Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Documenting provenance and legal compliance for acquisitions of regulated specimens

Posted 07-07-2020 03:44 PM

Greetings all and thank you in advance for your input,

Where might one look for published standards or organizational policies regarding the documents an institution should compile and retain for acquisitions? I'm specifically interested in those related to establishing proof of legal acquisition for regulated specimens (import, export, and collection permits). Resources are being compiled with the goal of creating a zoo specific standard to outline the types of documents which should transfer with all live animals and biological samples. While the scope of my project is focused on living collections, the need to document legal compliance is universal to the broader museum community so resources for any and all collection types are greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Melody Brooks
    Animal Registrar, San Diego Zoo
    mbrooks@sandiegozoo.org
    Phone: (619) 718-3527
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Documenting provenance and legal compliance for acquisitions of regulated specimens

Posted 07-13-2020 06:17 PM
    Melody,
    This is not my line but if you do not mind there is one comment which I would like to make.  It is that one time I remember reading about how racehorses have passports just like people did for traveling.  It also showed how this included even more photos than what ours do.  Showing more angles from above and I think both profiles.  Perhaps this could give you a starting point.
    Jerry Foley

Jerry Foley
    GPO
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Documenting provenance and legal compliance for acquisitions of regulated specimens

Posted 07-14-2020 08:47 AM
    Hello Melody,

Like Jerry, I am also not an expert in collections management. However, when I started at my current Nature Center, we had (have, I am still working on it) an unmanaged collection of biological specimens, including remains of sea turtles, marine mammals, corals and other protected species. First, I had to work with the FWC to expand our permits just to house the specimens. Now we are working on cataloguing the collection.

Regarding your request for for published standards, I was recommended A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections by Malaro and DeAngeles by a colleague. They have a section on "Laws protecting plants and wildlife (and parts thereof)" which should be helpful. I actually forgot about this book until just now, so I ordered it and will be working with you from across the country!

Cheers,

Cory Keester-O'Mills
    Exhibits Coordinator
    Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
    Boca Raton FL