Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  rights & reproductions staffing

Posted 02-05-2015 12:48 PM

If you work at a mid-sized art museum (an institution with an annual budget between two and six million dollars) or at a university art museum I have a few questions for you.

Which staff member at your institution is responsible for handling reproductions requests for images of works in your collections?

Is this staff member also responsible for researching copyright issues and securing permissions for images of works in your collections? If not, who is?

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------
    Sofia Galarza Liu
    Collection Manager
    Spencer Museum of Art University of Kansas
    Lawrence KS
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: rights & reproductions staffing

Posted 02-06-2015 04:22 PM
    Hi Sofia,

The Museum at FIT is a mid-sized University Museum. The staff person who handles reproduction requests also permissions and licenses for our publications. Since we are a fashion museum, none of our collections are under copyright protection.

Hope that is of help.

Tamsen Young
    Digital Media & Strategic Initiatives Manager
    Museum at FIT
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: rights & reproductions staffing

Posted 02-09-2015 10:52 AM
    Hi Sofia, 

I am the Rights and Reproductions Coordinator at the Milwaukee Art Museum, and am also an Assistant Registrar. In my capacity as R&R Coordinator,  I spend approximately 50 percent of my time on my R&R responsibilities, which include researching copyright issues and securing permissions for images of works in our collection. I conduct research on an as needed basis, or as I have time.

I hope this is of some help!

All the best, 

Lydelle

Lydelle Abbott
    Assistant Registrar for Exhibitions & Loans/Rights & Reproductions Coordinator
    Milwaukee Art Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 4.  RE: rights & reproductions staffing

Posted 02-09-2015 02:24 PM
    Bishop Museum isn't an art museum but we do have a pretty substantial art collection.  Our reproduction requests are primarily for photographs, though.  Our archives staff handles the reproduction requests.  I usually research the copyright issues.

Barron Oda
    Associate General Counsel
    Bishop Museum
    Honolulu HI

• 5.  RE: rights & reproductions staffing

Posted 02-11-2015 09:19 AM
    Sofia,

I am the Registration Assistant, and I handle all of the R&R for my museum. This is about 80% of my job, which includes researching copyright issues, acquiring licenses and permissions as needed, and processing all image use both internally and for external requests.

Good luck with your survey!

Katherine Medlin
    Registration Assistant
    Mint Museum
    Charlotte NC