Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 01-30-2015 04:52 PM

Docent program. Field trip. Curriculum. Classroom outreach. Object trunks. Teacher trainings. Lectures. Summer camps. Scavenger hunts. Happy hours. Festivals.

Have you ever noticed that most museums offer nearly identical education programs? Why is that? Is there a law that states that, in order to maintain its Museum License, each organization regardless of size and scope must offer a prescribed  menu of programs?

I am trying to explore a mindset that I have started referring to as "small museum inferiority complex." It's a state of mind that seems to reflect an ingrained idea that, in order to be regarded as a "true" museum that the institution must offer a core of staple programs. It's a type of mania that continues to add new programs, targeting different audiences, in a desperate attempt to remain relevant. Yet, for all that comes in, little if anything is cut loose. The end result is that quality of the programming is uneven at best or evenly mediocre at worst. It assumes that museums must be all things to all people.

The negative effects of SMIC are exacerbated when museums spend little time working with one another to find out if and when they are duplicating services. In some instances, multiple museums are offering nearly identical programs for the same audience in the same market. E.g. Colorado History + 4 th Grade Social Studies Students + Gold Rush Lesson = Discovery Trunk Filled with Mining Crap. (Simply use same formula and replace variables with your region's claim to fame).

And, to be fair, this inferiority complex is not endemic to small museums only-it can also afflict larger institutions who feel somehow beholden to maintain a certain core of programming.

So, I am curious to know-do others perceive this same issue?

Does your museum fall into this same trap?

How do you decide which programs to keep or dump?

Does your museum have any sacred cow programs that can't be challenged, no matter how much they are floundering? Why is that so?

How and how often to you inventory and evaluate programs for success?

Do you coordinate with other local museums to assure that you are not only not duplicating programs, but actually working together to create complimentary programs?

Are you aware of communities of museums working together to create intentionally complimentary programs, or identifying markets together?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. You can respond to the group or send me a private email at nrichie@goldenhistory.org.

Sincerely,

Nathan Richie

Director

Golden History Museums

923 10th St.

Golden, CO 80401

303.278.3557 (Main)

303.277.8712 (Direct)

GoldenHistory.org   

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 01-31-2015 10:31 AM
    Being part of a new museum, we continuously ask ourselves, "what's the best way to do that?" We have a habit of questioning everything about our practice, to decide one of two things:

1) Should we do this the way we've always done it? or 2) Should we change the way that's done? (And, if so, why?)

We're only 3 years old, so we're new enough that we don't have sacred cows. We have a supportive board and executive leadership team, so questioning practice and trying innovative ideas is encouraged. And, we really do build our programming from a place of guest interest, need, and patterns.

Within this process, we have created some things that are different - and some that are in the standard list stated in this post. But at every step, we know why we're doing what we're doing.

Maybe that's the key - if we are all doing the same things across the country, and we know why we're doing them, perhaps that means that people everywhere need the same things from their museums, regardless of their location or discipline. 

-------------------------------------------
    Niki Stewart
    Director of Education & Engagement
    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
    Bentonville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-01-2015 07:25 AM

Aliyu Abdu
    Curator/Heritage Manager
    National Commission For Museums and Monuments
    Kano

• 4.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-01-2015 08:41 AM
    Several years ago, Ron Chew wrote a wonderful article--manifesto, really--titled "In Praise of Small Museums." I found it here:  http://museumsnewspaper.blogspot.com/2012/02/in-praise-of-small-museum-elogio-del.html . It is inspiring for those who toil in museums of any size, and especially affirming for those in small museums. And, it asserts that 75% of museums at that time (2002) had budgets under $250,000.

In his article, Chew concludes, "In rural towns, in inner city neighborhoods, on tribal lands, at colleges, in parks, these institutions empower their residents, reshape cultural understanding, and challenge us to look at ourselves in new ways. Small museums affirm the value and character of their communities. Their work has been done quietly, steadily, and honorably for many years." Having worked with a number of small/emerging cultural institutions, I couldn't agree more.

Good luck Nathan -- and thank you for your good and thoughtful post.

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactors Counsel, LLC
    Columbus OH

• 5.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-09-2015 01:22 PM
    Hi Nathan,

Very glad to see someone raising the questions you are-especially someone in a director position.

Are you familiar with Paul Thistle's essay about fully loaded camels? You might appreciate reading it for Paul's thoughts about the "more, more, more" attitude we can easily fall into in museums. One of Paul's primary concerns is that museums are continually taking on more without, as you note, cutting anything loose. The cost is the very well-being of museum professionals, who then burnout and leave the field.

As someone who has studied well-being and time balance issues in museums, I also think best practices and assessments can work against us sometimes because they assume the sort of one-size-fits-all fallacy that you mention.

I would love to see more museums working together to develop complimentary programs and identify markets. Here in Seattle, we have the WISE Consortium, which is taking steps in that direction. I am not directly involved in their work, but I know that last spring they conducted an audience research study across their different institutions to better understand which visitor segments each of them might be serving. The group of Denver institutions doing audience research studies together might also be one to look into.

Do you have an idea what you might do with the information you find out as you ask these questions? I encourage you to keep the conversation going by continuing to share. If you'd like to correspond around this issue, I'd be happy to discuss further via email: andreamichelbach@gmail.com.

All the best,
    Andrea

Andrea Michelbach
    Project Manager and Content Strategist
    Burke Museum of Natural History & Culture
    Seattle WA

mpwellbeing.weebly.com

• 6.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-10-2015 11:40 AM

I find this thread very interesting. Yes it appears we do all the same things and I admit to not spending enough time on the planning and evaluation aspects of programming. I am attempting to write a program plan which would include rentals, education progams, inbterpretive planning (we have the traditional historic mansion - original family collections - no exhibit spaces etc). Local museums have been offering what we have traditionally done and in some cases used our speakers etc. Yes I agree that we should get together and partner but think that it should go beyond museums - libraries etc. are now doing all sorts of "museum type programs too."

I find a lot of sites follow trends - Downton Abbey teas were extremely popular last year for example. 

To answer Nathan's questions - yes agree with the issue you have raised / we do fall into the same trap / we do have an evaluation sheet for programs but do not use every time - I find that the quality programs are not well attended while the fun activities are. We end up dumping the quality at times due to bottom line issues. 

I am interested in what others are doing / any additional resources or thoughts would be most welcome.

Marilynn Havelka
    Chief Administrative Officer
    Ruthven Park
    Cayuga ON

• 7.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-11-2015 07:18 AM
    Hi Nathan and yes thanks for posting the challenge.  I would like to say three quick things:
    1. With testing overload and standards-confusion in the public schools, museums may continue to take on a greater role in educating America (Pre-K to Gray).  Planning deliberately for informal learning takes focus and monitoring (or said another way:  interpretive planning and evaluation.
    2. A couple years ago I worked on a plan with a client who was very successful in programming but the staff was quickly getting to the edge of burnout.  When we did the program inventory for their plan, they were doing literally 100s of programs (and this was a relatively small org.).  Once we got them all listed out and organized by topic, target audience, goals, and expected outcomes, we were then able to eliminate some, consolidate others, and develop really tight criteria future decisions about any new programming.  Again, loosing sight of what you are doing and/or what purpose you are serving in the community can implode the best of education departments or even organizations.
    3. On a current plan (different client in a very small community), we have identified 25 other entities that provide informal education and much of it is nature education/nature centers/environment/ecology.  These entitles represent public, private, and ngos in the community and region at the federal, state, and local levels.  Armed with this information we are proposing that, rather than compete with each other, they (a) share information about each others' programs, (b) complement each others programs where possible, and more importantly, (c) collaborate on a regional 'ethic' or 'ethos' statement that basically suggests something like (still in progress), "when you come to our area, this is how we view our natural resources - they are the basis of our economic and community fabric and we ask that you be a steward" and then be clear about what that means for the visitors.  Although this is an outdoor education client, I view it not differently than a museum who is working in a community to showcase what is special and unique about that community.  I feel that community and regional collaborations in education and learning will be a big part of our future.

Thanks for the challenge, Nathan.  These kinds of conversations are fun and healthy.

Marcella Wells
    Interpretive Planning and Evaluation Consultant
    Wells Resources, Inc.
    Fort Collins CO

• 8.  RE: Exploring Small Museum Inferiority Complex

Posted 02-10-2015 04:20 PM
    Nathan,

I will reply to your question and hope this is useful.

So, I am curious to know-do others perceive this same issue?
    I have not considered it a "trap" as much as an issue of individual creativity. I look to other museums for ideas, but often get them at conferences or walking in the woods.

Does your museum fall into this same trap?
    I am of the mindset that small museums need to experiment with programming to find what works best. In some cases, adapting a program that is successful at another museum works, but not there are no guarantees. A couple of years ago, I found a "breakfast with dinosaurs" at the Carnegie Museum. We have fossils, no dinosaurs, but access to live raptors. We did a "breakfast with the raptors" program. It was marginally successful. My 'Family Paleontology Camp' is a one-of-a-kind program, and I regularly get participants from coast to coast. Finding a niche requires a thorough knowledge of where your museum connects with public interest. That means research and experimentation.

How do you decide which programs to keep or dump?
    Marginally successful = not worth repeating year after year. We will repeat an event because of variables like media response (sometimes they will promote an event, sometimes they won't). A popular event or program will be repeated until it is not longer popular. We annually review programs to determine what we will repeat. In our case, the Dept. of Natural Resources event calendar has to be prepared 6 months before the new year. In many cases, that is before the current year's event has occurred.

Does your museum have any sacred cow programs that can't be challenged, no matter how much they are floundering?
    Yes. Public hikes. As a state park we are more-or-less mandated to offer hikes between Memorial and Labor Day weekends. Often hikes have an attendance of zero. But we persevere and offer 'roving' times when volunteers or staff just go outside and interact with visitors.

Why is that so?
    Hikes are a core service for all state parks. Museums have have core services like docent-guided tours. In our case, the decision is out of our control. Museums don't have that issue unless it is an immutable core mission.

How and how often to you inventory and evaluate programs for success?
    Constantly. Staff that coordinate events and programs look at attendance numbers versus mitigating factors (weather, traffic problems to get to our site, success of media releases, etc.) We meet annually to review all programs and meet after a special event to discuss what worked and what didn't (and why).

Do you coordinate with other local museums to assure that you are not only not duplicating programs, but actually working together to create complimentary programs?

Yes. We have a local 'Cultural Consortium' consisting of some 80 organizations (non-profit, for-profit, government, you name it) in partnership with local school SYSTEMS (at the administrative level). We focus on collaboration, not competition. For over 30 years is has worked wonderfully in the Louisville, KY area. There have been many unique out-of-the-box collaborations between organizations that have benefited school groups in particular. Duplication isn't necessarily bad if your museum's mission is different from another one. Settings are unique and what works 'okay' at one location  may be 'phenomenal' at another.

Are you aware of communities of museums working together to create intentionally complimentary programs, or identifying markets together?
    See note above. I am working to develop a regional marketing program where visitors interested in fossils can work from a list of parks and museums to see what is available in the region. Wineries and distilleries have been doing this successfully for years. Why not museums?

Creativity is the first step in developing truly new programs. It is impossible to be innovative without it. Getting to know what motivates visitors to visit a museum is fundamental. Talk to them. Ask questions. A great topic!!!

Alan Goldstein
    Interpretive Naturalist
    Falls of The Ohio State Park Interpretive Center
    Clarksville IN