Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

• 1.  Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-18-2014 03:33 PM
    I am looking for examples of successful combinations of history organizations, either from outright mergers, or from the formation of umbrella organizations that jointly handle some functions like development and marketing.  I am not looking for state historical societies with branch operations, but with predominantly private organizations in local communities.  If you know if any, please let me know.  Thank you!

-------------------------------------------
    Gary Smith
    Director of Strategic Projects
    Dallas County Heritage Society, Dallas Heritage Village
    Dallas TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-19-2014 08:56 AM
    Cincinnati Museum Center is a multi-museum complex housed in historic Union Terminal, a 1930s Art Deco train station. Opened in 1990, the complex includes two legacy institutions dating back to 1818 and 1831. It now includes the Cincinnati History Museum, Cincinnati History Library & Archives, Duke Energy Children's Museum, Museum of Natural History & Science and Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX Theater. In 2012, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center became a subsidiary of Cincinnati Museum Center. Although each institution retains its own separate 501(c)(3) status, many of the "back office" functions are now merged, resulting in considerable cost savings.

Robyn Gibboney PhD
    Grant Writer/Foundation Relations Manager
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    Cincinnati OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-19-2014 05:01 PM
    I have also been searching for information regarding museum mergers. I have been working to save an old post office building by creating a cultural center. One of the items that has come up is structuring the organization so it includes the local history museum and local arts center- both struggling financially along with other organizational issues. Instead of having 3 separate organizations, would one new organization be best or would restructuring by altering the by-laws of one of the existing ones preferred. This is a very small community- population 15,000 so having all under one roof makes sense. Thanks!

Lavinia Gwinn

• 4.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-21-2014 08:40 AM
    Lavinia, thanks for your response.  Several years ago I worked with trying to merge two established historical groups.  We looked at different ways to structure it---new organization or alter the by-laws and fold the other in.  Our attorneys ultimately suggested that the easiest way would be to have one organization adopt new by-laws that would serve for the merged organization, and then formally roll the other organization into it.  In actuality it was a merger, but technically it was one organization being swallowed by the other.  Unfortunately, there were a few people against the merger who exploited the "technicality" of one organization being taken over by the other. 
    By the time they got done denouncing the "takeover" the merger was sunk.  This is one of the reasons why I am exploring the idea of umbrella organizations, so no one loses their identity, but you still get some cost savings and shared efforts on things like fund raising and marketing.  I like your idea of having everyone under one roof.

Gary

Gary Smith
    Dallas TX

• 5.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-21-2014 12:15 PM
    Interesting discussion.  I'm trying to do something similar, but with friends groups.  Tricky, since they each have their own tax identity, and I'm not a member, but it makes far more sense to have one community museum friends organization rather than each site having its own . . . all with cross-over membership, and all trying to raise money for different museums within the same City-run museum system.

James Mackay
    Director
    The Lyceum
    Alexandria VA

• 6.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-12-2015 08:20 AM
    Thanks. I think we are heading toward a similar situation with regards to the "technicality." Understandably, volunteers have strong attachments to their organizations' identity. Also, I think going through this process is like peeling the layers of an onion. 

Lavinia Gwinn

• 7.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-11-2015 10:35 AM
    Do you know the Frist Center for the Arts in Nashville?  They are in what was once an Art Deco Post Office.  It's a beautiful facility and they may be able to share insights as to how they worked with the city/feds to create a museum.  God luck with your project.

Lisbeth Mark
    Managing Principal, Bow Bridge Communications
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-12-2015 06:32 AM
    The Lynn Museum in Lynn Mass is merging with Arts Lynn. They are between executive directors and the merger is in its early stages, so I'm not sure how much guidance you will get, but it seems like a similar situation. Also, I think the history museum of York PA are the result of merging several smaller organizations under one umbrella. Larger organizations in a small city - the Berkshire Museum and Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield Mass are exploring merger. ------------------------------------------- Laura Roberts Principal Roberts Consulting Cambridge MA -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-13-2015 08:17 AM
    The  New Bedford Whaling Museum and Old Dartmouth Historical Society in MA  successfully merged governance, collections and buildings over a number of  years in the past decade.   An unusual example in the past five years is  the South Shore Natural Science Center in MA which  explored merging with the multi site regional YMCA .  The SSNSC merger is worth exploring as there were learning curves on both sides.

Anne Alexandra Allardt
    Principal and Managing Directo
    ArtCare Resources
    Newport RI

• 10.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 11-20-2014 09:10 AM
    Take a look at the Center for Jewish History in New York, which houses the American Jewish Historical Society, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, Yeshiva University Museum, American Sephardi Federation and Leo Baeck Institute. www.cjh.org .

Ward Mintz
    Executive Director, Coby Foundation
    New York NY

• 11.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-10-2015 09:58 AM
    We went through a merger/umbrella group transformation of a different kind--going from City run to Private-Public Partnership. As such, the City owns the building, collections, and has oversight of the operations (and allows us to utilize their IT, attorneys, maintenance, etc, which we pay monthly for). Our employees however, no longer work for the city. It's a unique balance of responsibilities, which gets more complex with the inclusion of a City-appointed Advisory Board and a Nonprofit Friends Board.  

Please let me know if you'd like further details, or to discuss the nuances. I'd be more than happy to share how our experiences transpired--it's just complicated to type out! 

Jillian Becquet
    Collections Manager & Registrar
    Corpus Christi Museum of Science & History
    Corpus Christi TX

• 12.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-12-2015 09:15 AM
    Although not specifically museums, an example of two large 501c3s merging is the Civil War Trust and the Association for the Preservation of Civil War Sites (APCWS) in 2000 to form the Civil War Preservation Trust (since 2011 the Civil War Trust). This was accomplished with only two dissenting votes on the boards of both organizations. They merged as much as they could (including logos) and jettisoning duplicative processes.

The merger took over a year of close negotiations, but ultimately was successful, especially since most leaders on both sides recognized the need for the merger.

As an additional thought, I'd look at corporate mergers and how those were worked, such as the formation of Citigroup and the Bank One-JP MorganChase merger. Although some details will be different, many of the problems of amalgamation will be similar.

Good luck!

Christopher Kolakowski
    Director
    MacArthur Memorial
    Norfolk VA

• 13.  RE: Umbrella Organizations/Mergers among history museums

Posted 01-14-2015 10:04 AM
    I want to thank everyone for their responses to my original post.  Strangely, when I have checked back for additional posts over the past six weeks or so, nothing was showing up.  I figured the discussion had already run its course. Then, yesterday, all of the posts from the past few weeks have been magically appearing!  So, I apologize for not responding sooner, and I want to let you all know that I will be following up with each of you individually.  Thanks again!

Gary Smith
    Dallas TX