Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer Trends

Posted 11-21-2014 09:21 AM
    I am interested in finding a study about or hearing your thoughts on volunteer trends in museums. I am acting as volunteer manager (not docents) in addition to my regular duties and I need to catch up what's been happening in the recent past. We love our volunteers and want their experience to be rewarding. Whatever insight you have would be greatly appreciated. 

-------------------------------------------
    Nancy Turner
    Director of Community Relations
    Columbus Museum of Art
    Columbus OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer Trends

Posted 11-21-2014 05:55 PM
    I have a rather unique background in museums given that the museum I began my career in is composed 100% of volunteers. That's right, there are no paid employees! It is a small, local museum, but there are consistently between 20 and 30 volunteers at any time during the year. That does not include the board members. Of course there are the summer student volunteers who work a few hours a week, but many of the volunteers work nearly full-time jobs at the museum. Many of the volunteers are retirees who were looking for a way to get out of the house, but they have stayed because they fell in love with the mission of the museum, to bring the history of the county to the residents.

Chesley Peabody
    National Music Museum
    Vermillion SD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer Trends

Posted 11-22-2014 02:30 PM
    Nancy,

The American Association for Museum Volunteers (http://www.aamv.org/) may be one source of trends for museum volunteers.  Another helpful resource is the National Council of Nonprofits (http://www.councilofnonprofits.org/resources/resources-topic/volunteers).  Nonprofits across the sector are struggling to attract and retain more demographically diverse volunteers, but are using programs, tools and messaging that may no longer be effective today.

Anne W. Ackerson
    Former Director of the Museum Association of New York and Independent Museum Consultant
    Troy, NY

• 4.  RE:Volunteer Trends

Posted 11-23-2014 09:29 AM
    Hi Nancy and Anne-

Another resource I find amazingly helpful is Energize (http://www.energizeinc.com). Lots of great articles and discussions and tips...

I am always challenged when it comes to managing volunteers because the idea of volunteering is changing and some of us smaller sites are struggling to keep up with it and the new generation of volunteers' expectations. But I find Energize to be a great resource and it keeps me inspired :-)

Thanks,
    Rachel
    Rachel Barnes
    Education and Volunteer Coordinator
    William S. Hart Ranch & Museum
    Newhall CA