Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 12-16-2014 10:03 AM
    Hello!  I am currently planning an information session for our Docent-in-Training program that deals with behavior management skills.  I want to have some more information besides just my experiences with tours and teaching in the classroom and thought they might appreciate some articles relating to the subject.  Does anyone have any go-to sources or articles?

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------
    Dulcimer Hause
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 12-18-2014 07:30 PM
    Two groups you might contact are the American Association for Museum Volunteers (http://www.aamv.org/) and the National Association for Interpretation (http://www.interpnet.com/).   Both of these have very knowledgeable members and lots of good resources on their websites.

Janice Klein
    Executive Director
    Museum Association of Arizona
    Tempe AZ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 12-30-2014 12:58 PM

A fantastic book on in-gallery teaching is:

Burnham, Rika and Elliot Kai-Kee. Teaching in the Art Museum: Interpretation as Experience. Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 2011.

Very informative / inspiring.
    Good luck!

Heather Paroubek

• 4.  RE: Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 01-01-2015 06:13 PM
    I second the endorsement of Burnham and Kai -Kee. It is an excellent book and even has a chapter on the history of museum education, which is fascinating!. ------------------------------------------- Cathy Callaway Museum Educator Museum of Art & Archaeology, University of Missouri - Columbia Columbia MO -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 01-02-2015 12:27 PM
    The Good Guide: A Sourcebook for Interpreters, Docents, and Tour Guides by Grinder and McCoy is a comprehensive resource that discusses behavior management, especially as it relates to school group visits.  It is out of print, but used copies are available through Amazon. While admittedly outdated (1985) I still find it useful. (Grinder and McCoy, if you're reading this, maybe it's time for a 2nd ed!) 

Kari Nelson
    Curator of Education
    Brigham Young University- Museum of Peoples & Cultures
    Provo UT

• 6.  RE: Articles relating to Behavior Managent skills for museum Docents

Posted 01-03-2015 05:54 AM
    Hi,

I would like to respond off line to your question about behavior management skills for docents. Much of what you are asking about, I believe, has to do with understanding your audiences. You have two - your docents and the visitors/school groups. Let me know if you would like to go further with this conversation.

Thanks,

Pru

Sent from my iPad