Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Label and exhibit writing

• 1.  Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-02-2015 12:49 PM
    Can anyone recommend a book or other resource on writing for exhibit labels and public education?  We're the hands-on room in the museum and we do nearly all of our own writing for our activities, mini-exhibits, and ads.  It runs the gamut from simple labels to more involved signs, instructions, and displays.  Thanks!

Kate McNeece
    Smead Discovery Center
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland, OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 05:57 AM
    The resource I come back to, over and over again, is Beverly Serrell's Exhibit Labels:  An Interpretive Approach.  
    And I always find prototyping labels extremely useful--  the USS Constitution Museum's Family Learning Forum has so many great resources, including ones on writing family friendly labels.

-------------------------------------------
    Linda Norris
    Independent Museum Professional
    Treadwell NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 07:44 AM
    Hello Kate:
    Yes: Beverley Serrell's Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach.
    She is straightforward about why certain types of writing do and do not work for exhibit labels, and provides plenty of concrete examples.
    Best of luck!

Heather Paroubek

• 4.  RE:Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 08:08 AM

Beverly Serrell's book on Exhibition Labels is a classic and a new edition is coming out. Also at www.name-AAM.org you will find back issues of Exhibitionist See Spring 2012 issue article Boxed & Ready to Travel on disc room exhib and labels.
    Gretchen Jennings
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 08:36 AM
    Interpretive Writing by Alan Leftridge (http://www.amazon.com/Interpretive-Writing-Alan-Leftridge/dp/1879931214) is pretty good. Very practical with lots of examples. I use it as a text in my exhibits class.

Dan

Dan Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology Beloit College
    Instructor of Museum Studies
    Beloit WI

• 6.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 08:57 AM
    I have found Serell's work very useful as well. In addition, I have found the below papers valuable and offering really good insights into label and exhibit writing. I have .pdf documents of both of these if you need me to email to you.

If You Can't See It Don't Say It
    A NEW APPROACH TO INTERPRETIVE WRITING
    KRIS WETTERLUND

Gallery text at the V&A
    A Ten Point Guide

Mark Osterman
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum & Gardens
    Miami FL

• 7.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 09:27 AM
    The absolute classic is Beverly Serrell's Exhibit Labels. There are other resources out there but this is the place to start.

Laura Caruso
    Head of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 09:33 AM
    Kathleen,
    You might also find AAM's upcoming webinar Exhibition Label Writing at Its Best helpful. 

Guzel duChateau
    Assistant Director, Strategic Communications
    American Alliance of Museums
    Washington DC

• 9.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 09:48 AM

The Participatory Museum, Nina Simon

The Manual of Museum Exhibitions, Barry Lord, Gail Dexter Lord

Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach by Beverly Serrell

Interpretive Writing by Alan Leftridge

Designing Interpretive Signs: Principles in Practice, Gianna Moscardo, Roy Ballantyne, Karen Hughes

Exhibition Design, Philip Hughes

Interpretive Planning for Museums: Integrating Visitor Perspectives in Decision Making, Marcella Wells, Barbara Butler, Judith Koke

Gwen McCausland
    Director
    Agricultural Heritage Museum South Dakota State University
    Brookings, SD

• 10.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 10:18 AM
    Kathleen,
    I consider the best book right now on writing museum exhibit labels to be Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive Approach By Beverly Serrell.  Although not specific to hands-on rooms in museums, the suggestions are great overall.  My copy is dog-eared and underlined and annotated and has stain marks from years of use!
    For hands-on/family labels, consider looking at what the USS Constitution's website familylearningforum.org - there's a whole section on "engaging text."

Good luck!
    Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 11.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-03-2015 04:07 PM
    Hi Kathleen,

I'm just finishing up an excellent course given by the Northern States Conservation Center called "Scripting the Exhibition."  Our main read was "Designing Interpretive Signs: Principles in Practice,"  by Moscardo/Ballantyne/Hughes.  It was very helpful.  We also used Serrell, among many other misc. articles.

Hope this helps!
    D

Dana Hicks PhD
    Curator
    The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage
    Arcadia CA

• 12.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-04-2015 09:04 AM
    A couple of works that go beyond Serrell's approach to texts are:
    Wallace, Margot A. (2014) Writing for Museums. Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham.
    Ravelli, Louise J. (2006) Museum Texts: Communication Frameworks Museum Meanings. Routledge, New York.

Peter Welsh
    Professor & Director of Museum Studies
    University of Kansas, Museum Studies Program
    Lawrence KS

• 13.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-04-2015 11:54 AM
    While it is not aimed squarely at museum interpretive labels, I like the book "White Space Is Not Your Enemy", by Golumbisky and Hagen.  It's a general graphic design book that offers good examples of successful and unsuccessful layouts, and many of the methods in the book can be applied to exhibit label copy. 

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

• 14.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-05-2015 09:30 AM

The Victoria & Albert Museum in London has developed a Ten Point Guide for their Gallery Text for their internal use.  It is an excellent and practical example of how one institution has tackled the ever-challenging problem if exhibition label copy.  The guide is practical and offers several before and after examples of old and labels and the revised labels under their new standards.  The guide is available for download in PDF format at the following address:  www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/v/v-and-a-gallery-text-guidelines/

Tim Ternes
    Director, The Saint John´s Bib
    Hill Museum and Manuscript Library
    Collegeville MN

• 15.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-06-2015 10:41 AM
    Thanks, everyone!  This is a tremendous help!

Kathleen McNeece
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH

• 16.  RE: Label and exhibit writing

Posted 02-09-2015 10:15 AM
    Great resources here! Just wanted to chime in, I saw someone mention my guide: "If You Can't See It Don't Say It" but didn't post the link. The entire guide is online at: http://tamtamsp.pressbooks.com

Kris Wetterlund
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning NY