Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

• 1.  One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-15-2015 04:55 PM
    Hello everyone,

In addition to my day job, I am the Professional Development Chair for the EdCom Professional Network. We're co-hosting a webinar next Wednesday on effective museum outreach programs, and there is such a richness of variety in the types of outreach and community engagement being done across the country, that I'd be really interested to hear about your best outreach program. What is it? Who do you work with? How do you engage your community? Other groups, non-profits, etc...?

Thanks in advance for sharing any really great outreach programs!

-------------------------------------------
    Anthony Pennay
    Director, Annenberg Learning Center
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-16-2015 09:06 AM
    Please post information for accessing the webinar. We are particularly interest in blended learning for schools and interdisciplinary programs.
    Ellen

Ellen Rosenthal
    President & CEO
    Conner Prairie Museum
    Fishers IN

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-16-2015 09:13 AM

More information about the program, and how to register, is available on our website here: http://aam-us.org/resources/online-programs/museum-outreach

--

Guzel duChateau
    Assistant Director, Strategic Communications
    T: 202-218-7681  •  F: 202-289-6578
    gduchateau@aam-us.org

American Alliance of Museums
    1575 Eye Street N.W., Suite 400  • Washington, D.C. 20005
    www.aam-us.org

2015_MakeYourCase_outline

• 4.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-16-2015 01:47 PM
    Hi Tony,
    I read about the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach, CA and how they purchased a bus to pick kids up and bring them to the museum.  Not exactly outreach in the strictest sense...but innovative!
    www.scpr.org/blogs/education/2014/10/10/17383/long-beach-museum-looks-to-buck-trend-of-declining/

Also you might want to look at the Whatcom Museum's outreach to homeless adults and families - more about that at
    http://incluseum.com/2013/09/11/the-whatcom-museum-serves-homeless-adults-and-families-year-2/
    I love how they are reaching this population.

Claudia

Claudia Ocello
    President & CEO
    Museum Partners Consulting
    Morristown NJ

• 5.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-21-2015 11:55 AM

Thank you, Caludia,

I hope the webinar today is able to venture into a bit of a discussion on some of the topics/ programs you mention below. Finding new and innovative ways to reach our communities, especially populations who might not normally find themselves drawn to our programs and exhibits, is just the sort of conversation we hope today will help continue!
    Anthony Pennay
    Simi Valley CA

• 6.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-21-2015 11:56 AM
    My apologies, Claudia, I noticed all too late that my fingers mixed up the spelling of your name...

Anthony Pennay
    Simi Valley CA

• 7.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-23-2015 08:36 AM
    Thanks for the great webinar!  It was inspiring to hear what others are doing!

Dulcimer Hause
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

• 8.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-24-2015 09:54 PM

Aliyu Abdu
    Curator/Heritage Manager
    National Commission For Museums and Monuments
    Kano
    Yes, My museum in Kano Nigeria is planning to reach out to the Kano central prison with a few package comprising of a demonstration project on making local detergent (which we donate the end product for them), a small drama presentation and an exhibition on some interesting features on kano historic urban landscape. We have never reached out to this segment of our community before but we all agree that it will be a great idea to reach out to them with something refreshing from the museum. 

• 9.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-26-2015 12:54 PM

Hello Aliyu,

What an interesting form of outreach. I wonder what other museums are doing in terms of reaching populations such as these. We have a program here that brings incarcerated youth to visit the museum. Thus far we've been very pleased with the program. It was initiated by a member of our security team, and shows that at a museum we are all educators!
    Anthony Pennay
    Simi Valley CA

• 10.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-27-2015 08:54 AM
    Anthony,

What an interesting program with the incarcerated youth!  How can I find out more about that?  I'd be curious to read more.

Dulcimer Hause
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

• 11.  RE: One Good Thing: Great Museum Outreach Programs

Posted 01-26-2015 12:50 PM
    Thank you, Dulcimer, for the feedback on the program. We hope to provide other such programs in the future- please feel free to share any ideas!

Anthony Pennay
    Simi Valley CA