Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-02-2015 11:20 AM
    Hello Everyone, 

I need a few suggestions on how to exhibit art work on brick walls. Our space is very small and we are not allowed to drill into the brick. Currently we are using copper picture wire to hang the photographs from fixtures above the brick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to exhibit art work on brick without drilling into the wall? Thanks! 

-------------------------------------------
    Ana Woodall

• 2.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-02-2015 02:28 PM
    Hi Ana,
    There is a product out there called a brickgrip. They clamp on to the bricks and allow you to hang things from them. I've never used them, but I've heard mixed reviews, mostly because they don't work if the mortar goes right up to the edge of the brick. Also, they don't hold a lot of weight, and I'm not sure I would trust them with a valuable piece of art.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Steven Prokopchak
    Associate Producer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 3.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-03-2015 08:41 AM
    I thought about that and, unfortunately, the mortar goes right up to the edge of the brick for most of the wall. Also, if they do not hold that much weight, it wouldn't be a great investment, I don't think. Thank you though!

Ana Woodall

• 4.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-03-2015 09:38 AM
    Ana, The RISD Museum has had success with Arakowa hanging systems (arakowagrip.com) for use over walls that should not be drilled. Locking components make it safe, it's easy to use, and visually unobtrusive. Their reps can help you decide which system would work best over brick. I hope this helps, Ann

Ann Woolsey
    Independent Consultant
    Providence RI

• 5.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-03-2015 11:51 AM

Ana, I think that Ann's suggestion is a very good one. An approach that I have used in dealing with "untouchable" walls is to put up panels in front of the wall surfaces. Sometimes we have hung them from above, though with heavy panel materials, that can be a challenge. Placing the panels on legs is a possibility, and there are some spring-loaded types that work quite well for this.

Bruce MacLeish
    Curator Emeritus
    Newport Restoration Foundation
    Newport RI

• 6.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-04-2015 07:51 AM
    A cable system, such as Arakowa ( or others like it - Jakob Inox, etc) is certainly an approach worth considering. It does require a permanent attachment at each cable location, both top and bottom. That might present some challenges as well. I've specified them in past situations, but mostly in-case. They may not be robust enough if there's a ton of rough traffic. Also, you give up a few, perhaps precious, inches since they project a bit from the wall surface. By the way, the high price point of these cable solutions may surprise you so be prepared. Good luck. ------------------------------------------- Seth Frankel, Principal Studio Tectonic Boulder CO -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Exhibiting on Brick

Posted 03-04-2015 08:41 AM
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will take them all to my team and see if any are doable for our space. Thanks!

Ana Woodall