Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creating Education Outcomes

Posted 01-05-2015 01:42 PM

Our history museum is in the midst of a three year renovation of not only our building, but also our education programming.  We have an education philosophy for the museum and would like to see what other education programs use as far as goals or measurables under their philosophy.

Some of the questions we are curious about include:

*Does your organization have outcomes and deliverables set in place?  i.e., "When a student visits ABC Museum, they will experience  XYZ."  

*Are there outcomes set in place for the different programming areas - student, educator, adult, family?

*Are there outcomes for each exhibit area - including traveling exhibits?

We have pulled a lot of links from natural history and art museums and want to see what other museums are doing.  Thank you in advance for your help.

-------------------------------------------
    Ellen Morfit
    Education Outreach Coordinator
    Idaho State Historical Museum
    Boise ID
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Creating Education Outcomes

Posted 01-06-2015 02:59 PM

I am an advocate for creating goals for visitors overall, for different types of audiences, and for programs. I have done this as Head of Education at The Noguchi Museum, and am currently working with another museum to help them do this work. If you want more information feel free to contact me at rherz-at-peoriaparks.org.

Rebecca Herz
    Director, Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Creating Education Outcomes

Posted 01-06-2015 07:37 PM
    Dear Ellen.  You are quite right about the importance of writing outcomes.  In the book I have recommended we have provided information about writing outcomes and impacts at an institutional level as well as a project level.  The book is Wells, Butler, Koke, (2013) "Interpretive Planning for Museums: Integrating Visitor Perspectives in Decision Making",  Walnut Creek, CA:Left Coast Press.  One entire chapter is devoted to providing assistance in writing educational outcomes and other chapters provide examples of outcomes for specific educational projects and for learning outcomes to guide educational programming at an institutional level.  I think you will find this book quite helpful!  

Barbara Butler PhD
    Placitas, NM

• 4.  RE: Creating Education Outcomes

Posted 01-07-2015 10:05 AM
    Dear Ellen,

Writing and using outcomes for museum learners and learning experiences is critical in the same way that having goals for marketing, development, budget, etc. are. And like those other areas of accountability, they fit within a larger museum framework. One difference is that they focus on the learner. Here are a few pretty basic qualities for framing learner outcomes.

• Specific outcomes fit within the museum's larger strategic and learning context and emerge from its mission, educational purpose, learning framework, audience goals, etc..
    • Outcomes take into account the nature of informal learning settings and the particular type of experience: learner outcomes are necessarily different for an exhibition, a program, or an extended and facilitated experience like a camp.
    • Learner outcomes are not limited to content or cognitive outcomes, but include other aspects of learning like social-emotional, and physical outcomes.
    • Outcomes reflect an understanding of developmental appropriateness, which doesn't end with preschool or even elementary school.
    • When a museum works within a larger learning framework and a broader view of learning, learner outcomes specific to an exhibition, initiative, set of programs, etc..can be developed and monitored.

One thing I remind museums that i work with is that a learning framework with learner goals and outcomes is an on-going set of practices, not a one time effort, although an initial larger-scale effort that engages staff from across the museum is likely to be necessary for initiating and internalizing these important ideas about learning. Good luck and have fun!

Jeanne Vergeront
    Minneapolis MN