!
    Rochelle

Rochelle Coslow-Robinson
    Exhibit Programs Director
    AACA Museum - Antique Auto Club of America
    Hershey PA

• 4.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-05-2015 09:56 AM
    I have been using Sony & Vizio for about 3 years now.  They both seem to work well.  I have recently started using the Smart TV version of Vizio and am quite pleased with it and what it will do for me.
    Greg

Gregory Shuman
    Deputy Director
    National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
    Albuquerque NM

• 5.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-06-2015 09:35 AM
    Here at the Mint we just bought several new screens.  We ended up going with Sony Bravia's (32" & 40") and in order to fit a larger screen into the budget I chose a Vizio 65".  The key factors in those choices were the smart capabilities and picture quality from the Sony's.  Vizio smart TVs do not have a repeat video feature when playing from a USB drive and that was a deal breaker.  We had to get a mini media player to run on the big new Vizio but were willing to make that compromise to get the large ultra HD screen.

We purchased from Best Buy because they were conveniently close, willing to work with us on budget and reasonable prices on extended warranties.

Brandon Scott
    Design Assistant
    Mint Museum
    Charlotte NC

• 6.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-06-2015 01:39 PM
    Greetings,

I am really surprised by the support of consumer grade monitors here. 
    Obviously budgets are a huge issue but, this really is a case of you get what you pay for. 
    Consumer grade monitors and TVs are not made for the kind of use we in the museum industry put them under. 
    There are real reasons why a Best Buy or Costco monitor is less expensive. 
    part of it has to do with build quality, most of it has to do with the quality of components that go into the hardware.
    Cheap monitors are not meant to run all day long day after day, lastly, the software is generally meant for consumers, not professionals. There is a lot of bloat on consumer monitors and this can lead to buggy operations.

Look at NEC commercial monitors, or ELO Touch touchscreens. Make sure the hardware is designed to perform in the way you intend to use it or you may end up buying 2 or three replacement over the course of an exhibit.

Bart

Bart Hays
    Senior Exhibition Designer
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA

• 7.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-06-2015 02:29 PM
    I agree with Bart entirely. Unfortunately the point about budgets being a huge issue has a lot to do with it. I began my search for monitors with a hard stance on finding a commercial solution. In the end, the extended warranties are what allowed me to compromise on that.  Compared to NEC commercial screens we spent 20-30% less on the monitors even after paying extra for extended warranties.  

All that said, we are very conscious about how we use them.  A lot of older video content does not fit the screen aspect ratio which can run the risk of having burned in lines, we are prepared to reformat or edit the frame to avoid this (LCD's do not have this problem as bad as older TV's but it can still happen in extreme circumstances).  Overheating/ventilation is a big concern.  If you're putting the TV in a case or some type of enclosed area it can lower the life expectancy.  

Brandon Scott
    Design Assistant
    Mint Museum
    Charlotte NC

• 8.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-07-2015 09:16 AM
    My experience is different than Bart's. The consumer grade screens that we've used have run everyday for over two tears without a glitch. The one NEC pro grade screen is the only one to fail. I think the price difference is important. With several dozen screens installed the cost savings on install we're substantial and far more than the potential failure rate of the consumer level screens. But in any case be sure to research and be comfortable with any purchase. ------------------------------------------- Edward Pershey PhD Project Manager Western Reserve Historical Society Cleveland OH -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-08-2015 09:02 PM
    Greetings all--
    Here at the National Aquarium, we have had much success with installation and performance of "consumer" grade TV's as opposed to "commercial" grade TV's. But there is definitely, in our experience, a caveat to this.  Generally speaking, the installation and environmental conditions are critical for the performance and longevity of the display.  If the display is running in conditioned air space, well ventilated, mounted correctly, etc., consumer product, in our experience, runs as long as commercial product.  Fro example,We have a couple of 60' Sharp Aquos TV's that have been running 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for about 5 years with no problem. Other similar installs we get the same results.. We do try to stick with Samsung, Sharp, or Sony TV's..products from Japan..  Now Bart is certainly correct in consumer grade products are not the right choice is some applications.  For touchscreens, and for those of you in the public museum world know they are not touched..they are banged, slapped, pounded on.., we stick with Elo integrated monitor and touchscreen ("touch monitor").  We have tried retro fitting a touch screen on a cheaper monitor with not good results.  Also, in harsher environments, we do use specialized or commercial grade monitors, and/or housings.  
    Sara, you also mentioned playback with thumb drive or DVD in a loop.  My recommendation would be to go with a commercial product for your looping playback such as Brightsign player.  I can't tell you how many DVD players we've been through that were set up to loop playback.  Fortunately, in this day and age, DVD players are going bye bye anyway.  Great discussion everyone.

Richard Snader
    Manager of Multimedia Services
    National Aquarium
    Baltimore MD

• 10.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-09-2015 12:16 PM
    At our Museum of Natural Curiosity, we used commercial grade LG smart TV's and used the web browser to connect to a "website" on one of our internal windows servers, running IIS. We put an auto refresh in the page and what ever content is being displayed can be remotely updated to the windows server. This has worked well for simple signage and animation, but we just purchased some bright sign boxes to connect to the tv's to try to enhance the experience. The commercial tv's have been running fine for just over a year every day for 12 hours a day. 

John Jorgensen
    Thanksgiving Point Institute
    Lehi UT

• 11.  RE: Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-13-2015 04:42 PM
    Hi Sara,
    I'm planning to use a couple of large monitors from Samsung's LED H6350 series for an upcoming exhibit. My factors included size, price, input, and internal scheduling that will work for me. There are 40" and 32" models so they might work for you.

In regards to looping video, I've had good reliability with $50 Micca Speck players using USB micro drives such as the Sandisk Cruzer Fit series. I've noticed that USB drives last much longer than SD cards if you're planning to play something for 6 months or longer. The only annoying thing is that if you're planning to power the Micca off and on (say on a timer) you have to make sure to delete any system files that are on the USB drive along with your media file - the "autoplay" option will start with the first file in your "Movies" or "Music" folder, and if that file isn't a compatible media file it will simply display "Cannot Play File". But I'd say that taking care of that is still a huge time and cost savings in comparison to purchasing and setting up a BrightSign just to loop some content.

And a bit of experiential learning, for the benefit of others:

I'd highly recommend checking the manual of any consumer monitor that meets your initial requirements - sometimes the product seems great when you're looking at all of the features being marketed to you and reading a million reviews, but falls short when used in an exhibit. For example, I recently purchased some Samsung UN19F4000 monitors and the internal schedule only allows you to choose a TV channel or Music/Photo from the USB input - completely useless if you need to loop a video! Automated scheduling of equipment is a huge issue here, with about 200 media elements and 1 media staff to manage operations! We all have different demands, but if there's a real consequence to a feature not working you should definitely read the manual before pulling the trigger. I know, I know. It will be so worth it, though.

On the consumer vs. commercial equipment choice: As you can see from my recommendations to Sara, I've successfully used some consumer equipment and had reliability for the price over the course of 2 years here. I think the clearest example of choosing "professional" or "commercial" grade equipment would be in projectors.  If your budget is tight and the exhibit won't be up for more than a year or two, a consumer-grade projector will probably fulfill your needs. If you're planning a long-term exhibit with projectors a professional model will be worth the higher buy-in price in performance, reliability, and repairability because there is manufacturer support for software, firmware, long-term production of parts and repair service, and much better options for setup and control on our end.  If you go with a consumer model for long-term operation, you should plan to spend more time dealing with issues that crop up, trying to get responses from manufacturers, and hunting down replacement lamps after they're discontinued because the company is on to the next big thing to sell.

Sasha Dobbs
    Media Support Technician
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 12.  RE:Flat screen TV for upcoming exhibit

Posted 03-14-2015 02:13 PM
    We've had fantastic success in a new exhibit with using a $29 Raspberry Pi B+ set up with the easy tutorial here: https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-video-looper/overview

Also, you can just leave the Pi on all the time. It only uses about $0.20 worth of power per year.

Eric Ray
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    Museum of the Coastal Bend Victoria College
    Victoria TX