Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Managing Publication Deadlines

Posted 02-12-2015 09:17 AM
    We create a large quantity of printed materials from our Annual Report to invitations to brochures to exhibition materials and more....We are a small and very collaborative staff and as the marketing manager, I am responsible for managing these projects with our part time graphic designer. I am frustrated with the constant back and forth editing of these materials and feel like we are often behind on deadlines as a result. (There are so many cooks in this kitchen!) I would love to hear how other museums manage the creative process of printed materials. I know that we can be more effective, I'm just not sure how to do it.....please let me know if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Amy Mercer
    Marketing and Communications Director
    Gibbes Museum of Art
    Charleston SC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Managing Publication Deadlines

Posted 02-13-2015 11:15 AM
    Hi Amy

Our Communications & Marketing departments use software called Proof HQ to track edits. You might look into it.

Laura

Laura Caruso
    Head of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Managing Publication Deadlines

Posted 02-16-2015 11:11 AM

Hi Amy, 

At the Milwaukee Art Museum, we have two rounds of proofs. Before a project begins, our editor sends an email to all involved in the production process, with an overview of the project. The first thing that's stated is the project name (Annual Review), this is followed by the production schedule, which includes key dates, for example: Fact checked copy due: (Dec. 15); All images and edited copy to design: date due (Jan. 6) ; First design draft for review: dates available for view (exp: Wed. Feb.18- Mon. Feb. 25); Second design draft for review: dates available for view (exp: Wed March 4 - March 9); Date active online or print: (April 1). This is followed by a list of responsibilities, and who is responsible for them.

When the design drafts are ready to review, a paper copy is printed and put in a central location. At this time, the editor will send another email stating the location of the proof, and the dates the proof will be available. There is a cover sheet attached to the paper proof, which has a space for each person who needs to review the content to initial once they have proofed the material, and made any necessary changes on the hard copy. This allows everyone time to review the material, at their leisure, but within a set time frame, which helps to maintain the production deadline. 

I hope this is of some help.

All the best,

Lydelle 

Lydelle Abbott
    Assistant Registrar for Exhibitions & Loans/Rights & Reproductions Coordinator
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI